Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Home Installation

• 08-12-2007 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

I am considering installing a smart home system when we start building in the new year. To date I have 1 quote for 12,000 euro for a 6 zone Russound installation which sounds ridiculously expensive.
    I have also heard there may be some issues with russound touch pads.
    Does anyone have previous experience of this equipment.

Because of the lack of information i am now considering pre-installing all the necessary wiring during the build and then take my time to learn some more on the most suitable system.

My question,
    What type of wiring do i need to install to future proof our home
    I plan to put all my hi-fi/sky/dvd/broadband in one central location either under the stairs or in the study and control it by IR or similar.
    Would i be covered in running 3-4 lengths of Cat 5E and coax to each room along with speaker cable. Do i need to run Cat 5 to room entrance for control panels or is it better to contol by remote.Is it possible to get HD cable to run alongside the coax in case we ever get a sky hd box
    Appreciate any tips or advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Pocky

Get a high grade future proof cabling infrastructure that will carry anything up to SKY HD from the central unit to all your rooms and various locations in the rooms and run Cat5 to the places where you want control pads in the future.

Using Cat5/6 today with coax will not give you flexibility for the future. After all you do not know what kind of TV or system or signal distribution you will use in the future. So your coax might be obsolete if you go IPTV throughout your house - doesn't need to come into your house if you tend towards multimedia PC.

So one infrastructure for all where you only need to use appropriate connection cable which you can change any time.

Look at http://www.homenetsupport.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

What about SONOS instead? It is wireless and seems pretty impressive. I am going to install Sonos in the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

I've a Sonos system that I now have 7 zones running from - it's amazingly flexible - you can move zones around if you need to, I've two controllers and can add more at any time and I can also control the entire system from any laptop or PC within the network.

If I was starting from scratch again, I'd cat6 the entire house, and run everything wirelessly with the cable for high bandwidth requirements. The Sonos is hard to beat, but wont carry video, etc.

Advertisement