Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco- Argos code on Item

Options
  • 08-12-2007 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys
    I bought a Goodmans microsystem in Tesco the other day and when i got it home i happened to notice some white stickers on the side of the box covering another larger sticker. Had a closer look and found that the larger sticker has a 7 digit code that happens to be Argos's catalogue code for this stereo. I thought maybe someone had pulled a fast one and returned it to tesco to get a refund, but i was shopping in another Tesco store on Thursday and had a look at some of their units and they have the same Argos code on them as well(covered up).

Whats the story there? Tesco arent anything to do with Argos afaik.
    Is it just a case of coming from the same supplier?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭GBX

It could be possibly the supplier uses a similar product reference system to argos. Did you check the reference number on the argos website or the book?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Yeah i checked it in the Argos catalogue and the code brings up the same micro system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It could be just that they both get the system from the same supplier and ended up with units that have Argos stickers on the box. It's only a code rather than branding, so I suppose it doesn't matter to Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Maybe they were labelled for Argos and they cancelled the shipment and then offered to Tesco. Was it the same price or cheaper/dearer in the book?

Tesco were selling it at E89.99
    Argos catalogue price was E103.19 but it was on offer in one of their brochures for E70something- Sorry cant be exact on price as the brochure was last seen in the hands of my 2 year old nephew!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Its excess stock that Argos didnt sell. They get sent back to the supplier, who in turn sells them to Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

chasm wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    I bought a Goodmans microsystem in Tesco the other day and when i got it home i happened to notice some white stickers on the side of the box covering another larger sticker. Had a closer look and found that the larger sticker has a 7 digit code that happens to be Argos's catalogue code for this stereo.

slightly off-topic but i am highly impressed that:

a) you looked at a sticker that was covered by another sticker
    b) saw a number and then managed to connect it to the Argos order number

Well what can i say-Im an inquisitive soul!
    Actually i was looking up the model on the internet as the instructions provided were a bit crap as regards the usb function.
    When you buy items from Argos they usually have a large-ish sticker on it saying for example "household electrical" or "pre-school toys" and it was that sticker that caught my eye. Where the code was written 2 little white stickers had been stuck over it.
    In fairness i'd say anyone who has ever shopped in argos knows they use 7 digit codes, so i doubt im ready for a job as a PI just yet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Noticed that before once or twice, even in some cases the sticker wasn't covered, so I called the ring and reserve number to compare prices, I can't remember if it in Tesco.

Argos numbers are easy to see they have the number .../.... (3 digits / 4 digits)

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I've seen it on a lot of electrical stuff I've bought, especially travel adaptors and bits for my iPod. Anywhere I've bought it has always ended up being cheaper than the Argos price. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement