Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cider Vinegar?

• 09-12-2007 12:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭

So what exactly is the deal with this stuff? I have some and I throw it on salads. It's bandied around in health food stores and the internet as being the best thing since sliced bread (irony). Yet, all the information I can glean speaks only of it's "naturalness", "goodness", "benefits" and "the egyptians used it as a life elixir" etc. I see no double-blind studies exploring any tangible health benefits (does it contain magnesium? is it an antioxidant? do people feel better when they use it?).

I'm very skeptical about vinegar, because unlike fruit acids, vinegar (ethanoic) acid lowers your blood ph level, which your body compensates for by depleting your calcium.

So is it really any good at all? If so then how???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Its tasty on curry chips ... I know coz I just had some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

ApeXaviour wrote: »
    So what exactly is the deal with this stuff? I have some and I throw it on salads. It's bandied around in health food stores and the internet as being the best thing since sliced bread (irony). Yet, all the information I can glean speaks only of it's "naturalness", "goodness", "benefits" and "the egyptians used it as a life elixir" etc. I see no double-blind studies exploring any tangible health benefits (does it contain magnesium? is it an antioxidant? do people feel better when they use it?).

I'm very skeptical about vinegar, because unlike fruit acids, vinegar (ethanoic) acid lowers your blood ph level, which your body compensates for by depleting your calcium.

So is it really any good at all? If so then how???

I think it actually raises the pH of your blood causing the reverse of what you're afraid of. That might be about it. The egyptian reference is interestin. They ate a load of bread, were generally fat and had awful bones, apparently. That might tie it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

my ma bought this and a 50 euro jar of honey in the health shop the other day, made me cry inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

it's about three quid a litre average!

Advertisement