Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terry out of order

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

In typewritten texts and other documents printed in fixed-width fonts, there is a convention among lay writers that two spaces are placed after the full stop (along with the other sentence enders: question mark and exclamation mark), as opposed to the single space used after other punctuation symbols. This is sometimes termed "French spacing".

In modern English-language typographical usage, debate has arisen concerning the proper number of trailing spaces after a full stop (or exclamation mark, or question mark) to separate sentences within a paragraph. Whereas two spaces are still regarded by many outside the publishing industry to be the better usage for monospace typefaces, the awkwardness that most word-processing applications have in representing correctly the 1.5 spaces that had previously become standard for typographically proportional (non-monospace) fonts has led to some confusion about how to render the space between sentences using only word-processing tools.

Many descriptivists (i.e., people who describe how language is used in practice) support the notion that a single space after a full stop should be considered standard because it has been the norm in mainstream publishing for many decades. This is supported by the MLA, APA[6], and the The Chicago Manual of Style.[7] Many prescriptivists (i.e., people who make recommendations for rules of language use), meanwhile, adhere to the earlier use of two spaces on typewriters to make the separation of sentences more salient than separation of elements within sentences. Since current style guides are founded on the consensus of practice, the evidence strongly suggests that most people accept the single space in modern word-processing, largely for the reason that two spaces may stretch inordinately when full justification is applied. Additionally, many computer typefaces are designed proportionately to alleviate the need for the double space (the opposition would of course reply that this does nothing to satisfy the aforementioned saliency issue). Most widely accepted contemporary style guides categorically require that only one space be placed after full stops and similar punctuation marks, and they characterise modern practice as avoiding it.[8]

With the advent of standardized HTML for rendering webpages, the broader distinction between full stop spacing and internal spacing in a sentence has become largely moot on the World Wide Web. Standardized HTML treats additional whitespace after the first space as immaterial (siding unquestioningly with the one-spacers), and ignores it when rendering the page. A common workaround for this is the use of   (Non-breaking space) to represent extra spaces, and this is done automatically by some WYSIWYG editors, such as Wikipedia's own editing interface.

A strong argument for having two spaces after a full stop arises from accessibility, or universal design. It is often reported that people with dyslexia prefer double spacing after a full stop.[9] See justification (typesetting) for further discussion.

[7]..
    [8]..
    [9]..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Outer Bongolia

Two spaces after not before

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    As I said you are not a leader ,challenged as in your handle.Original no, repetitive and boring yes. Goodnight or morning Mr.Challenged .Oh and I will post you some crayons so you can colour your little poster . So creative.Bye

Ahhh OP - Your really not doing yourself any favours. You're just going across as argumentative and difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

In typewritten texts and other documents printed in fixed-width fonts, there is a convention among lay writers that two spaces are placed after the full stop (along with the other sentence enders: question mark and exclamation mark), as opposed to the single space used after other punctuation symbols. This is sometimes termed "French spacing".

In modern English-language typographical usage, debate has arisen concerning the proper number of trailing spaces after a full stop (or exclamation mark, or question mark) to separate sentences within a paragraph. Whereas two spaces are still regarded by many outside the publishing industry to be the better usage for monospace typefaces, the awkwardness that most word-processing applications have in representing correctly the 1.5 spaces that had previously become standard for typographically proportional (non-monospace) fonts has led to some confusion about how to render the space between sentences using only word-processing tools.

Many descriptivists (i.e., people who describe how language is used in practice) support the notion that a single space after a full stop should be considered standard because it has been the norm in mainstream publishing for many decades. This is supported by the MLA, APA[6], and the The Chicago Manual of Style.[7] Many prescriptivists (i.e., people who make recommendations for rules of language use), meanwhile, adhere to the earlier use of two spaces on typewriters to make the separation of sentences more salient than separation of elements within sentences. Since current style guides are founded on the consensus of practice, the evidence strongly suggests that most people accept the single space in modern word-processing, largely for the reason that two spaces may stretch inordinately when full justification is applied. Additionally, many computer typefaces are designed proportionately to alleviate the need for the double space (the opposition would of course reply that this does nothing to satisfy the aforementioned saliency issue). Most widely accepted contemporary style guides categorically require that only one space be placed after full stops and similar punctuation marks, and they characterise modern practice as avoiding it.[8]

With the advent of standardized HTML for rendering webpages, the broader distinction between full stop spacing and internal spacing in a sentence has become largely moot on the World Wide Web. Standardized HTML treats additional whitespace after the first space as immaterial (siding unquestioningly with the one-spacers), and ignores it when rendering the page. A common workaround for this is the use of   (Non-breaking space) to represent extra spaces, and this is done automatically by some WYSIWYG editors, such as Wikipedia's own editing interface.

A strong argument for having two spaces after a full stop arises from accessibility, or universal design. It is often reported that people with dyslexia prefer double spacing after a full stop.[9] See justification (typesetting) for further discussion.

[7]..
    [8]..
    [9]..
    tl ,dr .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

As a genuine question, does it not take far more effort to type incorrectly like the OP does? He seems to hit the space bar more than is necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Gordon wrote: »
    tl ,dr .

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Ok. Here's the deal.
    The red pen thing was done as a joke reply.

He asked me to get my red pen out, so I did.
    It was a joke. That's all. A joke.

I apologise if I offended you. That was not my intention.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

We're now on the 69th post and no one has mentioned the real horror of it all. The OP didn't leave TWO spaces after the full stop. Get your flaming torches and let's have another witch hunt.
    It is often reported that people with dyslexia prefer double spacing after a full stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Hobbes wrote: »
    lol editorial standards and After Hours. Theres something I didn't think I would see together.

Well, editorial standards may be far too strong a term when we're talking about After Hours, but if someone's going to be typing in txspk, ALL CAPS or annoying colours, then it'd be expected that they'd be told off.

At this stage, I think it's clear that Mr .Micro is just being a troll, and doing it on purpose to annoy people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Gimmick posters need a good gimmick.
    If moving a dot is all you can come up with give it up and come back when you have something worth our attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

micmclo wrote: »
    Are you the same poster than spends most days blasting politicans over in Politics? I think we've had a debate or two
    Lol.....civility and manners :rolleyes:

Anyways I've quoted the above text.
    Why are you leaving a space to the full stop?
    I've seen some weird and wonderful attempts at posting but never this.
    Why do it? :confused:

Well at least I always try to be civil and mannerly in all my posts.I make no apology for blasting politicians . Live and learn .
    Well at least I always try to be civil and mannerly in all my posts.I make no apology for blasting politicians . Live and learn .

are you using two acounts here or am i missing something?

why would you respond to a post to another user as if you were being directly addressed?

as for the initial encounter on AH, storm in a tea cup. move on.

ALL CAPS

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU TYPE IN ALL CAPITALS NOW.

/EDIT: God damnit, it changed to not all caps before. What's going on?

/edit 2: Ah, having a quote at the start means you're able to write in all caps. Interesting. It works otherwise here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

are you using two acounts here or am i missing something?

why would you respond to a post to another user as if you were being directly addressed?

as for the initial encounter on AH, storm in a tea cup. move on.

Sorry about that other one is not my account but is on the P.C and logged in by accident sorry about that and the other person thought it was there account..
    Sorry about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

That's grand FranchisePlayer.

Offtopic, you do have a strange way of quoting posters.
    The way you have done it means I can't quote you and end up quoting whitewashman instead.
    I've never seen anyone else do it that way :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Terry is perfectly correct in his actions.

A lot of forums on here have certain editorial standards, and the use of text speak (for example) can get you a warning, your posts deleted, or even banned for repeated violations. :)

You surely dont mean AH .LOL that is funny .There are no appreciable standards on AH.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

OK, two simple questions Mr.Micro, not being personal or attacking you in any way, I just really want to know - why do you put a space between the end of a sentence and the full stop when accepted convention is to place the space after the full stop? And secondly, is this only something you do here or do you also do it in work or college?

zaph wrote: »
    OK, two simple questions Mr.Micro, not being personal or attacking you in any way, I just really want to know - why do you put a space between the end of a sentence and the full stop when accepted convention is to place the space after the full stop? And secondly, is this only something you do here or do you also do it in work or college?

Some of us are greater than the rest I guess.Its a burden at times but I know that I do good work.Convention is for the lesser mortals.

Some of us are greater than the rest I guess.Its a burden at times but I know that I do good work.Convention is for the lesser mortals.

OK, you see I actually asked straight questions, I am genuinely interested in knowing why you do it, but it was met with facetiousness which leads me to one of several conclusions - 1) you are dyslexic and are trying to cover up the fact; 2) you are semi-literate and are trying to cover up the fact; or 3) you are a troll who enjoys bugging the crap out of people. Have a guess which one I'm leaning towards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

+1...is it #3 Ted??

+1...is it #3 Ted??

Give that man a prize!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thats a crock load of shite and you know it .Well I know it is . ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Ha !

Loser .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

To think i voted for Terry as Mod of The Year :/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Xavi6 wrote: »
    At this stage I do think he's a troll doing it to p*ss people like myself off.
    At this stage, I think it's clear that Mr .Micro is just being a troll, and doing it on purpose to annoy people.
    Hagar wrote: »
    Gimmick posters need a good gimmick.
    If moving a dot is all you can come up with give it up and come back when you have something worth our attention.
    or 3) you are a troll who enjoys bugging the crap out of people.

Let feeding time come to an end.

Someone please lock this thread. It has served it's purpose.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Another quality feedback production.

I'm easily amused.

OK, you see I actually asked straight questions, I am genuinely interested in knowing why you do it, but it was met with facetiousness which leads me to one of several conclusions - 1) you are dyslexic and are trying to cover up the fact; 2) you are semi-literate and are trying to cover up the fact; or 3) you are a troll who enjoys bugging the crap out of people. Have a guess which one I'm leaning towards.

Like I really care what you think .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

well you cared enough to quote him. Just saying.

FruitLover wrote: »
    Ha !

Loser .

Not worthy of comment.

My work is done.I have had my apology.

• Advertisement

mc nuggets wrote: »
    well you cared enough to quote him. Just saying.

No ,still dont care.

Advertisement