Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi Dry

• 09-12-2007 9:32am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys
    I am thinking of purchasing an Aqualung Iceland Comfort 7mm Semi Dry. Any advice? I know there is a bit of maintenance on them but what are they like in general??
    Also any advice on a face mask?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭patto_chan

If diving in Ireland is your intention then save a few bob more and get a dry suit.
    Remember semi-dry = semi-wet. If you don't freeze during the dive, you'll freeze after it.

(I just did one summer season here in a "semi-dry" then it was dry suit all the way.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Scuba.ie

I don't use a semi, I feel the cold too much and like my comfort!
    As for masks, I prefer a low volume mask, as they are easier to clear.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I have been using a full wet in Ireland up until now and haven't felt the cold (except in the boat on the way back). Would the semi be warmer or colder? I was advised not to buy a full dry but I'm sure it is a matter of preference. You need both anyway right???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Yeah I was looking at the first4scuba website. Any particular mask you recommend? Fairly new at this and wanna get the right stuff first time.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

Re: masks , put it on your face-if it forms a good seal (i.e. without inhaling or exhaling) its basically suitable. A few guys I dive with use masks that were sold by a major German discounter (two guesses:D) from last year (2006) and find them no problem. My own mask is over 7 years old & still going strong.

In short 1. make sure it fits & 2. you're comfortable with it. 3. You cant try it on if you buy it on-line.

Benny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

If you're a beginner I recommend you dive using a semi dry.Dry suits can be difficult to get used to but are the business after you master the rest of your equipment after one year or so.It all depends on the amount of diving you intend doing?

Try www.scubastore.com

I've used them to buy all my gear excluding suits and bottles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 RogerViking

you will need someone to dive with you if you opt for the drysuit as they have there own probs but youl will always have a spare redundent bcd there if you need it.as well as feet first ascent probs have someone who can show you to use one about ten dives in mine before i started feeling comfy in one ...i wouldent go back to a wetsuit unless im in a bath or the red sea

cressi big eyes masks 'there the dogs'

$26 from www.lesurepro.com in the us i got 4 last time and i have lads in the club looking to get them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I have been using a full wet in Ireland up until now and haven't felt the cold (except in the boat on the way back). Would the semi be warmer or colder?

Get a cheap windproof jacket for the boat, and a wooly hat. Because even with a semi, you'll be cold.

I use semi 5+5 in water about 8C, and no problems on the dive. TBH if I was interested in diving in colder water I'd just get a dry suit, but I just couldn't be arsed diving in winter here.

Borzoi wrote: »
    Get a cheap windproof jacket for the boat, and a wooly hat. Because even with a semi, you'll be cold.

I use semi 5+5 in water about 8C, and no problems on the dive. TBH if I was interested in diving in colder water I'd just get a dry suit, but I just couldn't be arsed diving in winter here.

I'm with you there. I'm not diving in Ireland again until at least April when I have a weekend in Mullaghmore planned :)
    I hope to get most of my gear before then. The diving computer seems to be the biggest thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Moanin wrote: »
    If you're a beginner I recommend you dive using a semi dry.Dry suits can be difficult to get used to but are the business after you master the rest of your equipment after one year or so.It all depends on the amount of diving you intend doing?

Try www.scubastore.com

I've used them to buy all my gear excluding suits and bottles
    I have used Scubastore several times and have always got excellent service from them. Had an air integrated wireless comp that went wrong. First time they tried to repair it. Failed again so they replaced it. All costs associated with sending it back and forth was covered by them. So i have nothing but good things to say about them.

As for the semi dry, I was in a scubapro Scotia semi for 3 seasons. Great suit but as others have said, can be a bit chilly on the boat on the way back in. Also used it on a diving trip to Gozo, so can be used in warm and cold coditions. Have gone soft now and got myself a dry bag. Use it with a Weezle Extreme and you'll be nice and toastie.

Duzzie

• Advertisement
Advertisement