Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Drugs Be Made Legal??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Dr. Hesselius

I pointed out in another thread that the question is moot:
    Possession of cocaine cannot be legalised in Ireland since Ireland is a signatory to the single convention on narcotic drugs. Indeed, without a unilateral withdrawal from the convention (and all other associated and dependent agreements), practically no country can legalise cocaine possession.

It's a pointless discussion. The majority of "drugs" fall under the schedules of this treaty and hence cannot be legalised, regardless of whether some people think it's a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Just because we legalise drugs doesn't mean the problem will go away.

Should we legalise theft, murder and rape? No, because they are awful things.

Drugs are awful things to some. There is different reactions by different people. 1 in 10 users of Cannabis may debelop some form of mental illness. 1 in 5 users of ecstasy may suffer a heart attack. These of course aren't exact figures but what I am trying to portray is that there is an element of chance in the use of drugs. Some may suffer dadly consequences and therefore I think that they should not be legalised as no amount of "control" or "management" can stop the risk for some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

No stay illegal too many harmful effects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

daiixi wrote: »
    Hell yes. I'd much rather the government tax drugs, let people know exactly what they're buying and stop dealers dealing. If drugs were legalised all those people who don't do drugs would still continue to not do drugs and those people who do take drugs will be having a much safer experience.

have to agree with that.
    martin84 wrote: »
    I think some should. Maybe just hash. I think it would be great to be able to go down to your local Spar and say, Hi just the indo (compact edition) and a quarter? Cheers.

that would be nice...
    Timans wrote:
    1 in 10 users of Cannabis may debelop some form of mental illness.

thats just not true... mental health disorders levels have been at a consistent level of ~2% of the world populations for the last 50-60 years while users of Cannabis (both frequent and in-frequent) has risen at a huge rate. there has never been proven to be a link between the two...

maybe legalise anything below alcohol toxicity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭jaydigity

I fully support legalising drugs. The only qualms I would have would be that it is unethical to legally allow citizens to take socially destructive drugs like heroin, crystal meth etc. Yet, I think that keeping these illegal would simply encourage more to take the drugs if others had been decriminalised.

Consider prohibition in Chicago in the 1930's. It did not work, end of. Alcohol is a highly damaging drug, but crime rates increased with prohibition. I think this speaks for itself.
    If drugs were to be legalised they should only be available from pharmacies and existing headshops in Ireland could apply for a licence to sell. Advertising or branding of drugs would be outlawed. Drugs would only be available to the over 18's and HEAVY penalties inflicted on those caught selling to minors, or acting as couriers for minors. this may sound stupid, but I think a drug licence for consumers should also exist. Drugs require a lot research before consumption and a standardised exam, just like our driving tests would minimize health risks and make buyers aware of addiction potential.

Condensed, here are my arguments in favour of legalisation, feel free to disagree:
      Source of revenue for government
    [*]Huge decrease in street crime and could go to almost eliminate gang violence
    [/LIST]
    • Decrease in Hepatitis and HIV (clean needles)
    • Many drugs are less harmful than alcohol or cigarettes, it is unfair that these should be illegal
    • Drugs could be standardised and hospitalisation, deaths etc due to impure drugs would be minimised
    • Freeing up of Garda resources, create desperately needed space in prisons
    • The government could ensure users are responsible and informed about drug use, which is often not the case at present.

I don't believe that legalization would increase the number of people taking drugs. Access to drugs is easy for most. Illegality is highly unlikely to deter someone from using drugs, IMO

By the by, I always hear statistics that the vast majority of prison officers and Gardaí favour legalisation, anyone in said professions able to confirm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

You mean something like this?
    Thats working so far (yeah right).
    Firstly, I've never been given any leaflets with info like that when buying alcohol.

Secondly, that campaign isn't working as it's not realistic. It advises only having 3/4 standard drinks per night, which is not what people do, mainly because the effects of alcohol are not strong enough at such a low level.

For a campaign like that to work it has to be acknowledged that people WILL be drinking over the WHO's low risk limits. Trying to change people's drinking habits so radically is futile. What a campaign like that should do is try to stop people buying a load of drinks just before the bar closes or drinking themselves into comatose states.
    No, it is sad and pathetic that people need to alter the functioning of their brain to "have fun".
    Why is having fun so demonised?

And what's so special about the normal way our brain functions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Nope. I'd like them to do away with alcohol and cigarettes too but if they're not going to do that I feel they should at least ban the advertisement of such products.

I can't imagine why anybody wants to take any of that stuff anyway.

Timans wrote: »
    Drugs are awful things to some. There is different reactions by different people. 1 in 10 users of Cannabis may debelop some form of mental illness. 1 in 5 users of ecstasy may suffer a heart attack. These of course aren't exact figures but what I am trying to portray is that there is an element of chance in the use of drugs. Some may suffer dadly consequences and therefore I think that they should not be legalised as no amount of "control" or "management" can stop the risk for some.
    Life is full of risks. Tbh, just because a tiny minority might suffer ill effects from taking drugs doesn't mean they should be illegal.

Also, please don't make up statistics. There is an element of chance in the use of drugs and we acknowledge that, but it's nothing close to the stats you've just made up there. 20% chance of a heart attack from taking E? You might want to check out the death toll from E induced heart attacks over the last 10 years, or indeed ever.

• Advertisement

I stated in my post that those figures are made up. I don't know exact figures but what I am trying to say is that even if as little as 1 in 1000 people suffer terrible consequences from drugs, that's one too many and therefore I think drugs should remain illegal.

Call_me_al wrote: »
    maybe legalise anything below alcohol toxicity?

According to that attached chart, nutmeg is more toxic than Alcohol! Ban it Now!

The only good reason for legalising certain drugs is to cut out the drug barons.

I stated in my post that those figures are made up. I don't know exact figures but what I am trying to say is that even if as little as 1 in 1000 people suffer terrible consequences from drugs, that's one too many and therefore I think drugs should remain illegal.
    <tired argument>So you're for making alcohol illegal then? And if you're not for practical reasons, are you saying you never drink?</tired argument>

Let's take something else, say sport. There have been a number of cases in recent times of young people with weak hearts collapsing while playing sports and dying of heart attacks. Should we ban sports because there is a risk to a small amount of people who play them?

No, I don't drink, ever. As, in my opinion, I am not particularly interested in using anything that alters my mind. But that's a personal choice.

And yes, using alcohol as an argument is a completely tired argument and in my opinion if Alcohol was illegal now, there would be pressure from the same people to legalise that and you would just use coffee as an example to compare drugs to and so on and so forth until everything was legalised.

Sport is potentially dangerous yes, but it also has millions more benefits to society, excercise, team work etc. How many uses has Cannabis got? Apart from the "Medicinal" benefits which everyone raves about, which are a little ridiculous as it isn't as though there are no other drugs which are pain relievers.

And also, the people who have heart attacks are often the ones with undiscovered heart problems which, perhaps could have been prevented with a simple ECG, or heart scan. How can you measure a persons propensity for mental illness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Ask not for whom the bell tolls.

We live in a society. We have set down laws and norms because we've deemed them neccessary for society to function.

For example, we dont allow murder. I would think the reasons for that so obvious that they dont need explanation.
    We dont allow drink driving because of the negative effect that would have on society. There are many out there who refute that effect, and those who claim they know what they are able to handle and should be allowed make the choice.

Unfortunatly the same goes for Drugs.
    There are those who dont accept that there are consequences to drug use
    There are those who spout the I know what I can handle... line

This society like many others has agreed that there are consequences to drug use and that these consequences are unacceptable.
    It has also been observed that when you let everyone be their own judge too many people make the wrong decision.

Primarily of course its that the effects of drink driving as with drug use dont just concern the driver/drug user. They effect society. So society will be the judge.

Drug use has a negative effect on society. If you want to use drugs at the moment in Ireland you run personal risks. It seems fairer this way to me, almost like a market force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    <tired argument>So you're for making alcohol illegal then? And if you're not for practical reasons, are you saying you never drink?</tired argument>

Let's take something else, say sport. There have been a number of cases in recent times of young people with weak hearts collapsing while playing sports and dying of heart attacks. Should we ban sports because there is a risk to a small amount of people who play them?

careful now this attitude will leave your pm inbox full of abusive messages.

• Advertisement

The war on drugs has failed it has always failed so why continue to fight a losing war why not use the money lost in fighting drugs to better use in improving the health system or better education of children about drugs.

Rob_l wrote: »
    The war on drugs has failed it has always failed so why continue to fight a losing war why not use the money lost in fighting drugs to better use in improving the health system or better education of children about drugs.
    And, how can you say that the legalisation of drugs will "win the war"?

And also, by your reasoning, you think that the govt should just give in? Let the drug dealers win?

No, I don't drink, ever. As, in my opinion, I am not particularly interested in using anything that alters my mind. But that's a personal choice.
    And so it should be.
    Sport is potentially dangerous yes, but it also has millions more benefits to society, excercise, team work etc. How many uses has Cannabis got? Apart from the "Medicinal" benefits which everyone raves about, which are a little ridiculous as it isn't as though there are no other drugs which are pain relievers.
    Yeah, you might want to read up on the medicinal benefits of cannabis a little more.

And drugs enhance people's lives and make people happy, which is a big benefit to society, and even if you disagree with this, you've gotta acknowledge that people simply want to do them and no amount of anti-drugs campaigning will stop them.
    And also, the people who have heart attacks are often the ones with undiscovered heart problems which, perhaps could have been prevented with a simple ECG, or heart scan. How can you measure a persons propensity for mental illness?
    I don't know, I'm not a doctor/psychologist.

And, how can you say that the legalisation of drugs will "win the war"?

And also, by your reasoning, you think that the govt should just give in? Let the drug dealers win?

I never said it would win the war, i send end the failed expensive war.

No the drug dealers are the ones profiting through the current system I propose to end that system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Fact is, bigger and richer countries than Ireland have tried for decades to eradicate drugs by this conventional "war on drugs" method. Case in point is the US, where the term was coined AFAIK. The DEA was formed in 1973. The US has more money and resources than ourselves, as well as alot more religious people to give it that extra motivation :rolleyes: Most other Western countries follow this tired model and demonise drug users (except of course "certain" drugs), and it does not work. Drugs are not going anywhere ! I'll tell you somewhere that has probably (I'm guessing) a low drug rate: Singapore. They execute drug trafficers and give long prison sentences to drug users. That's one way to do it.

This is a genuine question: are there any countries in the world that follow the conventional approach to drugs (ie. make it illegal, imprison dealers, criminalise/demonise/marginalise users), and have a low drug use rate?

I'm sure I've heard someone mention that Scandinavian countries have a low-ish rate, but can't find much detail on the policies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

I always ask drug user friends who defend the drug point the question: Would you like your kids to smoke or drink or use drugs? And the answer is always 'no I would not like them to do so'. I feel that my kid/s will fare better by not being exposed to these drugs.

To legalise drugs in any way is wrong in my view. Alcohol and cigarettes already have a hold from the times when folks thought that they were undamaging to health, particularly the ciggys. I have a nephew who is a potentially brilliant gymnast and he is starting to smoke. I see him as a vulnerable individual, his potential is possibly being tainted by the social attraction available because it is legal, but at the same time the recent campaign against smoking does help towards putting him off.

Why would anyone want to accept hash / cannabis / grass etc as being acceptable based on this.

If you want to kill your brain and avoid yourself in your own form of escapism of real life, then go away and do so I don't feel that this practice should be made acceptable for my kids in a legal sense.
    I see no warrant for drugs being made legal. People who take drugs to escape from themselves in a recreational way are sad people with nothing better to do in their lives.

I say to these people: Go away and wreck your own lives by yourselves and don't try to make a debate out of it, The irony of your debate is that ye are to stoned and out of touch with reality to make a point in the first place. Kick the habit for 6 months and then come back with a view from yourselves rather than from a sidetracked view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I take it your not out to make friends, Deliverance. Your parents, grandparents, etc., don't drink at all, no? None of your family and friends will be having a bit of a tipple over the Christmas period? Are they all sad people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I'd love to get my hands on some totally rad opiates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

gcgirl wrote: »
    I don't do Drugs at all
    Drink is Legal and I think that has caused more Heartache for People that anything else!

Agree with you 100% on the drink thing but you poll is nuts :(

Some drugs I feel should be legal but the all or nothing arguement is just silly imho.

I say to these people: Go away and wreck your own lives by yourselves and don't try to make a debate out of it, The irony of your debate is that ye are to stoned and out of touch with reality to make a point in the first place. Kick the habit for 6 months and then come back with a view from yourselves rather than from a sidetracked view.
    You assume drug users are all stoners smoking weed every day, doing other drugs every weekend and píssing away their lives, which couldn't be further from the truth. I think it's you who needs a reality check. They're not all wasters, in fact, the majority of casual drug users aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

legalise it so that the government can add tax's and make it unaffordable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Actually I don't take any drugs but I made an argument for legalising them a while back that I think makes sense. I can see why you would be against the idea, but there are plenty of positives to legalisation. Your argument shouldn't just insult people who don't share your view. You lose credibility. Trust me I always end up doing that when I'm fighting a losing battle and it just makes you look stupid.

So yeah not stoned, no habit, nothing. I'm even sober! and I think drugs should be legalised. If you want to question my reasons just go back to page two and have a read, if you don't agree fair enough, but don't be so judgmental.

S.I.R wrote: »
    legalise it so that the government can add tax's and make it unaffordable.

But then dealers would undercut the government. defeats the purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

gcgirl wrote: »
    I don't do Drugs at all
    Drink is Legal and I think that has caused more Heartache for People that anything else!

I have lost more loved ones to drugs than drink. And i always will. If drugs were legalised it would mean you could not work. Imagine trying to drive a car while strung out on heroine or god knows what drug?

Imagine if it was supplied to places like shops or even pharmacies. There would be armed robberies left right and centre. The whole country would collapse as now its ok to be stoned. I shudder at the thought. If this was ever to become fact i just hope its when i'm already dead. If not- i would move out of this country straight away.

Drink is legalised. like tobacco, it cannot be made illegal. It can be regulated. watch the news. Gang land crime is funded via drugs not alcohol.

congo_90 wrote: »
    I have lost more loved ones to drugs than drink. And i always will. If drugs were legalised it would mean you could not work. Imagine trying to drive a car while strung out on heroine or god knows what drug?

Imagine if it was supplied to places like shops or even pharmacies. There would be armed robberies left right and centre. The whole country would collapse as now its ok to be stoned. I shudder at the thought. If this was ever to become fact i just hope its when i'm already dead. If not- i would move out of this country straight away.

Drink is legalised. like tobacco, it cannot be made illegal. It can be regulated. watch the news. Gang land crime is funded via drugs not alcohol.

You are the only person (I think, apologies if I'm wrong) who actually came up with a reason not to legalise other than oh you wreck your own life, which is easily countered with the personal choice/you don't have to take drugs/you know the risks argument.

If the drugs were available ONLY after registering as a user that would help stop crimes like drug driving, and the same type of laws as drink driving would still apply. It could also be illegal to take drugs in public. And there wouldn't necessarily be more armed robberies - people rob money to buy drugs, so the same people would rob the drugs themselves - no increase necessarily.

It wouldn't be ok to be stoned in public, it would be personal choice in private ONLY. And socially stigmatised in ways drinking and smoking never could be.

For me it makes sense because it cuts out the gangland crime, which as you say is funded by drugs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

You are the only person (I think, apologies if I'm wrong) who actually came up with a reason not to legalise other than oh you wreck your own life, which is easily countered with the personal choice/you don't have to take drugs/you know the risks argument.

If the drugs were available ONLY after registering as a user that would help stop crimes like drug driving, and the same type of laws as drink driving would still apply. It could also be illegal to take drugs in public. And there wouldn't necessarily be more armed robberies - people rob money to buy drugs, so the same people would rob the drugs themselves - no increase necessarily.

It wouldn't be ok to be stoned in public, it would be personal choice in private ONLY. And socially stigmatised in ways drinking and smoking never could be.

For me it makes sense because it cuts out the gangland crime, which as you say is funded by drugs

I see your point here and i have though of this. Still, junkies without money for it. Where would they get it? the lad walking up the road who has say per example 50euros worth of drugs.
    So instead of robbing the boy for his mp3 player, phone, wallet. They now want his drugs. I see your point about keeping it in private but i don't think it would happen in realistic terms. Teens will certainly take to the parks and smoke away etc.

Organised crime would still exist either by robbing where the drug supply is and selling it cheaper (like stolen cigarettes/imported without exise duty).
    There is a reason for these drugs to be illegal.
    It's been proven time and time again that even a joint of hash can lead up to 85% increase in chances of depression. I dont have a link to validate this-sorry.

Also, unlike alcohol which can be moderated. drugs like cocaine can be addictable and dangerous. Don't get me wrong alcohol can be dangerous. from my experience i can go out, drink and come home without craving another drink. Do you understand the point i'm making?

Also, unlike alcohol which can be moderated. drugs like cocaine can be addictable and dangerous. Don't get me wrong alcohol can be dangerous. from my experience i can go out, drink and come home without craving another drink. Do you understand the point i'm making?
    So you're for legalising drugs which have the same or less addiction potential as alcohol?

Sure could you not be doing something else like playing a game of football, doing a crossword, building a ship in a bottle, etc.? :)

Davidius wrote: »
    Sure could you not be doing something else like playing a game of football, doing a crossword, building a ship in a bottle, etc.? :)
    Discovering the structure of DNA?

JC 2K3 wrote: »

ROFL, my day has been made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭pocketac3s

Yes - Legal and controlled. Only sold by the Government. To registered users. With a zillion other regulations if need be, because the SYSTEM DOESN'T WORK.

Sure whats the harm of trying a new approach?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Teens will certainly take to the parks and smoke away etc.

It's been proven time and time again that even a joint of hash can lead up to 85% increase in chances of depression. I dont have a link to validate this-sorry.

Yeah, Cos Teens aren't smoking pot in the parks as it is. Get real

What is that reason exactly ? Give me a direct answer from a politician to explain why marijuana is illegal, or ecstasy ?

85% of totally bulll**** made up statistics are exactly that, Are there any statistics as to how many people that never took drugs at all, ever are depressed ? Some people are pre-disposed to depression. If you are, then psychedlics are probably not the way forward.
    Granted, Coke is a tricky one, as is heroin, But there are solutions to these. Systems could be designed to deal with the addictive and destructive aspects to these, systems designed by addiction therapists and former addicts etc. All funded by the tax income from the softer drugs. This would ensure it doesn't lead to a nation of zombies milling around looking for another kick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

The holier than thou side of me says no. Some should, some shouldn't.

I'm surprised at this chessington.

The legal/illegal line is somewhere in the big grey area, between cigarettes&alcohol / weed&pills. You would like to move it to somewhere else in the grey area?

By what metric would you rate the merits of different nonmedical mind altering substances? Bear in mind that by almost any perameters you choose, fags and/or booze are out. That's gonna piss people off!

Sureley the state should either us you what's good for us and ban what isn't, or let us all figure out for ourselves. I don't understand the middle ground in this argument.

How many uses has Cannabis got? Apart from the "Medicinal" benefits which everyone raves about?

Mostly it's used for fun. An excellent use for any product in my opinion.

Seriously though, this point is missed by a lot of the purists. Most drug users take drugs because taking drugs can be a lot of fun. Most drug users just wouldn't do it otherwise!

All this talk about drug users 'seeking to escape a reality they can't face' really doesn't stack up for most users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Santy smokes pot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I see your point here and i have though of this. Still, junkies without money for it. Where would they get it? the lad walking up the road who has say per example 50euros worth of drugs.
    So instead of robbing the boy for his mp3 player, phone, wallet. They now want his drugs.
    So instead of robbing the kid's money and buying drugs with it, they rob his drugs. What difference does that make? Either way the kid has just been robbed
    I see your point about keeping it in private but i don't think it would happen in realistic terms. Teens will certainly take to the parks and smoke away etc.
    they do that already. And so what if they do?
    Organised crime would still exist either by robbing where the drug supply is and selling it cheaper (like stolen cigarettes/imported without exise duty).
    they could do that with any consumer product. Lets change it a little:

Organised crime would still exist either by robbing where the flat screen tv supply is and selling it cheaper. What's your point? They would make dramatically less money off it which is the main reason for legalising it
    sorry but that's just bullcrap
    alcohol isn't addictive? I think alcoholics anonymous would beg to differ. Lots of people drink alcohol and don't get addicted. Some do. Its the same with most drugs (not heroin though)

Lots of people drink alcohol and don't get addicted. Some do. Its the same with most drugs (not heroin though)
    My sarcasm detector is letting me down here. Please tell me you're not serious? It was such a good post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Have you ever tried anything other than drink? Did you immediately want more? The reason you couldn't find a link to that 85% increase in chances of depression is because it's untrue.

I think the ideal would be to have all drugs legal so people could try them in a safe environment but the moral majority would never allow people to enjoy themselves safely and would rather they're children be taken under the wing of they're local criminal.

I wouldn't be calling for the legalisation of all drugs yet but I think it should happen sometime in the future.

Mostly it's used for fun. An excellent use for any product in my opinion.

Seriously though, this point is missed by a lot of the purists. Most drug users take drugs because taking drugs can be a lot of fun. Most drug users just wouldn't do it otherwise!

All this talk about drug users 'seeking to escape a reality they can't face' really doesn't stack up for most users.
    QFT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Sureley the state should either us you what's good for us and ban what isn't, or let us all figure out for ourselves. I don't understand the middle ground in this argument.

The middle ground is there for a reason. We are slaves to chemicals as it is. Our Brain produces chemicals which reward certain behavior by giving us pleasure. The problem occurs when we exploit this "loophole" to create an addiction.

We humans need to be told what is good and what is bad, but scaremongering and creating fear of drugs a-lá Reefer madness is not the answer. One Joint will turn you mad, one pill will kill and one line and your dead just is not enough "education" to make a decision on what we ban.

too true!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

My sarcasm detector is letting me down here. Please tell me you're not serious? It was such a good post!
    how do you mean? Alcohol isn't physically addictive but lots of people become dependent on it, ie alcoholics. Its the same with coke and cannabis. Most people have tried cannabis but didn't become dependent on it. And lots of people do coke and it doesn't take over their lives.

there are always the few who will take things like alcohol, cannabis and coke too far and on the other side, there are those who use all three drugs and then go back to living their lives as normal. Unlike with heroin, you don't see people willing to destroy their lives for their next fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Unlike with heroin, you don't see people willing to destroy their lives for their next fix.

Are there not people willing to destroy their lives over coke, cannabis, gambling, (insert vice here).
    How many people are addicted to heroin? How many are seeking treatment? How many have successfully kicked the habit? How many have had their lives destroyed by heroin?
    Now the kicker, How many of those destroyed lives could have been prevented by education instead of prohibition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

the ONLY reason i don't do heroin is that i can't get my hands on it because its illegal and the government are 100% effective in keeping it out of the country.

huh???

So instead of robbing the kid's money and buying drugs with it, they rob his drugs. What difference does that make? Either way the kid has just been robbed

they do that already. And so what if they do?

they could do that with any consumer product. Lets change it a little:

Organised crime would still exist either by robbing where the flat screen tv supply is and selling it cheaper. What's your point? They would make dramatically less money off it which is the main reason for legalising it
    sorry but that's just bullcrap

alcohol isn't addictive? I think alcoholics anonymous would beg to differ. Lots of people drink alcohol and don't get addicted. Some do. Its the same with most drugs (not heroin though)

That saved me a lot of typing. cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

I have lost more loved ones to drugs than drink.

You've been unlucky. Personally, I've lost, and my friends have lost more loved ones to alcohol. Ok, I've known some suicides where the person was a drug-user but also a heavy drinker and was both on alcohol AND drugs when they committed suicide. That said, I've known more suicides cused by depression and/or alcoholism that drug-use.
    If drugs were legalised it would mean you could not work. Imagine trying to drive a car while strung out on heroine or god knows what drug?

What are you talking about???? Alcohol is legal!! That doesn't mean any of us that like to take a few drinks, drink-drive ourselves to work every day!!!
    Drink is legalised. like tobacco, it cannot be made illegal.

Why not? Those that are now illegal drugs were once legal too, you know.
    It can be regulated. watch the news. Gang land crime is funded via drugs not alcohol.

Exactly WHY they SHOULD be legalised - If they were legal the illegal drug-empires would be no more, as well as the fact that the government would both make money (taxes) off the drugs brought into the country and also control the drugs purity so people would know exactly what they were getting (same as with alcohol and cigarettes and indeed prescrition drugs)!!! You are just like everybody else in this country that partake in or witness the "normal" alcoholic culture that is Ireland and so cannot see the wood for the trees when it comes to alcohol, which has been proven to be a dangerous addictive drug which leads to depression, suicide, unplanned pregnancies, road fatalities, agressiveness and general anti-social behaviour, far more than illegal drugs do in this country (I would imagine, even on a pro-rata basis when you take how many users of both alcohol and cocaine there are into consideration!). Do you think anyone who is for the legalisation of these drugs don't ever watch the news/read the papers or study society in general.

• Advertisement
Advertisement