Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IPOD touch broadband availabillity

Options
  • 09-12-2007 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Lads,

I have recently purchased the IPOD touch which I have to say is a great gadget, the only trouble I have is that I live in the country where broadband is unavailable dose anybody no of anywhere that provides free broadband access.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

some mc donalds have free wifi in their shops, also starbucks too.
    and when i was in DIT Bolton st. they had wifi zone in the lounge.

do a search here or on the wireless section, i think there is a couple of lists of places floating about.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It uses WiFi Only.

You can share Dialup or 3G/HSDPA via WiFi with a suitably configured PC or Router. Also have you checked for Fixed Wireless & Metro rather than just phone line based Broadband?

We had only Dialup from 1994 to Nov/Dec 2005 (When I got Metro), and shared it on our home network. With WiFi from about 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

If you have a wifi Mac with a net connection then just turn on "Internet sharing" via Airport in the "Sharing" preferences panel, no router needed, great for surfing from the sofa.

Eircom have a good few hotspots around Dublin, think the minimum you can get is e5 for a half hour. Outside of Dublin free public wifi is fairly scarce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Just to second the 3G option - had the O2 modem for a few days and its great - it feels so strange to be able to turn on your laptop *anywhere* and get a nice 1meg line. Note that your mileage with the *anywhere* part of that may vary :)

But obviously if you are getting a nice signal at home, its the perfect solution for the ipod - share out the signal over wifi and you're away.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The 1M can be 60k

• Advertisement
Advertisement