Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liquorice - Settle a bet

Options
  • 09-12-2007 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

What way should this be pronounced. I was having an argument with my friend over this. He insists it should be pronounced liquor-ice, basically merging liquor and ice into one word. However i always thought the correct pronounciation was liquor'ish'.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

i'd pronounce it liquor-ish and so does eveyone else i've ever heard sayin the word but is it correct...i dunno??? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

I've never even heard someone using the "ice" ending. Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

homah_7ft wrote: »
    I've never even heard someone using the "ice" ending. Strange.

Yeh same here. I think what he was saying is where does the 'ish' sound come from in the word and that 'ice' would suit it phonetically. It just sounds wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Perhaps it's due to the history of the word. I see that it comes from Anglo-French, licoris. Maybe an etymologist can explain it for us.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'd pronounce it liquor'ish. I've heard people saying liquor'iss though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Faith wrote: »
    I've heard people saying liquor'iss though.

Oh wait thats the way he says it. Is that correct?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yeah, I think they're both equally correct.

Advertisement