Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oral Exams

Options
  • 09-12-2007 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

I see the Oral exams have been announced for between Monday April, 7th and Friday April, 18th 2008. Just curious, how is everyone preparing for them and do you spend much classes preparing for it? It is such a handy way of picking up, 25% in Irish, and 20% in French, before even going into the written exam in June. :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

We learn the picture stories and roleplays in German, and we have a German assistant teacher from Germany herself to help us with discussing things once a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

We've got a french assistant who helps us... I'm a bit screwed for it though because I can only ever think in Irish when I'm meant to be speaking French. I'm gonna try find a decent french radio station or tv show or something, to help with the aural too.
    For Irish we've got an extra class dedicated to Oral on friday mornings before school, which I habitually miss... not TOO worried though. Watch a bit of Aifric and yer grand. : p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Is anyone else doing the project for the German oral? Much les stressful than the alternitave...thogh I forget what that is :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Piste wrote: »
    Is anyone else doing the project for the German oral? Much les stressful than the alternitave...thogh I forget what that is :p

Bildergeschichte :)

Unfortunately I didn't do the project. The other class do, but apparently we are meant to be the higher class and we are meant to be able to do picture stories aaagh!

• Advertisement

You have two german classes?! There are about 10-15 people in my German class and 8 in the 6th yar German class! Yeah I think the roleplays AND Bildergeschichte are a bit much, but if you can do the project and then the roleplays you're laughing!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Learn yer seanfhocals!

One of those exam revision books has a scatter of them in it. I think its the one on the Irish essay, lots of great sayings and stuff in there.

As for Francais, best thing I did was a one day revision course just before the orals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Jakkass wrote: »
    We learn the picture stories and roleplays in German, and we have a German assistant teacher from Germany herself to help us with discussing things once a week or so.
    Ya we had a german assistant in 5th year and she was just learning to be a teacher, she was rubbish in german let alone english...

Were doing a fair bit of oral work in german at the moment
    teacher even keeps us after school on wednesdays for german oral practise
    we go over the role plays and picture stories fairly regurarly

as for irish, well im doing pass and dont need it for points, teacher does it every now and then but i couldnt be bothered to learn more tham me fein and mo scoil

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

You have two german classes?! There are about 10-15 people in my German class and 8 in the 6th yar German class! Yeah I think the roleplays AND Bildergeschichte are a bit much, but if you can do the project and then the roleplays you're laughing!
    they've 2 german classes wow, im in a year with 120 people of which 80 do french, 11 german (one class) and 7 spanish and the rest dont do languages

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

Just as a matter of interest, what kind of stuff do you do for the project? I only found out there was such a thing recently...

Also, there's ten in my 6th year German, and three in the 5th year class. Everyone else in the school does French. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

We haven't done any oral work in German apart from the Pictures/Roleplays. I'm not worried though. I spent last July in Germany and I convinced myself of my confidence in speaking German. My pronunciation is a bit daft but I can speak without thinking (not a good idea sometimes!). Hopefully the conversation with the examiners will be like deja-vu.

In Irish, we've done a lot of work. I'm in ordinary level so I can't say much for higher.

tabouli wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest, what kind of stuff do you do for the project? I only found out there was such a thing recently...

Also, there's ten in my 6th year German, and three in the 5th year class. Everyone else in the school does French. :/

Well you can do pretty much whatever, just dont make it too broad or you'll have too much and you'll be overwhelmed! I for example, and doing mine on the Berlin Love Parade, other people choose famous people from German-speaking countries (eg. Mozart, Claudia Schiffer, Albert Einstein) or something historical like the Berlin wall. All the topics have to be related to Germany or a German-speaking country in some way.

Handy way tp pick up points as you have a few minutes to talk about it unprompted so you can basically learn off a small speech for that and then you'll be asked a question or two on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 paddy007

I cudnt care less about the irish orals. taht said i am doin ordainary.In french though higher level its gonna be a mountain to climb theres some load of stuff to learn for it!!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

Jst had an irish oral as part of my christmas exams, we got a full pre paper aswell, got 135 outta 150 for the oral, which is like an A1 I was quite pleased considering it was a regional examiner and the author of Cogar i gCluas that was examining me!!!

Anywayz, sadly didnt have a german oral as part of my xmas exams...which was a pity. I'm jst gonna keep going over the bildergeschichte etc. My german teacher never rarely speaks german in class at all, shes totally useless and she's been out all wk!!!!! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭LayLay

My class just spend about a month preparing questions. We were give sheets about or life, family, school, hobbies. Filled them in and learned them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 deelizious

I think the most important thing to do is listen to plenty of Irish to tune your ear in and speak Irish as often as you can. The more you speak it the more confident you will be and that goes a long way. Of course preparation is important if you dont have the basic topics prepared your not going to come across well.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

If you're doing ordinary level make sure you prepare a small bit of higher level too because if you answer the ordinary level questions very well the examiner will presume you're higher level and ask you more difficult questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

Easiest 25% ever!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Fanatic4Life

Doing my mocks at the mo', have my French oral on Tuesday. Absolutely ****tin' it, have feck all done on my document. 'Twill be either highly entertaining or severely depressing for my teacher to watch and mark on...:(

Irish oral went grand though, not a bother. Gotta love the aul' làn gaeilge bunscoil! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement