Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

buying an octavia in the uk

Options
  • 09-12-2007 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

hey guys, going over to the uk to buy a 01 skoda octavia 1.9tdi estate elegence model from a dealer, it looks mint, anyone any views on these cars estate or saloon?

also any tips for bringing back cars from uk. i.e best ferrys to get, best way to haggel or what to look out for etc?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As with buying any UK import make sure to get a full HPI check done on the car. This will verify the car's service history, mileage, any insurance claims and MOT failures.

It is imperative you get the above done before buying as the Octavia is very popular with mini cab drivers over there and also due to the flooding in the UK a couple of months ago there are alot of dodgy motors turning up for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭mac500

sound, thanks for the wise up, apparently its has a full hpi check, it has 1 owner and a fully stamped full service history

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

mac500 wrote: »
    sound, thanks for the wise up, apparently its has a full hpi check, it has 1 owner and a fully stamped full service history
    Run an HPI check yourself. I can't express strongly enough how important this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Anan1 wrote: »
    Run an HPI check yourself. I can't express strongly enough how important this is.

Second that. small price to pay for peace of mind. alot of things can happen in a short space of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

also check out common faults on honestjohn website.
    good luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I'm sure you'd done your research and know that if your reg it before July then annual road tax will cost you €560 every year, versus €290 if you leave it till after July 1st.

Six months is a long time to be driving around on UK plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭mac500

i could park it up for 6 months before i register it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

JHMEG wrote: »
    I'm sure you'd done your research and know that if your reg it before July then annual road tax will cost you €560 every year, versus €290 if you leave it till after July 1st.

Six months is a long time to be driving around on UK plates.

Tax it for 6 months then. I don't see the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Kali wrote: »
    Tax it for 6 months then. I don't see the problem.

a parallel tax system has been introduced.

one as at the moment, another for all cars registered after July 1 next. There will be no switching between the streams you're in. So once the OP registers pre: July 1 he will be stuck on the more expensive stream, (as will anyone who buys the car from him, afaik)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Was unaware of that (I'm in the UK at the moment so missing out on the new changes), seems quite strange as from what you say then the higher tax stream is pretty much indefinite? Sounds like the motor industry is once again lining the government's pockets, as this along with the VRT changes will just increase new car expenditure *goes off to read budget threads*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

eh.. no. a lot of cars are going up to €2,000 a year to tax.

Advertisement