Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tim Tebow wins the Heisman

• 09-12-2007 3:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone watch the Heisman award ceremony last night? Tebow won, making him the first non-junior or senior to win the award, which is great cos he is such a class player... Although watching the awards i was half hoping that Colt Brennan would win, he came across as a cool guy, tebow is a bible basher and stuff...

No matter, Gators ftw!

Linkage

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭westair

dulpit wrote: »
    Anyone watch the Heisman award ceremony last night? Tebow won, ... tebow is a bible basher and stuff...

He won't be out of kilter in the NFL then - if you have ever been to a live game you will have seen the amount of praying that goes on - usually before a game each team gathers in a circle and prays. Praying is quite usual and "normal" and praise for Jesus not infrequent after a win. Just last week when Redskins QB Jason Campbell went down with an injury one of the players from the Bears team came over and knelt beside him to pray.

BTW do you actually know what the term "bible basher" means in the vernacular? It doesn't apply to everyone with religion by any means and from what I kinow of Tebow he certainly is no "bible basher" - just a believing Christian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

westair wrote: »

BTW do you actually know what the term "bible basher" means in the vernacular? It doesn't apply to everyone with religion by any means and from what I kinow of Tebow he certainly is no "bible basher" - just a believing Christian.

Sorry Westair, I seem to be going after you at the minute, it's nothing personal :D From what I know of Tebow, he started preaching at his parents' church (or whatever) from the age of 15, and was homeschooled to ensure his upbringing was religious enough, which may be enough to qualify as a bible basher - not definitely, but it's not that he's merely religious...

I agree with daveirl though, who really cares what he believes in - I'm sure you could look at sportspeoples' religious beliefs from a sociological point of view, they're in an unstable environment with short careers where one bad tackle, one stud twisted in the ground or one dropped ball can end a career, so it's very attractive for them to have faith in a power that will prevent this. That's my amateur attempt at explaining the seemingly widespread religious belief in sport anyway....

Back on topic, well done Tebow

Manny7 wrote: »
    Sorry Westair, I seem to be going after you at the minute, it's nothing personal :D From what I know of Tebow, he started preaching at his parents' church (or whatever) from the age of 15, and was homeschooled to ensure his upbringing was religious enough, which may be enough to qualify as a bible basher - not definitely, but it's not that he's merely religious...

Back on topic, well done Tebow

Manny - No problem at all with a disagreement but you have to know that I live in Maryland - it is quite normal around rural US for kids to be "home schooled" because of the reality that the state schools are not doing religion. Two of my neighbors here home school their kids - they're not bible bashers they just want a religious background for their kids. The small independent Christian churches encourage young people to preach and "witness" as it is known. But these are not necessarily "bible bashers" - a term which usually describes the intolerant and fire and brimstone types.

That's all I was trying to say that just because someone grew up the way Tebow did does not mean that he is a bigoted bible thumper. It's all part of the culture here. Forget NY city and California - the heartland US is culturally different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Wow, talk about controversial from me... All i meant was that Tebow was praising jesus, seemed a tad boring to me, whereas colt brennan came across as a cool dude...

Anyways, Tebow is superman, leave it at that...

Edit: Just re-read my OP, it does sound like i'm having a go, my bad... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Tebow is well deserving of it. You just need to see that play where he was snapped the ball and took one step forward and the safeties all started running forward whereupon he threw it over their heads. He was a difference maker, his stats were great and he plays tough. I like him a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Question about Tebow, would he be classed as an NFL prospect? Was listening to PTI podcast last week , they weren't too optimistic... Kornheiser (i think) suggested that someone might sign him as a fullback or something, but not as a QB...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,314 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

dulpit wrote: »
    Question about Tebow, would he be classed as an NFL prospect? Was listening to PTI podcast last week , they weren't too optimistic... Kornheiser (i think) suggested that someone might sign him as a fullback or something, but not as a QB...

Kornheiser's a fool. I hate him on Monday Night Football.

Tebow definitely has NFL prospects. He's huge, can run quick and throw fast, long and accurate. He's said he'll finish his senior year in college so we'll see where he is in 2 years.

Dodge wrote: »
    Kornheiser's a fool. I hate him on Monday Night Football. .

Agree completely - Kornheiser is a fool and boring with it. Limited knowledge - they ought to have gone with Joe Theismann, their original choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Tebow could be a good Carson Palmer type QB but he does need more polish. It'll be interesting to see if he runs less next year in order to try to improve his passing game. He'll definitely be selected in NFL draft when he enters but as others said hard to know where he'll go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement