Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is your reaction to this?

• 09-12-2007 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

This week's Athletics Weekly reports that Thoma Abyu's 2:10.37 lifetime best clocking at the Dublin City Marathon which is a comfortable qualifier for the Beijing olympics will not be considered eligible as it was 'run on a course that had not been measured by an IAAF or AIMS approved measurer'. The result is that Abyu will now have to run another marathon to try and get the time.

Surely after over a quarter of a century, a race which endeavours to attract athletes from around the world should have this minor technical requirement in order? Not trying to start an argument here but I'm just wondering (as a sprints person) whether our athletics community here thinks this is acceptable or is there an explanation I'm not aware of.?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Pretty bad, it would be like having no electronic timing at the Cork City Sports. I wonder did the elite runners know this before they competed, doubt it. You have to feel for that guy, the initial elation of thinking you had the Beijing standard and then to be told you don't. Its not like he can run another marathon next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

yeah I seen that myself and thought it was a bit strange. I wonder what the reasoning is behind not getting it measured to the proper standard. I'm guessing they can't do this retrospectively either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

This is a statement on another forum I frequent from one of the race organisers:
    There are three levels of qualification. Our Course measurer, Bily Kennedy, is level 2 which entitles him to sanction the measurement of a course for international events(only a level 1 can sanction a Championship course - there is only one level 1 in Ireland)

Maybe it needed to be a "Championship course" to be accepted for the Olympics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

all the same in order to qualify now he must run another beforre the deadline that not right for a championship standar athlete like could they not have flown someone in to measure it as it is regarded as one of the big international marathons and attracts some big names

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

I was just looking at the rules for qualification on the AAI website and I'd assume its the same for the UK. The IAAF produce a list of marathon's that an athlete can get a qualifying time on. I'm assuming here that the IAAF didn't say Dublin and then change their minds afterwards. Also an Irish athlete will have to contact the AAI at least 3 days before a qualifying attempt is being made. Surely if he was to contact the UK equivalent someone would have said "eh, you do realise you can't qualify on that course?"

• Advertisement
Advertisement