Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetables in a Chinese takeaway...

• 09-12-2007 4:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭

You know the veg you get when you order say chicken wings or the like, how is it cooked? The veg always tastes amazing and I would love to be able to make it the way that the Chinese do.

Usually it's made mostly from green peppers and onions with some red chilli's but how is it cooked? Is there some honey or olive oil put in it as well?

Would love it if someone could tell me exactly how to cook it!

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 good intentions

You know the veg you get when you order say chicken wings or the like, how is it cooked? The veg always tastes amazing and I would love to be able to make it the way that the Chinese do.

Usually it's made mostly from green peppers and onions with some red chilli's but how is it cooked? Is there some honey or olive oil put in it as well?

Would love it if someone could tell me exactly how to cook it!

Thanks.

Hi Bobby,

Sorry to rain on your parade man, but it sounds to be like it's the MSG in the food :(

Check out more info here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monosodium_glutamate

However, if you want to cook some tasty asian style vegetables, I would suggest getting the usual suspects (broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, ginger, pak choi) and you can either saute them in a wok with some soy sauce and chinese 5 spice, or (and my favourite way and healthier) stick them into a steamer and sprinkle some chinese 5 spice over them, and add some soy sauce before you serve.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yeah, could be MSG. Also get yourself some sesame oil and stir fry SMALL amounts quickly. If you add too much water escapes and they stew. Sesame oil burns easy, you could cook on a very high heat with veg oil and add some sesame after, a little goes a long way flavourwise. Whenever I cook with it people ask what it is or comment on it smelling nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

The closest I have managed to get to the veg you get with chicken wings is have all your veg ready - onions, peppers, couple of chillies, a couple cloves of garlic grated. Then get a wok really hot (smoking) and add some oil, preferably a groundnut oil due to it being able to take high heat. Add your veg and stirfry for no more than 60 - 90 seconds depending on how well done you like the veg. Add a shake of salt during cooking for flavour and sesame oil can also be added near the very end. If you run out of oil mid way through cooking, add a drop of water so that the dish doesn't end up too oily.

A lot of the flavour definitely comes from flash cooking at high heat, so make sure that wok is smokin before you start!!

Advertisement