Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Isdn

Options
  • 09-12-2007 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Quick question - what is the difference between ISDN and Broadband for Business?

Is ISDN now obsolete with the advent of DSL?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ISDN is totally obsolete, it's older technology than myself >20 years.

adsl is old too, but with eircom calling the shots in ireland we'll still have 3mbit adsl when i'm 40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Avoid like the plague

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

If your un lucky enough not to be able to receive adsl.or FWA BB. you'll be very happy with isdn..;)Some people cant even get isdn stuck with analogue dial up...:mad:

having had both ISDN, dial-up and now 3mbit adsl i can safely say to you i'd rather have dial up than isdn.

double the price of dial up for double the speed if you only use one channel and let's face it, it's expensive enough with line rental nevermind using the two chanels.

Cremo wrote: »
    having had both ISDN, dial-up and now 3mbit adsl i can safely say to you i'd rather have dial up than isdn.

double the price of dial up for double the speed if you only use one channel and let's face it, it's expensive enough with line rental nevermind using the two chanels.

Double the price! what number were you dialing?.. most dial ups around my area that cant get BB are all on carrier units ..lucky to get 28k (usually 14 or so).in fact a lot of them have tried for ISDN but cant get it cos they not on a pair of wires,,. I'd take 64K any day over that..

• Advertisement

well it's been a while since i had ISDN but don't you have to pay for two line rentals as you effectively have two phone numbers? so that's 24 x 2 = 48 for one months rental of two phone lines, since eircom bills you bi-monthly that's a whopping 96 euros line rental alone.

then you have to still use a local ISP number 1890 or something, or if you get one of them bundles for 180 hours, but then if you use full 128k you only get 90 hours?

may have changed since i last had ISDN so excuse me if i'm wrong.

Cremo wrote: »
    well it's been a while since i had ISDN but don't you have to pay for two line rentals as you effectively have two phone numbers? so that's 24 x 2 = 48 for one months rental of two phone lines, since eircom bills you bi-monthly that's a whopping 96 euros line rental alone.

then you have to still use a local ISP number 1890 or something, or if you get one of them bundles for 180 hours, but then if you use full 128k you only get 90 hours?

may have changed since i last had ISDN so excuse me if i'm wrong.
    Its been a long time since i used it too.. but yes its one isdn channell 2 analogue phone numbers but its not double the rent its slightly cheeer than having two analogue lines think its seventy some thin plus vat..the bundles can only apply to one channell ..But if you want half decent internet access and cant get BB your gona have ta pay..
    Any way i wasnt talking about the price I was talking about the access..compared to reg dial up its a lot better.:)

Advertisement