Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Size of windows updates

• 09-12-2007 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

I am thinking I might reformat this laptop and go back to the facory image with restore disks as it is not running great.

My question is would the windows updates that will download amount to a very considerable amount of download? Anything after SP2 will download automatically, unless I turn off windows updates which may leave me vulnerable. But I also know some do not think updates are important for security

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Post SP2 updates your looking at 75-100mb's of updates and 15 of that is Internet Explorer 7. Shouldn't take 10-15mins on broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

majiktripp wrote: »
    Post SP2 updates your looking at 75-100mb's of updates and 15 of that is Internet Explorer 7. Shouldn't take 10-15mins on broadband.
    That's not bad, thought it might eat my download allowance. You sure yeah?
    Thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved to windows.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

don't forget the three dotnets and media player and their patches too
    and realplayer and acrobat reader and all their patches and microsoft office patches too

Microsoft release updates that prevent anyone taking complete control of your PC if you visit their web site / open an emailed document or other normal stuff at least every two months :(

Tomorrow night they should have the latest patches ready

BTW Windows 2000 SP4 needs another 77MB of patches before you go to IE and the rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

don't forget the three dotnets and media player and their patches too
    and realplayer and acrobat reader and all their patches and microsoft office patches too

Microsoft release updates that prevent anyone taking complete control of your PC if you visit their web site / open an emailed document or other normal stuff at least every two months :(

Tomorrow night they should have the latest patches ready

BTW Windows 2000 SP4 needs another 77MB of patches before you go to IE and the rest

Why anyone would still be using WMP is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Throw in the .NET framework and patches and that fairly ups the size of updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

If you download all updates from fresh SP2 your looking at 109 updates includes everything from your os patches to XMLSP6 WM11, IE7 and .nets upto 3.0 about 200mb

If you were desperate -- say on dial-up -- it would be tempting to get someone with broadband to download the SP3 RC for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

ethernet wrote: »
    If you were desperate -- say on dial-up -- it would be tempting to get someone with broadband to download the SP3 RC for you.
    Is the RC SP3 out now is an RC a beta? Not on dial up

Is the RC SP3 out now is an RC a beta? Not on dial up
    Indeed it is in RC stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Anybody else notice an unusually large amount of windows updates for xp over the past two weeks or so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

No but I got a heap of them on Vista a couple of days ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Guys stop whining Redhat has even more updates than Windows...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mick.fr wrote: »
    Guys stop whining Redhat has even more updates than Windows...
    :rolleyes:
    You can't have windows without IE so you have to include them too when counting "windows" ones.

Also most linux distro's include application software. So to compare like with like you would have to include http://officeupdate.microsoft.com patches too.

How big is your WSUS cache ?

And finally how do you fix windows update when it stops working ??

Advertisement