Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

check this out

Options
  • 09-12-2007 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Ive never done a test before on mt broadband in dungarvan which was supposed to be 9Mb, Just id a test and got some interesting results. Did the test a few times and got the same results.

Check it out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Very nice, whats that costing you?

Still the same old poop uploads though.

I have friends in the UK all on 20Mb Virgin cable lines, and they still want more!

Greedy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

A half meg upload isn't bad either IMO. Most people don't upload much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭lifebook

It cost €39/Month. The half meg up is ok. I can easily keep good ratios on most private trackers. I had the guys from Cablevision in on Tuesday replacing my STB and they informed me that they are soon goona be going 20 24/2 Mb with no increase in price.

The apparently bought the fibre network down here from eircom for 30K in 1998!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Well thats amazing if they are doing that and giving good service as most ISP's are either slow or expensive or not giving what they are selling in the country ATM.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

lifebook wrote: »
    I had the guys from Cablevision in on Tuesday replacing my STB and they informed me that they are soon goona be going 20 24/2 Mb with no increase in price.

Knowing Casey Cablevision it will be 20 or 24 not UP TO 20 or UP TO 24. Dublin style crap . We are used to the techological leadership that is continually emanating from Dungarvan .

Dungarvan had the first BB in Ireland, in 1998, and REALLY SHOULD make a FUSS about being the first town in Ireland to have had BB for 10 years, the launch was in June 1998 I thinks . NTL launched in Tallaght in 1999 or 2000. Dungarvan had the first 1mbit entry level BB and then 2mbit ( iirc) and nowadays 9mbit ENTRY LEVEL BROADBAND .

All in all something to crow LOUDLY about . And ye have been stuck on 9mbits for 3 or 4 years now so it surely must be time for an upgrade down there :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

aye it's nice broadband alright, it's a pity feck all people can get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I remember drooling at that cablesurf broadband way back when - so close, yet so far away when I was leeching every second out of IOL no limits before they started dishing those letters out.

I'm happy now with 6meg from NTL. Does me fine.

Cremo wrote: »
    aye it's nice broadband alright, it's a pity feck all people can get it.

Everybody in Dungarvan can, they have no line failures down there :p

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Everybody in Dungarvan can, they have no line failures down there :p
    aye but what's the population in Dungarvan, less than 10,000? how many of them know what a broadband is?

I really dunno what your problem is cremo .....apart from the fact that Bray is the largest town in Ireland which is cabled but has no cable BB :D Its been coming soon for however long it takes to keep ye placid :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Ive never done a test before on mt broadband in dungarvan which was supposed to be 9Mb, Just id a test and got some interesting results. Did the test a few times and got the same results.

Check it out

Fair play. Sounds like an excellent ISP. Not too often you see a company exceed their service promises. Refreshing really.

oh and theres no download cap at all. One month I went well over the 500GB mark and thought I better call em and make sure. I got a call back from some dude that manages the noc for them and he told me that it never even raised an eyebrow.

When I was living in Naas on Eircom BB I got a bill once for nearly a grand for exceeding my download cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

oh and theres no download cap at all. One month I went well over the 500GB mark and thought I better call em and make sure. I got a call back from some dude that manages the noc for them and he told me that it never even raised an eyebrow.

When I was living in Naas on Eircom BB I got a bill once for nearly a grand for exceeding my download cap.
    You didn't pay it did you?

That's a disgrace:( We all know that proper broadband like you find in Dublin especially always has a cap. Country people obviously haven't a clue how to run a service.

Had no choice but to pay it. First they cut me off, then i got the usual letters saying how much of a bad person I was then i got a summons ad not one of those ones where they state that you still have 7 days to pay a proper one with a court date.

They wouldnt release my line to any other ISP either so I had to pay it or move house.

Now living in Dungarvan :)

Hey sponge, Ya us country people suck with our real broadband connections that actually work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

You're the first person I've come across on boards who has been charged by eircom for exceeding the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The relevant government department should be decentralised to Dungarvan.

I know two other people that got charged for exceeding the cap.

I wouldnt mind but we weree all forking out for business starter which gave us some extra cap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I still have the actual bill somewhere as well. Will see if I can find it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I often wondered how far they would let you go. I download 200 to 300 gigs a month. Good to know what you were told :) Now if only they would upgrade the upload.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Anemone

Getting back to Cablesurf in Dungarvan, I've been using it for about 7 years, and the service has been very good. In the last week or so I've noticed a big increase in the download speed. Here's a typical example:

213018729.png

The highest test I did on speedtest.net gave 38 mbit. That's not a typo. Here's the proof:

212858619.png

Now if only the rest of the Internet would catch up ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Anemone wrote: »
    Getting back to Cablesurf in Dungarvan, I've been using it for about 7 years, and the service has been very good. In the last week or so I've noticed a big increase in the download speed. Here's a typical example:

213018729.png

The highest test I did on speedtest.net gave 38 mbit. That's not a typo. Here's the proof:

212858619.png

God - and here i was all delighted with my smart 8mb connection :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Hmm... The upload is not so hot. My Limerick Metro is about 1500kb/s upload. The download is impressive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

I am near Ardmore and I sure would like to have those speeds, instead I am using 3G. 1Meg down, 300K up... Grand for checking web pages but not recommended for watching movies etc..

It costs me €19.99/month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

That TV system in Dungarvan is State of the art. Not one wire on a house - everything buried. And its their own Fibre system. They didn't buy it from anyone. They really are a fully independent operation.

A shining light to everyone else really.

Well done Casey TV.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Is it a HFC network(UPC) they have or completely fibre system(Magnet)?.
    I'm guessing HFC (Hybrid fibre coax). Its more suited to Ireland and alot cheaper to build, while still having most of the benfits of a complete fibre system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

If its viable for a town like Dungarven to have such a service, then surely it should be viable to get such a service in suburbs around the counrty where population densities are higher???

It is possible to provide such a service on UPC's network(well some of it). The only thing that stops them is the equipment in the headend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Anemone wrote: »

213018729.png

212858619.png

My downspeed is nothing like that. Bah Humbug

214217772.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Getting busy in Limerick on Metro
    214256792.png
    To get Dungarvin speeds on Digiweb Metro and UPC cable requires smaller sectors / smaller cable segments = less users = More speed possible. So not just a matter of the Head End. You'd need for UPC to add several "head ends" per street (i.e. fibre fed cabinet for each street).

With phone line, in theory you just swap the DSLAM for a VDSL model. Of course only people close to exchange get the 100Mbps. But if a Cabinet at end of street had VDSL DSLAM and fibre feed, then everyone in the street could get 200Mbps :)

There is no point in higher end user artificial speeds like in UK with 8Mbps to 20Mbps getting advertised where many users never ever get more than 1/3rd of the advertised. You need vastly improved backhaul. What's the point of such high speed if your cap gets used up in two days?

Unless the cap is about 500GByte there is not much point in 20Mbps throttled to 100k after 1 day.

• Advertisement

watty wrote: »
    To get Dungarvin speeds on Digiweb Metro and UPC cable requires smaller sectors / smaller cable segments = less users = More speed possible. So not just a matter of the Head End. You'd need for UPC to add several "head ends" per street (i.e. fibre fed cabinet for each street).

I agree with you on that watty thats why I said some of the network. They often add another node to an area to reduce the number of house on the one node(headend feed a secondary hub which then feed the nodes). With the new upgraded areas and the previous upgrade(Tallaght, etc) It very possible to jump to 20 megs as the number are all setup for it.

Advertisement