Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frame too big....

Options
  • 09-12-2007 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

My younger brother's getting an SCR 4.0 for xmas off my parents (well he's giving them half for it). Anyways, he never told me about it and went straight into cycleways and put a €100 deposit on it. It's their last SCR4.0 and it's a large frame, but he's only about 5'10 or so, so that frame's way too big for him. BTW: my younger brother's not a cyclist, he just really likes my roadie and wants something similar, so he doesn't know anything about sizing.

He said the guy in there told him it was the perfect size for him, but there's no way that's right. He said the guy lowered the saddle and he could just about touch his toes off the ground. I'd say the saddle's down really low for him to do that-my Focus Variado's a medium frame and it's too big for him and i'm 6ft.

Can he get his deposit back since the salesman clearly just wanted to get rid of the last one?

The only thing i can say is that he's only 17 so he's probably gonna grow a bit more (my other brother's 6'2 and i'm 6ft so i'd say he'll hit the 6ft mark in a couple of years) so the frame'd probably be okay for him then, but it'd be better if it fits now.

I'm really annoyed about this, but i don't want this to turn into a cycleways bashing thread, i just wanna know if he can get the deposit back since the salesman was misleading him.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Should be a refundable despoit, no? Perhaps transfer the deposit to a bike they can order in in your Bro's right size.

I think your right. Get him a bike that fits him now, not one that will fit him later.

(How I managed a reply without bashing cycleways I don't know.... DOH!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

not to assess whether the frame is or isn't the wrong size, but the size should be measured against bottom of the pedal stroke, and not against the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

i have an scr 3 with a large frame and im 5' 11. i think it will fit ok

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RtD

I have a large FCR1 and I'm just over 5'9", there's still about 7 inches of saddle stem showing. I do over 100k on it every week so if it didn't fit properly I'd have a fair idea. FCR has flat bars though so don't know if the different riding position gives the best comparison but the compact frame design of the Giants perhaps gives a bit more size flexibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

cunnins4 wrote: »
    He said the guy in there told him it was the perfect size for him, but there's no way that's right.

he could be right. i think the best thing is to see him on the bike.

5' 10" ain't small, especially if he's got a couple of inches left to go. those giants have very compact geometry so comparing it to your focus (which has a nearly horizontal top-tube, right?) wouldn't necessarily be the best guide. plus every manufacturer sizes differently. if a large means 58cm, he might be ok, or would be with a slightly shorter stem.

if you put him on the bike in the shop and it's clear that it simply does not fit i'd be surprised if the-shop-in-question gave you a hard time about transferring the deposit to another bike. if they decided to be difficult then you might have a problem though, but i doubt they would.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

This might be a decent guide: http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewContent.asp?idpage=40

Also, I read somewhere that if you've got at least an inch gap between crotch and the top bar with both feet flat on the ground, then you're pretty much in business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Cheers for the advice-i'm going in with him tomorrow to check the fit. I realise the geometry's different on the bike but i was looking at the size recommendations on wiggle and a large is recommended for 6-6ft3 and also my friend has a small and he's about 5'8 so I just don't think the large would be right. As said above though i'll have to wait until I see the bike with him on it.

Hope they're sound about it, they may redeem themselves slightly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

davyjose wrote: »

Also, I read somewhere that if you've got at least an inch gap between crotch and the top bar with both feet flat on the ground, then you're pretty much in business.

That isn't necessarily true nowadays where you get compact frame geometries. Which methinks the SCR4 has.

I stand corrected. Went in today and had a look. It should be okay, a tad on the big side, but it'll be fine.

Cycleways slightly redeemed

HAHAHAHAHA! I take it back, cycleways are as incompetent as ever. They've LOSTthe bike! I shít you not. Papa went in to collect the bike this morning, and not only have they lost the payment for the bike, but it would seem they've sold it to someone else!!!

Hahahahaha! I'm loving it. My aul lad's going mental! They kept him in the shop for 40mins and 3 different blokes spoke to him about it and then they sent him off without the bike and said they'd give him a call. Hahahaha! Absolutely hilarious to hear him going mad. I've told him to insist on a refund, that they can get it cheaper from wiggle, or to get them to throw in a set of lights and mudguards. This should be interesting.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I've never had a bad experience in Cycleways but that really is appalling.
    cunnins4 wrote: »
    HAHAHAHAHA! I take it back, cycleways are as incompetent as ever. They've LOSTthe bike! I shít you not. Papa went in to collect the bike this morning, and not only have they lost the payment for the bike, but it would seem they've sold it to someone else!!!

Hahahahaha! I'm loving it. My aul lad's going mental! They kept him in the shop for 40mins and 3 different blokes spoke to him about it and then they sent him off without the bike and said they'd give him a call. Hahahaha! Absolutely hilarious to hear him going mad. I've told him to insist on a refund, that they can get it cheaper from wiggle, or to get them to throw in a set of lights and mudguards. This should be interesting.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

today is the day on give up on cycleways forever. i was in there today looking for a few bits and pieces and all of a sudden i'd just had enough.

everything i want seems to be either out of stock, or twice the price i could get it on the net, or both. the staff are mindblowingly condescending for people who i suspect know a lot less than they claim about bikes (who here has never heard of a "chain-whip"?). yes, i'm sure it depends on who you talk to in there but i dealt with three different individuals today and each one was incompetent in his own special way. they won't be getting any more of my money.

Well, they didn't sell it to someone else in the end. I went in with my bro after lunch to get it and again they kept us waiting for ever. None of them seemed to know where on earth the bike was for ages! I was quite bemused. Then one of the staff asked us if we were okay, and I replied that we were waiting on a bike. "Do you need any accessories for your bike?". I replied no. "Are you sure you don't need any accessories?".FFS why always trying to sell me things after I've said no. Even when we're kept waiting all day for something after making two fecking trips to the place!

The bike finally came up and I just gave it a quick look over, everything seemed fine except the tyres were quite soft. The chap that tried selling the accessories then grabbed a pump when he saw me prod them, fair enough he was on the ball, or so I thought. He put the nozzle on wrong and the air came out of the tyres! I watched as he pumped and the gauge went up, and then down again, up and then down again. Finally one of his colleagues showed him how to attach it properly.

Whilst all of this was going on, another guy was trying to find the bike on the system, again! Then another guy came along and the two of them tried to find it. Finally another guy came and informed them that there was a problem with it and it was fine to leave. So all in all, it took two hours of driving (2 trips in and out), and about 1hr10mins in the shop to collect a fúckin bike.

Cycleways Staff:
    istockphoto_184793_wise_monkeys.jpg

Advertisement