Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless router setup with digiweb metro

Options
  • 09-12-2007 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

I'm getting digiweb metro in this week. I read on the digiweb website that I need a Wireless Ethernet Broadband Router in order to get a wireless connection. Where can I buy one these and how much roughly do they cost? I will probably be getting the modem installed in my living room but my computer is set up in my bedroom, I presume the signal will transmit ok through the walls of my apartment?
    Also, would it be possible to share the wireless conection between my computer and my Xbox360, what equipment would I need for that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

You can share with your Internet with your 360 using ICS in your Pc but you need an ethernet cable so they should be near enough each other.

Otherwise you'd be as well off to buy the wireless card for the 360 (online for 30-40 Euro or in stores here for about 80-100 euro).

Routers are about 40-100 Euro and can be got almost anywhere. You don't need an ASDL router but just what Argo's call a cable router I think.

I have a Linksys WRT54GS and it has great options for everything from VPN to prioritising gaming traffic through the router and it never needs to be restarted.

The router will work through walls. Mine is on the ground floor at the opposite end of the house from my 360 and Laptop almost exactly. I use ICS for the moment because I've not bought the wireless card for my 360 yet.

You need a regular network cable (no need for a cross over cable) for your computer to your 360 if using this method. You will not be able to stream to your 360 from your Pc using the cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Neilthefunkee1

i was piggybacking my 360 off my laptop wit an ol cable but it kept giving me terrible trouble wit the NAT.. was constantly strict.. opened the UDP/TCP ports but no joy... had to straight wire it from the router...

friend of mine didn have this problem.. hes usin a belkin router.. mine is a netgear WGR614. so maybe dont get a netgear one!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

The nat thing can be solved by opening the ports for XBox Live on your computer and your router so that the Xbox Live traffic can pass through.

It works on mine and I get open nat in the network test. I'm only using the DMZ setting for the moment because I've not had time to set it up properly. Its only a temp solution for me anyway as I'll be getting the 360 wireless card at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Neilthefunkee1

yeah i opend up the ports they tell you to open on the bungie website.. made no difference.. i just gave in a wired up my house wit a crap load of cable... got it for free.. thats the only reason!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

An ADSL router won't work at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement