Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Man Utd - Sunday 16th December

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

prendy wrote: »
    i would like to see riise play but at left midfield.he can attack but also double up on ronaldo. also i think mascherano has to be on top form to stop their midfield going forward.

Riise can attack?

And honestly, Kewell would do a better job marking Ronaldo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Riise can shoot from the touchline 60 yards out and get within 20-25 yards of the crossbar. That's sort of attacking, I guess.

But anyway I am not so confident about a United win. So long as Hargreaves plays, I'd be fairly confident that we can contain Liverpool's attack, but with Mascherano and the back 4 undoubtedly going to have instructions to get tight on anything coming from the attacking end of United's midfield, I'd worry where the goals will come from. I doubt Tevez or Rooney will get space, and I think it's too soon to be relying on Anderson to create anything. If ever a game was set up for Ronaldo, this is it however. He's coming into good form, and Liverpool are not as strong out wide as they are in the middle. If he gets any chance to run at Hyypia or Carragher, I think he could get some joy, but he could well be double marked out of the game.

That said, I predict that United will have the majority of attacking possession despite it being at Anfield, and you can always nick a goal with that being the case. I'll predict a cagey draw, leaning towards a cagey United win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I can see JoS coming off the bench again to settle the game. :(

I'm somewhat confident we can beat Utd but it's hard to know with Rafa who'll start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Man for man, Utd have the better 11 - no doubt about it. liverpool edge it in the defensive side of things, but in midfield and attack, utd have the better players.

Utd are also in form, and with the gap now just 1 point at the top, they're not under as much pressure as the pool are.

Had liverpool not lost at the weekend, i would have said both sides would take a draw. But *should* liverpool happen to go out in the CL, all of a sudden this match takes on huge importance and benetiz's head will be on the chopping board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Centre of midfield is where this will be won.
    If hargreaves doesnt play theres no way that anderson and carrick will be able to match
    whatever midfield combo that Liverpool play whether it be gerrard-mascherano
    or even mascherano-sissoko-gerrard.
    Liverpool will win the centre midfield battle, united will win the battle on the wings
    Its a case of which strikers play better on the day as both sides will have chances.
    Hard to call, Liverpool will win if carrick plays imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Sizzler wrote: »
    You might need to have a word with her so, as the match is on Sunday ;)

oh rollox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

smemon wrote: »
    Man for man, Utd have the better 11 - no doubt about it. liverpool edge it in the defensive side of things, but in midfield and attack, utd have the better players.

Rubbish.

Reina, Finnan, Carra, Agger, Arbeloa, Gerrard, Mascherano, Sissoko, Babel, Kewell,Torres

is as good as or if not better than utds first 11

Being a Pool fan, im used to listening to everyone under estimate us, in one ear out the other, let the men in red at the weekend do the talking for us.

AdrianII wrote: »
    Rubbish.

Reina, Finnan, Carra, Agger, Arbeloa, Gerrard, Mascherano, Sissoko, Babel, Kewell,Torres

Being a Pool fan, im used to listening to everyone under estimate us, in one ear out the other, let the men in red at the weekend do the talking for us.

As a liverpool fan, I have to say that United's starting xi is stronger, especially in the front 4, where i'd imagine only Torres would get in their team. But, football can be won and lost in midfield, and I think we're stronger than them there, even without Xabi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ideally i'd like to see Masch Gerrard Kewell and Lucas all playing, but Rafa will probably opt for Momo over Lucas. Never know though.

Would go for Torres and Kuyt up front. Kuyt throughout his career has had his best games in 'derby' style games. He also adds more if he's having a bad game then Crouch does when he's on bad form. Could be very ugly football if both Momo and Crouch play as well. Benayoun could be an interesting partner for Torres as well.

Babel definately saved for his impressive substitute performances, give him a good 30 or 35mins if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Anderson is much better than the Liverpool posters seem to think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

DesF wrote: »

I agree. Playmaker that looks for the ball, good passing range on him and can tackle.

He has all the ingredients to become a better player than Scholes was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Anderson has the potential to be one of the best players in the world, no doubt about it. I was sickened when he signed for United, absolute class player.

I love everyone banging on about Ronaldo going to be the match winner, when has he ever performed in a big game for United? He will do nothing except take a dive to win a penalty.

United fans are seriously under-estimating our defence, Hyypia has been in great form(bar 2 o.g's), he lacks pace but he never had it anyway so wheres the problem?

I can see this being like the FA cup game 2 years ago at Anfield, Rafa will pack the midfield, we'll over-run United in there and win 1 or 2-0.

I agree, but I think Lucas has been every bit as impressive.

Melion wrote: »
    I love everyone banging on about Ronaldo going to be the match winner, when has he ever performed in a big game for United?

And I love everyone else rubbishing him.

He's top scorer in the CL this season, isn't he? Are they not big games?

He scored twenty-odd goals last season, yeah?

All against "weak" opposition was it? He scored all of his goals against bottom six sides did he?

He looks like a world beater against crappy defences, for sure. BUT, what people fail to realise, is that he is usually double marked in the bigger games, but better teams, this means that two players are tied up with him, leaving other players to capitalise on the gaps left.

Ronaldo isn't a shít player, by any means.
    He will do nothing except take a dive to win a penalty.

That's just being childish imo.

After his antics this weekend he won't get a sniff of a penalty in Anfield.

i don't think anyone says he is, he is an excellent player. I just don't think he is a big game player though, not to say he is always crap in big games or anything, but when the stakes are high and United are a goal down against a top side with little time left, I know who I would look to and trust to get me out of trouble. Rooney or Scholes definitely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

tbh from what i've seen i think I would take lucas over anderson, lucas seems to offer both defensive and attacking qualities, while anderson is only attacking. but i haven't seen that much of either to be sure.

Call_me_al wrote: »
    tbh from what i've seen i think I would take lucas over anderson but i haven't seen that much of either to be sure.

Are you a Liverpool supporter, per chance?

I'm neither, as is well documented, but from the very first time I saw Anderson playing for ManYoo I was posting here about the guy. He is going to be absolutely immense.

His hunger for the game, his coolness on the ball, his skill, his passing, his tenacious ball winning tackles, his energy. Everything about the guy oozes class.

Not saying that Lucas isn't going to be a good player, I just think that Anderson is special.

And I love everyone else rubbishing him.

He's top scorer in the CL this season, isn't he? Are they not big games?

He scored twenty-odd goals last season, yeah?

All against "weak" opposition was it? He scored all of his goals against bottom six sides did he?

He looks like a world beater against crappy defences, for sure. BUT, what people fail to realise, is that he is usually double marked in the bigger games, but better teams, this means that two players are tied up with him, leaving other players to capitalise on the gaps left.

That's just being childish imo.

After his antics this weekend he won't get a sniff of a penalty in Anfield.

He hadnt scored a champions league goal until this season, and no i wouldnt consider Kiev or Sporting big teams anymore. He has never scored against Liverpool or Chelsea(or Arsenal til this season), he has never even played well against any of the so-called top teams in the premier league.

Good players can get away even when they are being marked out of a game. If anyone is going to mark him out of this game it will be Mascherano(just like he did against Kaka). I know it would take him out of the centre but thats what im expecting to happen on Sunday.

I never said he was shít, he is horribly over-rated but not shít. And how is it being childish? He has proven this season that diving is still a big part of his game. I cant post what i would like about him because im sure it would get reported and id get a ban from here.

I'm neither, as is well documented, but from the very first time I saw Anderson playing for ManYoo I was posting here about the guy. He is going to be absolutely immense.

His hunger for the game, his coolness on the ball, his skill, his passing, his tenacious ball winning tackles, his energy. Everything about the guy oozes class.

Not saying that Lucas isn't going to be a good player, I just think that Anderson is special.

Just imagine the 2 of them together for Brazil for the next 10 years, unbelievable potential.

Lucas has all the qualities you mention above. Plus he looks like a warrior. Anderson looks like Florent Sinama-Pongolle.

What a midfield Brazil are going to have though. It's been one of their weaknesses for years.

• Advertisement

He hadnt scored a champions league goal until this season, and no i wouldnt consider Kiev or Sporting big teams anymore. He has never scored against Liverpool or Chelsea(or Arsenal til this season), he has never even played well against any of the so-called top teams in the premier league.

Good players can get away even when they are being marked out of a game. If anyone is going to mark him out of this game it will be Mascherano(just like he did against Kaka). I know it would take him out of the centre but thats what im expecting to happen on Sunday.

I never said he was shít, he is horribly over-rated but not shít. And how is it being childish? He has proven this season that diving is still a big part of his game. I cant post what i would like about him because im sure it would get reported and id get a ban from here.

Hate to be pedantic but he scored against Arsenal twice at Highbury, 4-2 Man Utd. JOS yet again with a goal near the end :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

tbh from what i've seen i think I would take lucas over anderson, lucas seems to offer both defensive and attacking qualities, while anderson is only attacking. but i haven't seen that much of either to be sure.

LOL

Anderson has been immense so far for Utd.

I reckon if Heargreaves plays Utd win comfortably, if he doesnt then it will be a lot closer in the midfield battle.

For all the pool fans who say Rafa wont set up defensively, are you all on crack? You better pray he plays a deep back four and desperately tries to slug it out for the draw or jammy goal from a set piece, if he sets the team up to attack then Utd will soak up the pressure and destroy pool on the break.

LOL

I reckon if Heargreaves plays Utd win comfortably, if he doesnt then it will be a lot closer in the midfield battle.

For all the pool fans who say Rafa wont set up defensively, are you all on crack? You better pray he plays a deep back four and desperately tries to slug it out for the draw or jammy goal from a set piece, if he sets the team up to attack then Utd will soak up the pressure and destroy pool on the break.

your arrogance amuses me. Liverpool are more than capable of winning the game and winning it well. As i've said before, we went to the nou camp and had a go at Barcelona, and they had far more attacking Riches than United do. we won there, should have been 5 up at half time at home. You seem to think we should be afraid of you.

Deep back four? You know nothing about the way Liverpool play, which is about defending high up the pitch, defending as a team, attacking as a team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Gegerty

I used to hate Ronaldo but it has improved exponentially. There's no doubt the united coaches have worked hard on taking the glory hunting and diving out of his game, obviously based on last sat there is still room for improvement.

As for Liverpool Vs Man Utd, united will play it very very carefully and hope to catch them on the break, making for another very boring game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

are you all on crack?

lol
    AdrianII wrote: »
    Rubbish.

Gerrard and Torres, yes absolutely but no one else and i mean no one, not ever Carragher.

As for the diving issue, yes Ronaldo's dicving disgusts me as a utd fan but several Liverpool players have shown a propensity to dive in the past, Mr Gerrard included. Oh and Sissoko is a dirty bashtard!!

LOL

I don't know what the LOL is for. Anderson has been excellent for United, but Lucas has been excellent for liverpool anytime he's played. Not sure what's funny about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

you clearly havent seen utd games this season as this statement is pure shíte. you judging him from FM or youtube?

the thing that has surpsried most UTD fans is that he is willing to defend

Killme00 wrote: »
    lol

Gerrard and Torres, yes absolutely but no one else and i mean no one, not ever Carragher.

As for the diving issue, yes Ronaldo's dicving disgusts me as a utd fan but several Liverpool players have shown a propensity to dive in the past, Mr Gerrard included. Oh and Sissoko is a dirty bashtard!!

Mascherano would easily get into Uniteds midfield, a far better player than Hargreaves. And are you honestly telling me you wouldnt take Reina over VDS?

Killme00 wrote: »
    lol

You are absolutely blind if you think Ferguson wouldn't jump at the chance to put Mascherano in his starting XI

LOL

Love it, why the hell should we sit back and pray for a draw at Anfield?

• Advertisement

Mascherano would easily get into Uniteds midfield, a far better player than Hargreaves. And are you honestly telling me you wouldnt take Reina over VDS?

:confused:

VDS has been excellent for Man Utd. Only thing wrong with him is his age, and kicking can be quite dodgy but I'd have him over Reina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

yes that is what im telling you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Guyz are you all stupid Utd beat Derby 4-1 they're clearly the bestest team in Europe.

0-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Reina's a good shot stopper but he's too dodgy at corners and susceptible to charging out of his box and messing up...Everton last season for example...VDS is solid, had a bad patch after breaking his nose vs Spurs last season but other than that he's as solid and reliable as they come...

If Pool come out to attack Utd could hurt them on the counter but I'd imagine Rafa will be conservative and play two holding midfielders...playing away will probably suit Man U's style more (like against Arsenal), still think it'll be decided by a setpiece

if he sets the team up to attack then Utd will soak up the pressure and destroy pool on the break.

And you base this on what exactly?
    Liverpool have the best defensive midfielder in the League in Mascherano.
    Sissoko will probably also play which means a tackle every 36 seconds
    even if his own team mate has the ball.
    There will be no fluid gameplay and there will be no one destroyed on the break
    as you put it.
    The game will be won/lost by a goal probably from a set play.
    As with all games between the top 4 it will be cagey and probably won by
    either luck or a bit of magic which both teams are more than capable of.

Love it, why the hell should we sit back and pray for a draw at Anfield?

because that way it will be easy for United.

Reina's a good shot stopper but he's too dodgy at corners and susceptible to charging out of his box and messing up...Everton last season for example...VDS is solid, had a bad patch after breaking his nose vs Spurs last season but other than that he's as solid and reliable as they come...

Reina has hardly made a mistake since the Everton game, and has improved hugely on crosses. VDS was great, but Reina is a far better keeper now.

Thats why he has won the golden glove 2 years in a row after keeping 19 and 20 clean sheets in 2 seasons.
    Please dont make baseless arguments he is in the top 2 or 3 keepers in the Premiership

PiE wrote: »
    Guyz are you all stupid Utd beat Derby 4-1 they're clearly the bestest team in Europe.

0-0

To be fair we didn't crown ourselves champions after thrashing them like some other team did...

• Advertisement

IrishMike wrote: »
    Thats why he has won the golden glove 2 years in a row after keeping 19 and 20 clean sheets in 2 seasons.
    Please dont make baseless arguments he is in the top 2 or 3 keepers in the Premiership

Er, how is that baseless? Reina's height means he regularly misses or f***s up corners or crosses. Golden gloves? That has nothing to do with him being a better keeper than VDS...

If Pool come out to attack Utd could hurt them on the counter but I'd imagine Rafa will be conservative and play two holding midfielders...playing away will probably suit Man U's style more (like against Arsenal), still think it'll be decided by a setpiece

Reina has improved so much in these areas, he is without a doubt the 2nd best keeper in the premiership, far better than VDS.

And no way would I swap our back 5 as a unit, for United's. Reina, Finnan, Carra, Agger and Arbeloa are rock solid when fit, as are United's defence I know, there really is little to choose, Liverpool are great at holding a line, and defending set plays (bar saturday's hiccup of course)

Er, how is that baseless? Reina's height means he regularly misses or f***s up corners or crosses. Golden gloves? That has nothing to do with him being a better keeper than VDS...

Casillas isnt tall, Buffon isnt tall, Kahn isnt tall. They have all been at some stage of their career the best keeper in the world. You dont have to be tall to be a good kepper.

And yes of course it does, he had 19 clean sheets in 38 games, thats good goalkeeping.

Reina has improved so much in these areas, he is without a doubt the 2nd best keeper in the premiership, far better than VDS.

I beg to differ. I still think VDS reliability and all-round golakeeping skills trumps Reina's susceptibility to making grave errors

and he has a lovely shiny head.

• Advertisement

I beg to differ. I still think VDS reliability and all-round golakeeping skills trumps Reina's susceptibility to making grave errors

what's the last grave error Reina has made? the anelka chance v bolton was Carra's fault.

Care to point out any errors since the Everton game last season?
    And dont mention the Bolton game because he came out to clear the ball, called it but Carra didnt get out of his way(Carra's fault, not Pepe)

And yes of course it does, he had 19 clean sheets in 38 games, thats good goalkeeping.

True, but also good defending. I didn't rate Reina last season but he has improved, don't see how he has leap frogged VDS though, who is mister consistent and performs excellent saves

Unearthly wrote: »
    True, but also good defending. I didn't rate Reina last season but he has improved, don't see how he has leap frogged VDS though, who is mister consistent and performs excellent saves

He didnt have to "leapfrog" VDS, he has been better in the premiership since he came from Spain. IMO of course

Unearthly wrote: »

Mister consistent = Reina (see clean sheet record)
    Excellent saves = Reina (probably more so than any other prem keeper)

• Advertisement
Advertisement