Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Man Utd - Sunday 16th December

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Deep back four? You know nothing about the way Liverpool play, which is about defending high up the pitch, defending as a team, attacking as a team.

I didnt say thats how they defend I said thats how you should hope they defend because if they leave space in behind Utds pace is going to do them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

How about the FA Cup final in 2006? (granted, the penalty shoot-out) He was at fault for most, if not all, of WH's goals that day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Call_me_al wrote: »
    tbh from what i've seen i think I would take lucas over anderson, lucas seems to offer both defensive and attacking qualities, while anderson is only attacking. but i haven't seen that much of either to be sure.
    LOL
    p_larkin99 wrote: »
    you clearly havent seen utd games this season as this statement is pure shíte. you judging him from FM or youtube?

the thing that has surpsried most UTD fans is that he is willing to defend

now i CLEARLY stated I haven't seen enough to be sure so either you're both just using selective reading or you're not the smartest...

I have seen every Liverpool game this season being a Liverpool fan, and Lucas has been very impressive. I haven't seen many full United matches, generally only highlights on MotD and while he has impressed in an attacking role, his defensive attributes have not stood out for me.

sure we'll see on Sunday...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

How about the FA Cup final in 2006? (granted, the penalty shoot-out) He was at fault for most, if not all, of WH's goals that day...

Since the Everton game????

IrishMike wrote: »
    And you base this on what exactly?
    Liverpool have the best defensive midfielder in the League in Mascherano.
    Sissoko will probably also play which means a tackle every 36 seconds
    even if his own team mate has the ball.
    There will be no fluid gameplay and there will be no one destroyed on the break
    as you put it.
    The game will be won/lost by a goal probably from a set play.
    As with all games between the top 4 it will be cagey and probably won by
    either luck or a bit of magic which both teams are more than capable of.

This is basically what I said in my original post pool will most likely play Sissoko and Mascherano and just try to clog the whole game up in midfield without ever really trying to win it.

I said IF pool come on the attack Utd will do them on the break.

I also said pool will settle for a draw or try and win with a set piece ty for agreeing with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Mister consistent = Reina (see clean sheet record)
    Excellent saves = Reina (probably more so than any other prem keeper)

Reina is more prone to a mess up than VDS. As for the clean sheets, yes that shows good keeping, but excludes other factors such as the mistakes he made in the games he didn't keep clean sheets, or having a good defence infront of you(like he has)

and you are right, Reina wins shot stopper but VDS wins the most all rounder. Anyway think it's quite obvious neither of us want to change keepers so lets leave it at that

Unearthly wrote: »
    Reina is more prone to a mess up than VDS. As for the clean sheets, yes that shows good keeping, but excludes other factors such as the mistakes he made in the games he didn't keep clean sheets, or having a good defence infront of you(like he has)

and you are right, Reina wins shot stopper but VDS wins the most all rounder. Anyway think it's quite obvious neither of us want to change keepers so lets leave it at that

Where are these mistakes you're talking about? He had a howler against Everton last season and hasnt made a mistake since.

Melion wrote: »

Everton 3-0 win last season?

If so, the flapping at Ronaldos freekick which led to a easy knock in for the winner last season.

Incidentally, VDS made a good save from Crouch a couple of minutes beforehand :)

so you're admitting the back 5 liverpool have is better than uniteds or that Rafa is a better manager tactically than SAF?

It has to be one of the three either Reina > VDS, Liverpool Def > Man Uniteds Def or Rafa > SAF. you're choice....

er...against Arsenal for Fabregas' goal? That's off the top of my head, but there were a host from last season

• Advertisement

er...against Arsenal for Fabregas' goal? That's off the top of my head, but there were a host from last season

What??
    How can you blame Reina for that goal?

so you're admitting the back 5 liverpool have is better than uniteds or that Rafa is a better manager tactically than SAF?

It has to be one of the three either Reina > VDS, Liverpool Def > Man Uniteds Def or Rafa > SAF. you're choice....

I think Liverpool defend better as a team. So that means Rafa is better than Ferguson on the defensive side of things. As for attacking, well who wins that?....

He was rooted! Anyway, I'm bored of this...VDS is better all round IMO, Reina is better in your opinion. End of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

If people are going to keep posting facts, can they at least make sure they're right eg. Buffon not being tall. He's 6'3 ffs. There's loads more stuff about Ronaldo aswell that's blatantly made up.

I think the key for United is that Hargreaves plays. Anderson has taken to the Premiership like a duck to water and has really made the position in central midfield his own. I think United are a lot stronger here than they were last season, even though Scholes is missing. In United's defence, a lot will depend on how Rio plays. If Torres plays up front on his own, I'm sure he'll try to isolate Vidic and get him one-on-one. If that happens, he's got the beating of him for pace, so Ferdinand will need to be able to cover. Hopefully Giggs can put in a good performance aswell. I have a feeling he'll play an important part in this game.

In short, I can't wait for this game. I think it's impossible to predict who's going to win but I have a feeling that United will lay down a marker here, if Hargreaves plays. If Ronaldo has one of his off-days like he did against Arsenal, I'll be more than happy.

now i CLEARLY stated I haven't seen enough to be sure so either you're both just using selective reading or you're not the smartest...

I have seen every Liverpool game this season being a Liverpool fan, and Lucas has been very impressive. I haven't seen many full United matches, generally only highlights on MotD and while he has impressed in an attacking role, his defensive attributes have not stood out for me.

Here he is in action against Blackburn.

I think Liverpool defend better as a team. So that means Rafa is better than Ferguson on the defensive side of things. As for attacking, well who wins that?....

United are a better attacking team, just annoys me that if we won the league 5 years in a row united fans would still claim they were a better team!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

United are a better attacking team, just annoys me that if we won the league 5 years in a row united fans would still claim they were a better team!

Maybe from some, but imo the league table in may doesn't lie. The best team wins it. Whoever manages to win it has the best team.

Unless you count la liga where they don't go by goal difference... For some reason or other...

Why? United are the current league champions and Liverpool haven't won the league in 17 years. United are also above Liverpool in the league. It stands to reason that United are the better team.

Who do you think is the better team?

lordgoat wrote: »
    Maybe from some, but imo the league table in may doesn't lie. The best team wins it. Whoever manages to win it has the best team.

Unless you count la liga where they don't go by goal difference... For some reason or other...

I agree with that.

When Chelsea won the league by a mile for 2 years with a less attacking approach I still admired them for accumulating so many points. Best team by far in that period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

just annoys me that if we won the league 5 years in a row!

and that's what annoys the hell outa Man Utd fans ;)

An Citeog wrote: »
    Why? United are the current league champions and Liverpool haven't won the league in 17 years. United are also above Liverpool in the league. It stands to reason that United are the better team.

Who do you think is the better team?

i don't disagree, the stats are there but of course when a pool fan points out that reina has won the golden gloves twice in 3 years that of course doesn't mean he's better than vds there's another reason reina won the award. just one example but most united fans i know find it hard to admit a liverpool player is better than one of their own.

Finally how come when a striker wins top scorer he is the best striker but it doesnt work for goalies, double standard?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

3 or 4 nil to liverpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

I said IF pool come on the attack Utd will do them on the break.

I also said pool will settle for a draw or try and win with a set piece ty for agreeing with me.

Please dont put words in my mouth.
    I didnt say Liverpool would settle for a draw, i said they will probably play
    narrow in midfield so as to dominate the centre and try and win the match
    from having the majority of midfield possession. This will mean united will
    have more ball out wide but sissoko and mascherano cover so much ground
    that this may or may not be enough to win them the game.
    How this means Liverpool will settle for a draw is beyond me?
    Very hard for united to "do" liverpool on the break if they dont have the ball
    dont you think?

IrishMike wrote: »
    Please dont put words in my mouth.
    I didnt say Liverpool would settle for a draw, i said they will probably play
    narrow in midfield so as to dominate the centre and try and win the match
    from having the majority of midfield possession. This will mean united will
    have more ball out wide but sissoko and mascherano cover so much ground
    that this may or may not be enough to win them the game.
    How this means Liverpool will settle for a draw is beyond me?
    Very hard for united to "do" liverpool on the break if they dont have the ball
    dont you think?

Im pretty sure Utd will have the bal enough to do damage but we shall see either way at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

5 pages and its only Monday. Sheesh. :(

Mike.

• Advertisement

i don't disagree, the stats are there but of course when a pool fan points out that reina has won the golden gloves twice in 3 years that of course doesn't mean he's better than vds there's another reason reina won the award. just one example but most united fans i know find it hard to admit a liverpool player is better than one of their own.

Finally how come when a striker wins top scorer he is the best striker but it doesnt work for goalies, double standard?

I agree that Reina is a top goalkeeper and fair play to him winning the golden gloves. I'd still rather have Van der Sar at United though because I think he's the best attacking keeper there is, if you get my drift. He sets up so many counter attacks and his distribution is absolutely top class. He's also a top class keeper in the traditional sense of the word, although Reina is probably a better shot stopper. I'd still rate Cech as being better than both of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

More like 7 Mike. How long were you planning that post?:D

For the game i would personally prefer to see a Liverpool win(accompanied by an Arse one too please) but thats not necessarily to say i think they will. These kinda matches are never as simple as 'our players are better than yours so we're gonna win' like everyone's been going on here, so i think it could go either way. But it will most likely be an anti climax, along with the other "Super Sunday" game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

now i CLEARLY stated I haven't seen (or at all to be sure so either you're both just using selective reading or you're not the smartest...

I havent seen Lucas play so theres no point in me commenting on him

you're statement on Anderson is from someone who hasn't seen him play - you made a comment based on not seeing him at all as it would be obvious to you that if you had seen him you would say he has defensive attributes too!

almost always in MOTD you won't see much of UTD defending because it tends to be us attacking teams for the majority of the game so yes ok you have only seen him attack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Statso

Liverpool 2-1, Torres goal to seal the deal. Arsenal and Chelsea to draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

mike65 wrote: »
    7 pages and its only Monday. Sheesh. :(

Mike.

and each page full of childish comments. it amazes me how people lose the run of themselves when united play liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Am not even gonna bother calling this one. As for the petty arguments lads, will you give it a break..

If you were gonna merge the the two teams based on who has been fit and playing all season, it would be:

Reina
    Finnan
    Carragher
    Rio
    Evra
    Masch
    Ronaldo
    Gerard
    Giggs
    Torres
    Rooney

Subs: Van Der Sar, Vidic, Arbeloa, Hargreaves, Anderson, Tevez.

I really rate Vidic but feel that Carra and Rio would work extremely well together. Agger would be a close 4th choice to Vidic. If Gary Neville was fit, I would be sticking him in there over Finnan.

Saying that, changing Masch for Alonso, Hargreaves or Carrick would not weaken the team in the slightest.

Am not even gonna bother calling this one. As for the petty arguments lads, will you give it a break..

If you were gonna merge the the two teams based on who has been fit and playing all season, it would be:

Reina
    Finnan
    Carragher
    Rio
    Evra
    Masch
    Ronaldo
    Gerard
    Giggs
    Torres
    Rooney

Subs: Van Der Sar, Vidic, Arbeloa, Hargreaves, Anderson, Tevez.

I really rate Vidic but feel that Carra and Rio would work extremely well together. Agger would be a close 4th choice to Vidic. If Gary Neville was fit, I would be sticking him in there over Finnan.

Saying that, changing Masch for Alonso, Hargreaves or Carrick would not weaken the team in the slightest.

Hard to disagree with that. Vidic and Carragher is very close and my own personal preference would be for Vidic. You could even go so far as to move Ronaldo to the left, Gerard to the right and bring in Anderson in the centre of midfield instead of having Giggs in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

An Citeog wrote: »
    Hard to disagree with that. Vidic and Carragher is very close and my own personal preference would be for Vidic. You could even go so far as to move Ronaldo to the left, Gerard to the right and bring in Anderson in the centre of midfield instead of having Giggs in there.

Very fair point. Twould stick Scholes in there if he was fit and put Gerard on the right personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

He hadnt scored a champions league goal until this season, and no i wouldnt consider Kiev or Sporting big teams anymore. He has never scored against Liverpool or Chelsea(or Arsenal til this season), he has never even played well against any of the so-called top teams in the premier league.

Good players can get away even when they are being marked out of a game. If anyone is going to mark him out of this game it will be Mascherano(just like he did against Kaka). I know it would take him out of the centre but thats what im expecting to happen on Sunday.

I never said he was shít, he is horribly over-rated but not shít. And how is it being childish? He has proven this season that diving is still a big part of his game. I cant post what i would like about him because im sure it would get reported and id get a ban from here.

Nice to see youve researched your post Melion.

Hasnt scored in the CL before this season? Roma and Milan last season.
    Hasnt scored against Arsenal until this season? 2 goals against them in the famous 4-2 thriller.

And as for his diving? Steven Gerrard has dived an equal amount, if not more than Cristiano Ronaldo so before you post utter nonsense like that again and make yourself look like a fool, remember that there was football before Torres joined Liverpool.

And for those picking Torres above Tevez - since when is 6 goals and 2 assists better than 6 goals and 4 assists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Van der Saar

Neville
    Carragher
    Vidic
    Evra
    Ronaldo
    Gerard
    Scholes

Tevez

Torres
    Rooney

The best 11 from both imo, incl 8 Utd players which defends my original argument that Utd have the better players.

Liverpool have a jack charlton attitude/approach in some games which works very well (high tempo, pressing high up the pitch, up and at 'em etc..), but they can't maintain it throughout a season and hence are hit and miss as they have no plan B.

Chuck in all the pressure they're under and for that reason, my money's on Utd or a draw :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Archimedes wrote: »
    And as for his diving? Steven Gerrard has dived an equal amount, if not more than Cristiano Ronaldo so before you post utter nonsense like that again and make yourself look like a fool, remember that there was football before Torres joined Liverpool.

And for those picking Torres above Tevez - since when is 6 goals and 2 assists better than 6 goals and 4 assists?

You joking right? Ronaldo was booked for diving only a couple of weeks ago, hes a repeat offender.

Tevez has been average for united this season. Take out the Derby game and its only 4 goals this season. I'm not saying hes not a good player i'm just saying that i dont think we've seen the real Tevez yet for united.

I'm not gonna even try and call the game until after tomorrow night.

You joking right? Ronaldo was booked for diving only a couple of weeks ago, hes a repeat offender.

Tevez has been average for united this season. Take out the Derby game and its only 4 goals this season. I'm not saying hes not a good player i'm just saying that i dont think we've seen the real Tevez yet for united.

I'm not gonna even try and call the game until after tomorrow night.

take out torres vs derby and you get the same, what a stupid argument to make!

it was made on here a while back on the flip side too (to show im not being biased) where someone said to take out Torres' goals v Derby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Take out the Derby game for Liverpool then and Torres also only has 4 league goals for Liverpool. If Tevez has been average, and has outperformed Torres who is the best player in the world these days, then thats hell of a compliment for Tevez.

Take out the Derby, Sporting, Chelsea, Wigan, Boro, Kiev games for Tevez and I'll think you will find he has 0 goals this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Tevez has been average for united this season, Take out the Derby game and its only 4 goals this season.

tevez, 6 goals in the premiership, 2 in the champions league. thats 8 goals.
    torres, 6 goals in the premiership, 2 in the champions league. thats 8 goals.

and guess what, torres also scored 2 against derby.

• Advertisement

smemon wrote: »

Van der Saar

Neville
    Carragher
    Vidic
    Evra
    Ronaldo
    Gerard
    Scholes

Tevez

Torres
    Rooney

The best 11 from both imo, incl 8 Utd players which defends my original argument that Utd have the better players.

Liverpool have a jack charlton attitude/approach in some games which works very well (high tempo, pressing high up the pitch, up and at 'em etc..), but they can't maintain it throughout a season and hence are hit and miss as they have no plan B.

Chuck in all the pressure they're under and for that reason, my money's on Utd or a draw :cool:

Scholes left wing? Big no no

You are trying to accomodate the best players from each team but that formation doesn't suit the players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

smemon wrote: »

Van der Saar

Neville
    Carragher
    Vidic
    Evra
    Ronaldo
    Gerard
    Scholes

Tevez

Torres
    Rooney

Yes but of course that is your opinion and it is you who made the post to back up the other post that you made. :rolleyes: How does that mean anything at all ?

take out torres vs derby and you get the same, what a stupid argument to make!

it was made on here a while back on the flip side too (to show im not being biased) where someone said to take out Torres' goals v Derby.
    Archimedes wrote: »
    Take out the Derby game for Liverpool then and Torres also only has 4 league goals for Liverpool. If Tevez has been average, and has outperformed Torres who is the best player in the world these days, then thats hell of a compliment for Tevez.

first of all, how about you both read my posts properly lads. WHERE DID I COMPARE HIM TO TORRES??????????

i was talking about Tevez for united this season, i'm well aware of how many goals Torres has this season but i'm talking about Tevez and his performances.

so next time before hitting "Quick Reply" and trying to be the first poster to catch me out read the post. jesus is it collect 10 crisp packets and your allowed post in here now?

first of all, how about you both read my posts properly lads. WHERE DID I COMPARE HIM TO TORRES??????????

i was talking about Tevez for united this season, i'm well aware of how many goals Torres has this season but i'm talking about Tevez and his performances.

so next time before hitting "Quick Reply" and trying to be the first poster to catch me out read the post. jesus is it collect 10 crisp packets and your allowed post in here now?

the same could be said for what you posted!

the post you replied to was talking about tevez over torres.

and why would you take out teh 2 goals against derby? they not count?

and btw id have torres/rooney up top in the select XI

the same could be said for what you posted!

eh, no. it couldnt.

the post you replied to was talking about tevez over torres.

wrong again, it was mostly about gerrard and ronaldo. The last sentence was about torres v tevez, but i didn't even mention Torres' name in my post.
    and why would you take out teh 2 goals against derby? they not count?

Goals againt sub-standard opposition dont weigh as heavily, obviously enough. Benayoun got a hattrick against Besiktas in the champions league too, but "ah sure it was only against besiktas". Of course the caliber of the opposition matters.

I'm a big fan of Tevez and i honestly want him to do well, but dont tell me he's been outstanding this season.
    and btw id have torres/rooney up top in the select XI

good to hear, my mouth waters at the prospect of ever seeing these two playing together up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

tevez, 6 goals in the premiership, 2 in the champions league. thats 8 goals.
    torres, 6 goals in the premiership, 2 in the champions league. thats 8 goals.

and guess what, torres also scored 2 against derby.

Don't forget Torres' hat-trick against Reading in the Carling Cup.

Don't forget Torres' hat-trick against Reading in the Carling Cup.

no you're not getting this we're only allowed count the goals against teams united fans OK. so obviously Reading and Derby are out, so he's only scored.....

wait now i'm lost? which Torres goals count in the top scorer table?

oh all PL goals, even against Derby, FFS lads, this is why I hate most united fans....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Reina

Finnan
    Carragher
    Vidic
    Evra

Mascherano
    Scholes

Gerrard
    Rooney
    Ronaldo

Torres

Neville could easily slot in for Finnan, but I just plain hate the bloke. i think the front 6 picks itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Please keep it civil people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

*cough*

Mike.

Advertisement