Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Man Utd - Sunday 16th December

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

He never said that. He was talking about the players that rafa has signed and added that to the fact that he's still playing kewell who is, in his opinion,not very good.

The Cheyrou thing is unforgivable though. Do some decent research!!

He was running through the players Rafa signed and Harry's name was in the middle of them along with Pellegrino, Gonzalez, Josefi(????) etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Melion wrote: »
    He was running through the players Rafa signed and Harry's name was in the middle of them along with Pellegrino, Gonzalez, Josefi(????) etc.

Yes but he never said that rafa bought him, just that he still plays.
    Not defending dunphy.

Peno!!! looked like a dive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

So because we lost 1 game that means we dont have one of the best defences and centre midfield in the premier league? Surely by that logic Bolton have a better attack than United since they beat them a few weeks ago.

So sure that United win 2-0 put your money where your mouth is.

Firstly it was alleged that they have THE BEST central midfield and second best defence which is fanciful to say the least. My logic for my views is not based upon one game but rather Liverpool's form over the past number of seasons.

Yes United did badly against Bolton and likewise Arsenal did badly against Middlesbrough but these teams have shown the ability to be consistent whereas Liverpool have not.

And don't worry I intend to put my money where my mouth is. Man Utd beating Liverpool 2-0 is an 11-1 shot at Paddy Power. Too good to pass down. ;)

Firstly it was alleged that they have THE BEST central midfield and second best defence which is fanciful to say the least. My logic for my views is not based upon one game but rather Liverpool's form over the past number of seasons.

Yes United did badly against Bolton and likewise Arsenal did badly against Middlesbrough but these teams have shown the ability to be consistent whereas Liverpool have not.

And don't worry I intend to put my money where my mouth is. Man Utd beating Liverpool 2-0 is an 11-1 shot at Paddy Power. Too good to pass down. ;)

It is fanciful because i think we have the best defence, not the second best. Why base your opinion on the past seasons, we are a much better team this year than we were 2 years ago. We have a solid defence and dont have to rely on the likes of Traore.

So United played badly against Bolton, Arsenal against Boro but thats ok. Liverpool play badly against Reading and we're a poor side, confusing.

Want to just give me the money? Could sort a xmas present out for my nephew ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Want to just give me the money? Could sort a xmas present out for my nephew ;)

you seem very confident considering liverpool aint beaten united in the league in 3 seasons.....and, speaking about money, i hear you still haven't paid up on your CL bet you made last year with one of your mates, a united fan. i was going to bet money wit you until i heard this. money i will never see.

you seem very confident considering liverpool aint beaten united in the league in 3 seasons.....and, speaking about money, i hear you still haven't paid up on your CL bet you made last year with one of your mates, a united fan.

Thats because we havent been this good in 3 seasons. And tell my mate that he needs to worry about paying other people the money he owes them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

homerjay-i'll take that bet if its going :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Firstly it was alleged that they have THE BEST central midfield and second best defence which is fanciful to say the least.

How is that fanciful may i ask?
    United have leaked 8 goals and Liverpool 9, 3 of which was in their last game.
    This is the second best defence in the league.
    Now please explain to me how this is fanciful?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Considering Hyypia has one or two from those 9 technically other teams have only put 7/8 past you. ;)

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »

20 quid?

yep. if Utd win 0-2 or better, i send you 20euro, if they dont... you send me 20euro.

deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I'd take those odds if they are going HomerJay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'd be surprised if either team won by two goals. I think it'll be cagey in the extreme, either a draw or just the one goal winning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

We'll do them proper. Ronaldo will disappear as per usual in the big games. While Gerrard will rise to the occassion like he was born to do and has done on so so many occasions.

Can't wait for Torres to burn the arse off of Vidic either.

The only way we're losing this one is if we get screwed by the ref!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

has done on so so many occasions.

Like the last 6 previous league games?

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »
    Like the last 6 previous league games?

They were never big games. Invariably we were out of the race by then. Still doesn't take away from the fact he has done it on many many occassions!! :D

Being honest though, Ronaldo is the only player i fear. If i was Rafa I'd instruct Mascherano to be on his arse from start to finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

[edit - please delete]

el dude wrote: »
    We'll do them proper.

First, Big Claim.
    Ronaldo will disappear as per usual in the big games. While Gerrard will rise to the occassion like he was born to do and has done on so so many occasions.

Baseless claim.
    Can't wait for Torres to burn the arse off of Vidic either.

Pointless taunt.
    The only way we're losing this one is if we get screwed by the ref!!

Get out of jail free card for when it doesn't happen his way.

First, Big Claim.

Baseless claim.

Pointless taunt.

Get out of jail free card for when it doesn't happen his way.

Well your not much fun now are ya!!
    Baseless claim.

Ain't baseless. He's failed to deliver on the big occassion when It's mattered.

Ronaldo scored and played very well against Arsenal recently at the Emirates. Our biggest game of the season so far.

In fairness Gerrard has had many a quiet game - against united in particular IMO

And although you say he comes up trumps against the big teams, and I think you're right when it comes to Europe, his failure against the smaller teams in the league is inexcusable given his God-like status at Anfield.

And I am Fun. Lots of Fun. My Mammy tells me so every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

liverpool great defence,united have a great defence.Tough battle in the middle and it prob will come done to which match winner(torres/ronaldo)performs better.

I would be more confident if agger and alonso were playing.Could be a draw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

20 quid?
    yep. if Utd win 0-2 or better, i send you 20euro, if they dont... you send me 20euro.

deal?

Was speaking to Ed (homerjay2005), he plays for Boardeaux.

He said he accepts the bet :)

He'll be on later to say this himself, but he asked me to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

DesF wrote: »
    Was speaking to Ed (homerjay2005), he plays for Boardeaux.

He said he accepts the bet :)

He'll be on later to say this himself, but he asked me to do this.

So instead of placing the bet with Paddy Power with odds of 11-1, he's doing it here for even money. The mind boggles! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Infinitely more satisfaction taking millersangel money though. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

True, but that's the problem. United to win versus Liverpool to win would be so much easier. As a United fan, I'd even take that bet. A 1-0 win would suffice! ;)

spot on des, cheers........

yes, taking money off a liverpool fan is alot more sweeter than off a bookmaker! anyway, whos to say i dont have bets on already on this game?

had a double on liverpool and arsenal both loosing last weekend, so im well up after that. 20quid is nothing for games like this, no matter what the odds are.

so yes alan, game on, 2-0 united, or 3-1 etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Utd will win 4-2 and Mr. Alan will be going on that it's a worse result than 2-0 :)

Anyway, my prediction is that there will be less than a goal in it. If one team go 2 ahead, the other will at least get back in it with 10 mins to go (or so)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Rooney's due a goal methinks!

Bad news though: JOSH looks doubtful after picking up a groin injury against Roma! :eek: How the hell are we expected to win now?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! We're doomed without O' SHea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Alonso would be an absolutely huge boost for Liverpool. It means Rafa can play his 4-5-1 formation without any real risk. Lucas was questionable because of his lack of experience. Sissoko was questionable because he gives the ball away so much.
    Alonso can do a decent job defensively and can also keep the ball very well. This makes Liverpool a much more potent threat. I'm not as convinced about United winning easily if Alonso does play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

PHB wrote: »
    Alonso would be an absolutely huge boost for Liverpool. It means Rafa can play his 4-5-1 formation without any real risk. Lucas was questionable because of his lack of experience. Sissoko was questionable because he gives the ball away so much.
    Alonso can do a decent job defensively and can also keep the ball very well. This makes Liverpool a much more potent threat. I'm not as convinced about United winning easily if Alonso does play.

would be a bit of a risk throwing him into a big game straight after back to back injuries. but your right, if he was on for it would be a big boost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

would be a bit of a risk throwing him into a big game straight after back to back injuries. but your right, if he was on for it would be a big boost

I gave out about Xabi a lot in the last year cos I felt he was underperforming. And to be fair I think he was, but boy do we miss him when he's not there. I say risk him on Sunday. Win and we're right in the title race. lose and it will be very tough. Therefore I think it's worth the gamble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Too big a gamble to throw Xabi straight back in - he'd probably be hobbling off after 30mins leaving us all at sea and forcing a reshuffle. Can't see it happening, especially considering his general match fitness must be somewhere around the Jan Molby level at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

PiE wrote: »
    Can't see it happening, especially considering his general match fitness must be somewhere around the Jan Molby level at this stage.

yeah, but he wasn't half bad, was he? I'm sure if he does play, he'll be fit. I think his recurrence last time was just bad luck, and Rafa wouldn't take any risks with him. Love to see him playing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Champions versus the plucky underdog, men against boys, mayweather v hatton, class v crass..

call it what you want, but this current United side is leagues ahead of a poor liverpool team, with too many average players and not enough options to bring in..

If United win, meh, big deal, if liverpool win, it's the biggest game of their season, and a vital three points in their battle for the fourth champions league spot...

while I admire Benitez for sticking two fingers to the board, Dan Murray style, he's tactically clueless, doesn't know what his best 11 is, and is afraid to do what needs doing, mainly dropping Steven gerrard.

he's contributed nothing to Liverpool this season (if anyone says he was good against Marseille the other night i'll laugh), saunters around the pitch expecting the ball, doesn't fight to gain it, and most damningly of al,, runs off like a spoilt child when Liverpool aren't winning, with his "well it's not my fault we're losing, it's everyone else's" attitude he has. its a shame liverpool didn't cash in on him and send him to chelsea for stupid money, and use said money to bring in someone who will actually work for the team and not himself. I reckon he'd be on the bench at Chelsea

benitez has taken them from being the fourth best team in the league, to still being the fourth best team in the league but spent millions doing it..

there's too many amazingly average players in that team, crouch, kuyt, babel, hyppia, kewell, agger, finnan, who'd struggle to get a game with Sunderland, mixed in with some genuine class acts, such as alonso and torres (his goal against Marseille this week was superb).. however when you're surrounded by players as poor as that, it brings your own game down.. a move to a big club would see players of the calibre of alonso and torres turn into world beaters..

united, i feel, have yet to hit top gear yet, and that's no bad thing. While initially I thought the absence of Paul Scholes would be disastrous, they've barely missed him, thanks to the form of Hargreaves (who's the heir to Roy Keane in the United engine room), and Anderson, who had an iffy start but who has really come into his own.

And when you have a front four of Giggs, Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo, you can always be assured of goals. If United were to sign Anelka, a proven out and out goalscorer, to replace the injury prone Saha in Janurary, they'd be unstoppable.

While Sky would like to build this up as a titanic Premier League battle, with all the hype and guff that goes with a "grand slam sunday", it's anything but.. It's the champions taking on an average team that are punching above their weight, and will have little to no bearing on where the title ends up in may.

One thing's for sure, it won't be heading to Anfield..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I agree, Benitez should have been sold to Chelsea years ago. His pitch-sauntering is deplorable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Humour forum tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

that may be the most clueless post i have ever read, it's baseless tripe.

Roar wrote: »
    if liverpool win, it's the biggest game of their season, and a vital three points in their battle for the fourth champions league spot....

Biggest game of our season? its a massive game for both clubs, but the simple fact is, the majority of matching going reds, your beloved Utd are not the team that they wanna beat most each season. that title would fall to Everton. Shame the same cant be said for Utd, even their match going fans have a rather unhealthy obsession with Liverpool and trying to emulate our greatness.
    he's tactically clueless, doesn't know what his best 11 is, and is afraid to do what needs doing, mainly dropping Steven gerrard.he's contributed nothing to Liverpool this season.

Only 1/3 through the season and gerrard has 11 goals and 14 assists from 20 starts + 2 sub appearances. you really have made a fool out of yourself.
    benitez has taken them from being the fourth best team in the league, to still being the fourth best team in the league

Actually we finished third the last two seasons, ahead of arsenal. and the season before we were a point behind Utd.
    there's too many amazingly average players in that team, crouch, kuyt, babel, hyppia, kewell, agger, finnan, who'd struggle to get a game with Sunderland

Wex Brown, Saha, Giggs, Fletcher, O'Shea, Nani.

you really have made a clown of yourself with this post. good thing you dont post here too often, not sure how much of this tripe i could put up with on a regular basis.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

mainly dropping Steven gerrard.

he's contributed nothing to Liverpool this season (if anyone says he was good against Marseille the other night i'll laugh), saunters around the pitch expecting the ball, doesn't fight to gain it, and most damningly of al,, runs off like a spoilt child when Liverpool aren't winning, with his "well it's not my fault we're losing, it's everyone else's" attitude he has. its a shame liverpool didn't cash in on him and send him to chelsea for stupid money, and use said money to bring in someone who will actually work for the team and not himself. I reckon he'd be on the bench at Chelsea

Gerrard:
    11 goals in all competitions.
    6 assists in the PL
    dunno how many in CL

Ronaldo:
    14 in all competitions
    1 assist in the PL
    dunno how many in CL

i think they are both playing rather well, dont you? :)

love the anti-liverpool verbal diahorrea.
    see the balance everyone? for every unrealistic daydreaming liverpool fan there is at least 1 completely up their own arse Utd. fan. its the way nature intended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Biggest game of our season?

Of both clubs i would have thought.
    its a massive game for both clubs, but the simple fact is, the majority of matching going reds, your beloved Utd are not the team that they wanna beat most each season. that title would fall to Everton.

Sure it is, beating yore mersey rivals with mixed fans at both grounds compared to the team you hate the most.

Shame the same cant be said for Utd, even their match going fans have a rather unhealthy obsession with Liverpool and trying to emulate our greatness.

Yes Uniteds pitiful greatness fails in comparison.

:rolleyes:

16 times and counting.
    18 times and standing still.

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Champions versus the plucky underdog, men against boys, mayweather v hatton, class v crass..

call it what you want, but this current United side is leagues ahead of a poor liverpool team, with too many average players and not enough options to bring in..

If United win, meh, big deal, if liverpool win, it's the biggest game of their season, and a vital three points in their battle for the fourth champions league spot...

while I admire Benitez for sticking two fingers to the board, Dan Murray style, he's tactically clueless, doesn't know what his best 11 is, and is afraid to do what needs doing, mainly dropping Steven gerrard.

benitez has taken them from being the fourth best team in the league, to still being the fourth best team in the league but spent millions doing it..

there's too many amazingly average players in that team, crouch, kuyt, babel, hyppia, kewell, agger, finnan, who'd struggle to get a game with Sunderland, mixed in with some genuine class acts, such as alonso and torres (his goal against Marseille this week was superb).. however when you're surrounded by players as poor as that, it brings your own game down.. a move to a big club would see players of the calibre of alonso and torres turn into world beaters..

united, i feel, have yet to hit top gear yet, and that's no bad thing. While initially I thought the absence of Paul Scholes would be disastrous, they've barely missed him, thanks to the form of Hargreaves (who's the heir to Roy Keane in the United engine room), and Anderson, who had an iffy start but who has really come into his own.

And when you have a front four of Giggs, Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo, you can always be assured of goals. If United were to sign Anelka, a proven out and out goalscorer, to replace the injury prone Saha in Janurary, they'd be unstoppable.

While Sky would like to build this up as a titanic Premier League battle, with all the hype and guff that goes with a "grand slam sunday", it's anything but.. It's the champions taking on an average team that are punching above their weight, and will have little to no bearing on where the title ends up in may.

Troll.

d22ontour wrote: »
    Of both clubs i would have thought.

You wouldve thought wrong.

d22ontour wrote: »
    Yes Uniteds pitiful greatness fails in comparison.

Exactly, it does fail in comparison.

18 leagues and 5 European Cups.
    16 Leagues and 2 European Cups.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

ah shut up mr alan.
    u do nothing to up the image of liverpool in front of our biggest rivals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

May 2009 and 18 will never be used by Liverpool fans again unless they want to be equal to Man Utd ;)

Oh btw, did I forget to mention Man Utd fans have bigger dads than Liverpool fans dads?

• Advertisement

Jazzy wrote: »
    ah shut up mr alan.
    u do nothing to up the image of liverpool in front of our biggest rivals

wat ya mean? why would i want to "up" our image? I've lost ya:confused:

Please dont post again.
    Thanks.

Unearthly wrote: »
    May 2009 and 18 will never be used by Liverpool fans again unless they want to be equal to Man Utd ;)

Unearthly can you tell me what you see when you look into your crystal ball for May 2009?
    Ill be 28 is that what you are talking about?
    Is there going to be a party......did u get me something?
    DID I AGE GRACEFULLY !!!!!!???????!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

IrishMike wrote: »
    Unearthly can you tell me what you see when you look into your crystal ball for May 2009?
    Ill be 28 is that what you are talking about?
    Is there going to be a party......did u get me something?
    DID I AGE GRACEFULLY !!!!!!???????!!!!!!

IrishMike

You do not want to know, I don't like frightning people on here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

[...]

Are you an unfunny Éamon Dunphy?

• Advertisement
Advertisement