Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Man Utd - Sunday 16th December

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

PHB wrote: »

If Alonso plays there, it's a very effective formation. Liverpool will 'dominate' possession, not that they will create a huge amount with it, but they will maintain possession in non-threatening areas. It'll make the game really really tight, which is never good for United. Then they will hope for a bit of magic, probably from Torres and Gerrard.
    However this formation is extremely dependent on Alonso, if Sissoko or Lucas played there, I think we'd win easily enough.

I don't think its going to be easy, regardless of our formation. You beat us twice last season you cant say that either game was easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Tusky wrote: »
    I don't think its going to be easy, regardless of our formation. You beat us twice last season you cant say that either game was easy.

I think they beat us quite easily in the OT game:o

I hope it's a tough, tight game, a decent spectacle and I hope the Pool are flattered with a massive win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Hope good football prevails tomorrow, and that Man United and Arsenal give those other 2 a lesson in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

A win for United keeps City in fourth. Hmmmmm allegences....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

FAO: Liverpool fans

Only a few hours to go. Hope this gets ye fired up. :)

Regards,

Archimedes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There will be a sniper on top of the Kop in case of John O'Shea. :)

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Looking forward to this big time now,I am missing a night on the beer for this as I am on the first flight tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

mike65 wrote: »
    There will be a sniper on top of the Kop in case of John O'Shea. :)

Mike.

Quality.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

even if he doesn't get on the pitch... could ye take him out anyway....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Getting very excited now...

• Advertisement

besty wrote: »
    Getting very excited now...

Im considering going to bed early to shorten the wait for the start of the game! That clip of the O Shea goal is painful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

This is gona be incredible. The fact that I'm literally rushing against time to get home to see it I think will help with the rush :) I hope Alonso doesn't start tomorrow. Come on United :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

I think John O'Shea has Alex Ferguson syndrome when it comes to celebrating goals! :D

+1 for hoping Benitez doesn't decide to risk Alonso. Come on Rafa, a nice open game is what we want. Best league in the world and all that, you owe it to football! ;)

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Shame the same cant be said for Utd, even their match going fans have a rather unhealthy obsession with Liverpool and trying to emulate our greatness.
    Al u diss United at every opportunity, u cannot possibly talk about obsession.
    As well as spending more time in the united thread than most united fans. U dont spend that amount of time in the Arsenal or chelsea threads.....Personally i think both sets of fans are as obsessed as each other. Its called rivalry thats what happens.

Mr Alan wrote:
    Wex Brown, Saha, Giggs, Fletcher, O'Shea, Nani.

you really have made a clown of yourself with this post. good thing you dont post here too often, not sure how much of this tripe i could put up with on a regular basis.
    I actually dunno which is funnier, the fact that u tell him he made a fool of himself whilst discussing the merits of "Wex" brown;) or the fact that u mentioned Brown in this list at all considering he's been mostly havin a blinder of a season. And dont even get me started on Giggs, current form maybe but after all his years to put him in there is insulting.

Sorry Al, with the game tomorrow had to stop in for the craic! :DI know u have literally been waiting for this fixture and known the date december 16th off by heart since the day the fixtures came out (id bet my house it was the first fixture u looked for whether u admit it or not!!) so here it is!!!

predictions?

2-1 to united:eek:

Xavi6 wrote: »
    A win for United keeps City in fourth. Hmmmmm allegences....

Support whatever result suits your team best..... otherwise ur not a real fan!

PHB wrote: »
    This is gona be incredible. The fact that I'm literally rushing against time to get home to see it I think will help with the rush :) I hope Alonso doesn't start tomorrow. Come on United :)

Alonso has been in full training all week so its highly likely he will start. It was exactly the same situation before the Arsenal game if you remember ? Same injury, same amount of time out and he started....and got injured again.

I think its gonna be Alonso, Gerrard & Mascherano in the middle.

Argh, I fell asleep for a few minutes and the bloody cat woke me the b1tch... its still not tomorrow... :mad:

Archimedes wrote: »
    Argh, I fell asleep for a few minutes and the bloody cat woke me the b1tch... its still not tomorrow... :mad:

What are you talking about ? Its Sunday night, the game has been and gone.

Liverpool 1 - 0 Man utd.

92' O Shea (og)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

:p

It's like bein a kid on Christmas eve isn't it :D Try to get to bed early so it arrives sooner... but can't sleep... so try to stay up all night and catch Santie! :D

I'm debating whether or not to put on a bet... have a 10er in PP account that I wanna get rid of :D But don't wanna jinx us :( I'll go for the Pool to win :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

right. my final, post drink, largely biased, prediction is pool 1 - utd 0.

g'wan the pool!

thinking;
    reina
    finnan
    carra
    hypia
    arbeloa
    kewell
    masch
    alonso
    gerrard
    kuyt
    torres

bench;
    itanje, riise, babel, crouch, lucas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Tbh, I don't think there has been the same buzz, excitement or expectation surrounding a Pool vs United match for a long long time.

Another video to slowly kill you all from anxiety...

Im now off to simulate the match in Pro Evo....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Crisis!!

According to my incredible match just now on Pro Evo, it will end 3-3. Ronaldo with 2, and Saha with the other for United, Gerrard, Kuyt and for some reason, Finnan with one penalty scored and another missed for Liverpool. The referee will be Asian, and it will go to extra time which I kind of forgot to switch off before the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

According to my incredible match just now on Pro Evo, it will end 3-3. Ronaldo with 2, and Saha with the other for United, Gerrard, Kuyt and for some reason, Finnan with one penalty scored and another missed for Liverpool. The referee will be Asian, and it will go to extra time which I kind of forgot to switch off before the match.

Sounds like a classic, if it goes to pens we'll be certs.

I think there are two big variables, Rafas selection and Hyypia. You can't afford a clear weakness in a game like this and Sami could get caught for pace once or twice and that could be fatal. Rafa could also pick a bizarre line up (e.g. Masch and Sissoko, Voronin on the wing etc) and we'd find it tough going forward.

I'm hopeful of a 1-0 to the pool as I have a double on Chelsea and Pool both to win 1-0 today.

Anyway, really excited at this stage. I had to cancel taking my kids to a Christmas Party for this, they'll forgive me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

walshki wrote: »
    Anyway, really excited at this stage. I had to cancel taking my kids to a Christmas Party for this, they'll forgive me.

Your christmas gift to your kids will be a lifelong lesson in how to prioritise!
    Go on the pool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

.................Man United

Barthez

Neville--- Ferdinand -- Blanc --- Silvestre

Beckham -- Keane -- Veron
    Giggs

Scholes -- Van Nistelrooy

................ Liverpool

Dudek

Babel -- Henchoz --- Hyypia -- Carragher

Murphy -- Gerrard -- Hamann ---- Riise

Owen -- Heskey

1st Half

Goals:

1-0 Owen (5 mins)

(substitution: OFF: Michael Owen, ON: Bruno Cheyrou)

2-0 Cheyrou (33 mins) Re: Cheyrou substitution, John Motson said "a bit of magic from the manager there!"

2nd Half

Liverpool lined out as follows for the 2nd half:

Dudek

Babel -- Henchoz --- Hyypia ---- Heskey

Murphy -- Gerrard -- Hamman ---- Riise

Cheyrou -- Carragher

Man United unchanged.

Goals:

2-1 Scholes (48 mins)
    2-2 Veron (68 mins)
    3-2 Carragher (71 mins)
    3-3 Beckham (75 mins)
    4-3 Carragher (86 mins)
    5-3 Carragher (91 mins)

Carragher gets the hat-trick and the match ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Come on the pool!

Really praying Alonso is fit. My XI:

Reina

Arbeloa
    Carragher
    Hyypia
    Riise

Mascherano---Alonso/Lucas

Gerrard

Kuyt
    Kewell---

Torres

Fifa 2003, lol :p Anybody got fifa 97? The one with David Ginola on the front :D For a truely scientific prediction we need to simulate the game in every game, and on every platform!

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Fifa 2003, lol :p Anybody got fifa 97? The one with David Ginola on the front :D

Fifa 95 on the Megadrive pwns them all! Hold B + C together to punch the opposition player! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Fu€k Christmas

Happy Grand Slam Sunday everyone

An Citeog wrote: »
    Fifa 95 on the Megadrive pwns them all! Hold B + C together to punch the opposition player! :D
    Obviously Scholesy held B + C together in the last match, nearly gave Alonso a shiner :D

TEAM NEWS :

Utd : VDS, Brown, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra, Ronaldo, Giggs, Hargreaves, Anderson, Tevez, Rooney

Liverpool: Reina, Arebloa, Carragher, Hyypia, Riise, Kewell, Mascherano, Gerrard, Benayoun, Kuyt, Torres

Liverpool unchaged!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

2 strongest teams available imo

Maybe Crouch for Kuyt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Come On Utd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn it, no Sissoko....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

0-0

Yes, yes, yes! No Alonso! :)

Wtf, no Nani on the bench for United! :mad:

Wasn't expecting that!

Pool need big big games out of Mascherano, Gerrard and Benayoun.

No Finnan on the bench so must be having setbacks. Quite happy with the bench in general though, Itandje, Aurelio, Lucas, Babel, Crouch. A lot of game changers there. That Babel to get the last goal bet sounds like a good one!

Both Anderson and Hargreaves being starters is a blow though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool to win, the bench being the difference. Babel and Couch late on to apply the finishing touch.

Mie.

• Advertisement

Man Utd to win, the starting 11 being the difference.

On current form, I think these players have the edge over their utd counterparts. Anyone agree/disagree ?

x----Torres

Kewell---Mascherano--Gerrard---x

x
    x
    (too close)--Arbeloa

(too close)

Couldnt decide between Reina & VDS or Carragher & Vidic.

Anderson has been much better than Mascherano.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

mike65 wrote: »
    Liverpool to win, the bench being the difference. Babel and Couch late on to apply the finishing touch.

Mie.
    Are you forgetting that O'Shea is on the bench for us! ;)

I was comparing Mascherano to Hargreaves and Gerrard to Anderson.

Gerrard hasnt done a great deal more than Anderson either though..

Gerrard hasnt done a great deal more than Anderson either though..

Youre joking ? Hes got 11 goals and 10-14 assists! Hes been playing some of the best stuff of his career.

why would anderson and masch be compared? if wanna go down that route, then Torres is better then Brown.

Anderson's equivilent is Gerrard, Masch's is Hargreaves. For me, Pool win on both counts there, though with hargreaves and masch its much of a muchness, both very good.

Anderson has much cooler hair though.

• Advertisement

Archimedes wrote:
    Anderson has much cooler hair though.

yeah well gerrard has just got the dreamiest eyes!

*a new low for Pool V Utd*

Advertisement