Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Claim to lame

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Lamest claim to fame:

I know Regi and Devore from "before" boards.

From my days in a famous hotel in Dublin:

Let Bono in for after hours drinks, he said "Guggi will be round later, will you show him in?" I said "Certainly Sir". Hadn't a ****ing clue who guggi was. All the U2 crowd were well liked there though, nice genuine people.

Let Colin Farrell in for after hours drinks, then slacked off in the restaurant for the rest of the night with my porters. He stuck his head round the door looking for cigarettes. Nice bloke.

Let one of my lads have the night off so he could do a concert with Sinead O'Conner, then he brought her back to the hotel. Nice lady. Unfortunatly they sang Irish ballads in the lounge which was a sacking offence.

One of my lads was threatened by a drunk SF counciller (a serious, proper "SF can have you killed" threat too). He grinned at her and told her he worked with one of their TD's during the election. She went white and shut up quick. :)

Dealt with hundreds of office workers at all hours of the night. All self-important total **** with a massive superiority complex. Pathetic sad wastrels the lot of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

Saw Ronan Keating walking through the airport one day. He was trying to keep a low profile with shades and a cap on, that was until he walked into a woman and knocked a whole load of stuff out of her hands. Few seconds later he was surrounded by people:D

Also saw Steve Staunton recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

I met Paul mcgrath in a hotel bar at 12 in the afternoon once. had a pint with him, lovely guy, but he was hammered! Told loads of stories about his footballing heyday, donkey kicks and the like

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I also have to ask who he is?

Captain of the Meath All-Ireland winning football team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

pd101 wrote: »
    Saw Ronan Keating .

Bleh! See him all the time, always have to give a second glance, saw him walking with his wife one time, thought it was a 14yr old with his mother walking the dog! But no no, hes just small! :D

Forgot about Ronan Keating - played a doubles pool game against him and one of his mates in Renards. He didn't take kindly to losing (nothing to do with me, I'm crap, but my playing partner is sh*t hot).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭the magician

Brendan gleeson's brother was my maths teacher in secondary.(heard he gave up teaching to act as well , Haven't seen him in anything though.)

Got Stephen Roches autograph in the airport one day.

Danny glover got into the cab i got out of in new york one day.

Went to the same school as brian McFadden (a year behind), started a band with some friends and we practised in the school and all the aul ones on the parents commitee were real excited as westlife were just starting out(including his ma') kept comin' in to us practising and would say are you gona be the next westlife lads. :mad: god no!

Sat a seat behind Bob Geldof on a flight from manchester once.

Got presented with my national craft cert by Bertie in croke park.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

John Cleese made a mad stary face back at me through the window of a restaurant I was staring into in LA once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

My brother's friend's cousin knows Spiral from big brother

do I win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

phasers wrote: »
    My brother's friend's cousin knows Spiral from big brother

do I win?

a mate of mine pushed him off a wall a few years ago :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

a mate of mine pushed him off a wall a few years ago :D

Ding ding ding. We have a weeeeiiinnnerrrr!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

called the band director "emo" to their lead singers face, rightfully pissed off he was tried to convince me they werent, pfft :P ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭walt0r

Nearly ran over Dana in Galway one day. She's not the safest at crossing roads.

Had 2 pints with Des Bishop (he wasn't drinking though but his mate was). I bought him a diet coke and his mate a pint and he got me a round back. Sound guy.

My ex-gf scored Gordon D'Arcy (or he scored her, dunno which) in Krystle while we were on a break. I don't like him.

Scored an ex of Luke Wilson's in a Vegas nightclub. She said she was his ex so it must be true!! She certainly was hot enough to have been anyways.

Sat beside JP Mcmanus watching Clare/Limerick game a year ago during Summer in a London bar. He was drinking sparkling water and bought his daughter and friends a bottle of champers if I recall correctly. Quiet fella.

Told Jason Byrne he wasn't funny. Told Dave Mcsavage he was a legend. He was a **** though.

Bumped into a couple of z-list celebs in bars, Daithí Ó Sé, Paraic Breathnach, Pat Shortt, Niall Quinn, etc. Nothing major.

I have a few more but I can't think right now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I snogged Buffy (for real :) ) in both Fitzsimons (Templebar) and the V.I.P. area of 'The Kitchen' (Old nightclub in Templebar).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I served some guy from Fair City in the shop I worked in. I was also on the RTE broadcast for the 1996 telethon, so I met Blathnaid ni Chofaigh and some other z-listers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I chased Liam Gallagher down Francis street some years back, after Oasis' first Irish gig (in the Tivoli).. I was chasing him because he was signing my copy of Definitely Maybe while legging it away from a bunch of screaming girls..

Ah the old Tivoli gigs.. those were the days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I met Paul mcgrath in a hotel bar at 12 in the afternoon once. had a pint with him, lovely guy, but he was hammered! Told loads of stories about his footballing heyday, donkey kicks and the like
    I had a pint with him once too, someone asked him for an autograph which he agreed to but forgot what he was doing in the middle of it, and just stared at this lad standing beside him waiting for his scarf back

As for me, i've met the actual Tayto man when I was young, we beat the **** out of the ****er (he was wearing a big suit though so it's ok)

I wonder if there's any "famous" people that use Boards.ie without us knowing ...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I wonder if there's any "famous" people that use Boards.ie without us knowing ...

pat kenny?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭enda_4

Met Jack Charlton at the opening of the local Opel garage, the ole fella pushed us out in front of him and we ended up gettin a photo of me and my brother sitting on his lap. Was about 10 at the time.

Met Daniel O'Donnell in Giants Stadium in NY when Ireland played Norway, picture still hangs in the kitchen....:D

When going home from manchester met David Beckham and Eric Cantona in the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I stayed in the same hotel as Steve Davis, he was in the lobby when we were checking out, I wanted to get a photo with him but I couldn't pluck up the courage to ask him :(

I seen Brian Kennedy before, I think Ronan Keating could have been there too.

Don't know if this counts but when I was in New York Nicole Richie was signing books in Virgin Megastore, I didn't queue up or anything but I seen her and she really is TINY. When I was in Macy's they kept announcing that Ashanti was on x floor but I didn't bother going for a look at her.

Oh and I served John Leahy in Dunnes once...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Met Suede in Belfast and took part in a quiz against the band for some N. Ireland music programme.

Sang a line from Getting Better at a Shed 7 gig in Whelans a few years back.

Spilt a pint over Jimmy Corkhills onscreen druggy son from Brookside in Bruxelles and DIDN'T apologise. Pighead doesn't do Starstruck.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

we chanted "Jerry Ryan, your a w@nker!" at a football match.
    He was sitting a few rows down from us. great days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

walt0r wrote: »
    Nearly ran over Dana in Galway one day. She's not the safest at crossing roads.

She visited my school once and I almost knocked her down two flights of stairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

This sint really a clame to lame, more a cl;ame to... wait, I'm trying to think of something to rhyme with lame..... nevermind, anyway

I was kissed on the cheek by Kylie Minogue. when she was on the Pat Ruane presented Saturday morning TV show Scratch Saturday. She was a secret guest (except we were told who it was going to be during the break), then I saw her in reception and she kissed me and several other on the cheek. I think I was about 9 at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

Sinead O'Connor asked me for a light

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Ok I went to school with Caroline Morihan, Everyone hated her cause she wore a full face of make up to school everyday and swang her ass when she walked.

Met Bertie several times, once got a kiss off him,

Used to work in a dublin Pub where I got the pleasure of Meeting(serving) Colm Meany, Brian McFadden and Gerry Ryan. Once spilled a pot of Tea over Ollie Byrne the Chairman of Shelbourne in that Job!!

David O'Leary grew up around the corner from Me, I played football with him once. James Murphy substitute Ireland goal keeper grew up on that same road, Keith Duffy from Boyzone actually married his wife who is also from that same estate, Ronan Keatings ex girlfriend, (WHo shamefully did a kiss and tell on him) also lived in that same estate. And a lad out of that same estate is the father of mylene klass's baby ( he is actually keith duffys brother in law.)

Was in the vip in wrights of swords with the Irish football team My mate went home with Shay given, (The dirty fecker).

Saw Eamon Dunphy, Mariah Carey, All the IRish Rugby Team and Liam Neeson in Dublin Airport.

Was having dinner in the coolquay and Samantha Mumba happened to be there.

Was in Lillys while westlife was there. It was a time when Mark was in the closet and Louis had set him up with a girl for the night to keep his secret secret.

Drank out of the Sam!!

Met charles haughey, He was very small and frail.

I can not think of any more sad meetings....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Love the way 75% of replies in this thread have obviously not even read the OP and just want to get their own 0.0003 nanoseconds of reflected glory onto the internet for the billionth time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Adyx wrote: »
    She visited my school once and I almost knocked her down two flights of stairs.
    "almost"...unlucky that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Getting a flight out of Frankfurt and we were delayed for ages on the bus out to the plane. Eventually some tosser turned up whom I later found out was one of the guys that left Westlife, no idea which one or what his name is. He did have a cute chick with him. Can't believe they delayed the flight because of him, anyone else and it would have left! Feckin missed our slot as well so we were very late getting into Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Brendan Kilkenny once walked past me, dressed up in his usual garb. He dropped a tenner but I was too scared to tell him in case he would then become my friend.

My ultimate claime to lame is that I was on School Around the Corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

When i was about 11 /12 I hit Garret Fitzgerald (Taoiseach at the time) with an egg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Get In There

D.T. Jesus wrote: »
    And one time I was in the waiting room of my GP and Johnny Logan was sitting across from me.

Me too!! I think I must have been there!! The Dr in deerpark, ashbourne!!

My claim to lame is being behind Brian McFadden in a Q for a ryanair flight to Dublin from some UK airport!

And being in the plaza niteclub with the young one off fair city, she's not bad alrite!! and the ex Spurs hot prospect Mark Yaetes.. Leicester City/Colchester footballer (not sure). I was kinda hammered by then so I went up to him and told him how well he had been playing and that I hoped we wud see him in the senior national squad someday:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Me too!! I think I must have been there!! The Dr in deerpark, ashbourne!!

Haha, yeah that's the one! That's very weird :eek: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

I served Dermot Morgan in Burger King - twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

LouOB wrote: »
    I served Dermot Morgan in Burger King - twice.

IN Burger King MWA HAHA HA

YOu could have jut said you served...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Met Jim Norton in Extra vision in Monkstown. I asked him to kick me up the arse but he politely refused.

Jim norton is Bishop Brennan from Fr Ted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I once had my picture taken with the St.Bernard from Beethoven :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

my mates gf once dated jared leto.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

I was sitting down in Dublin airport arrivals lounge years ago and Fr. Damo walked past, stopped, came back and then sat down beside me, second greatest moment of my life...

the greatest was when Dwight Yorke asked me what time it was, yes the Dwight Yorke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I shook Dave Fannings hand at one of those Heineken student gig things in Maynooth 7 years ago , Relish were one of the bands I do believe and the Walls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Was over in Manchester a few years ago for a midday kick-off in Old Trafford, arrived early (about 9:00am) at Jurys to check in and who walks out of the lift in the lobby with two very attractive young ladies on his arm, them two in little black dresses and him in a tux with the obligatory bow tie hanging off his neck open........

Jimmy White, legend of legends.

Also met Nicky Chadwick off Brookside in The Chancery one morning out of her bracket, funny as fook!!

Hrududu wrote: »
    Brendan Kilkenny once walked past me, dressed up in his usual garb.

Who's Brendan Kilkenny? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

If the man spent more time ruling Iraq and less time firing guns into the air while llaughing and messing around on boards, maybe he'd still be president of Iraq.

And being in the plaza niteclub with the young one off fair city,

Which one?

A friend of my brother's worked in a classy Dublin nightclub and saw Michael Jordan, she said
    Her-"wow,your so tall, you must play basketball"
    MJ-"Yeah, sometimes"

She found out afterwards who he was and almost died of embaressment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Quality wrote: »
    Drank out of the Sam!!

Nicked the Sam out of Jack O' Connors car and hid it on him...
    he was drinking with us at the time so it wasn't really stealing, honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭uniquechic

was stopped once at the lucan roundabout and liam lawlor and his driver pulled up beside us..and liam was picking his nose!
    also saw christy from fairly ****ty in the lucan shopping cente.
    Met rick o shea (2fm dj) and that nuala one the does the weather at the ploughin champs this year...lol embarassment!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chiaki

ritchie kavanagh... from aon focail eile (the song) about 10yrs ago.... But also philomena lynott (phils lynott's ma) she was deadly! met her in dublin zoo with flowers in her hair! my mam worshipping at her feet for having produced such a gorgeous fella...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

I have the worst one ever: saw Fran Cosgrave eating in McDonald's at Dublin Airport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

went on the pis with shane mcgowan

Advertisement