Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Claim to lame

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

paul666 wrote: »
    went on the pis with shane mcgowan

Who hasn't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

Stephen wrote: »
    I met Jimmy White in a pub in Carlow a few years back when there was some charity snooker match on nearby. That's as famous as it gets with me :)

Played against him in that exhibition :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Who's Brendan Kilkenny?
    Oh how I envy you.

http://www.popwinners.co.uk/pop-idol/im-graphics/PIC-brendan.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I was in the birthplace of Daniel O'Donnell yesterday. It smelled.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Hrududu wrote: »

Him? Sure I used to see him almost every morning around Marlborough Street on my way to work a few years ago. Always looked like a complete tosser, or at the very least the worst dressed man in Dublin, but I never realised he was well known in any way. I'm guessing from the link to the picture that he was on Pop Idol, which I'm glad to say I've never seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭-Leelo-

Also I meet Jimmy Carr in a nite club he was trying his case with a young one the cheeky devel....fair play

Good old Jimmy, I love him.

God I have a few - was on the Toy Show when I was a kid and he smelled like **** (apparently the smell was moth balls, but to a 9 year old it smelled like ****) Met Liam Neeson & June Rodgers that night too, they were guests on the show or something.

Saw Cillian Murphy at Kilkenny train station but I was too shy to say anything to him.

Walked past Marty Whelan in town one day.

Always used to see that tosser who played Lorcan in Fair City in The Playhouse. My boyfriends friend once asked him for his autograph so he could wipe his arse with it.

My Mams cousin played the drummer in The Commitments, and is very distantly related to Sinead O Connor - lucky her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Best claim to Lame ever: a man in Galway goes up to random people and tells you how he met Rory Gallagher, if you've ever seen the Little Britain with the woman who says she was Molly Sugden's bridesmaid you'll have a good idea

Haha what a legend he is. He also goes around to any one with long hair and tells them they look like Rory Gallagher.

My claim to lame, when I was younger, I was with my Dad and younger brother in Tesco and Tommy Tiernan was going around with one of his kids. My younger brother (about 8 at the time) starts shouting 'Look Dad, it's your man from the TV, the lad who tells jokes' much to Tommy's embarressment.

Also was drinking in Neachtain's in Galway a few weeks back and Ryan Tubridy was in there having a pint. As was Des Bishop in the same pub a few days later.

Have also had a chat with forgotten Premiership footballers of the 90's such as Gary Mabbutt and Darren Peacock.

Also, the lamest ones I have is that my mother was once chatted up by Pete Briquette of the Boomtown Rats and My Dad shared a taxi with Christy from Fair City and also had a pint with Charlie Bird!

I was in the birthplace of Daniel O'Donnell yesterday. It smelled.

Impressively piss poor claim to fame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

that fella from winning streak to me to "Fu*k off" in isoldes tower...
    also had a can of the black stuff with arthur guinness at his grave tomb thing, was great...:rolleyes:

My dear old ma was on a bus back when she was a teenager and heading to the gael thuct.

She looked out the back and saw Trevor Sargent peddling after, seems he hated internal combustion even back then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

My father was in a film with David Bowie and Goldie. (everybody loves sunshine, if you're bothered to look it up)
    I've Keith Barrys mobile number.
    I've talked to President Mary Mcaleese about my car.

Wahey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

My father wired a house for a guy who used to be in Fair City. Victor I think was his real name. He was Harry Molloy's son in the soap. I think he still does those annoying voice overs on ads from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Was out walking in LA and Eva Mendes jogged by (and she was just out of rehab - but then who isn't in LA?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Met Nikki Hayes and a college ball and ended up back in her room drinkin vodka!!..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

I got Gerry Ryan a Taxi when i was operating a desk in an airport. made him wait his turn too like 5 people in line. Barely even Blinked when he came up with his odd lookin wife. After waiting 20 he nodded and said thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I shouldered Gerry Ryan in town once cos him and his friend insisted on taking up the whole path and I wasn't giving in to him, the feckin diva :D

I saw Mary Lou McDonald in a hotel in Enfield on Sunday.

My brother's girlfriend's sister's (sounds made up but actually true) going out with a certain comedian from the panel.

I once played a celebrity bowling tournament with the short camp fella who used to play the piano on the lyrics board. Ray Shah+Ronan Collins were also there plus half the cast of fair city. Lyrics board guy can't bowl for sh1t.

I shook hands and spoke with Maria Shriver (this story will eventually be embellished to "I chatted up Arnie's burd and had to put the beat down on him when he got jealous) and Eunice Kennedy Shriver during the Special Olympics.

I once had that fella Danann off MTV's mobile phone number.

I worked with Hazel Kaenswaren's brother.

My dad had a pint with Gabriel Byrne's brother and the man himself popped in not long after. Wish I was there although I wouldn't have been able to drink much at age 12. :(

Mondo off fair city used to drop his kid into the place where I worked regularly. I see him more in real life than on telly. People always have to point him out to me cos I wouldn't know him from the next D lister.

Jackie Chan came into my old job on my day off once. Mighty pissed off I missed that one. Grrr

I think I've seen every member of the cabinet except O'Keefe in real life. Saw Charlie McCreevy a few years back eating in the coffee mill in Maynooth.

My dad did laps around Mondello with Eddie Irvine years ago testing out the new Toyota Supra. That was probably 10/12 years ago. Should have photos and a signed cap somewhere.

After Coldin Farrdel had made it but before he became a real superstar he used to go to UCI cinema in Blanch and ask at the ticket office if there were any films with him in it.

Ronan Keeshing - lame

I've served Steve Collins and Brendan O'Carroll in work.

Met Eddie Hobbs and worked with his brother - pretty lame.

Half the Irish rugby+soccer squads.

That's enough lame celebrity connections for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Met Leighton Hewitt and Kim Clijsters in a restaurant in Belgium.

Ronan Keating walked past my house during his sh*tty walking tour of Ireland.

Chatted to Brendan Grace for a couple of minutes in the Gleneagle Hotel in Killarney.

Saw Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon at a music festival in the summer.

Had tea and biscuits with my classmates and Mary McAleese at Aras an Uachtarain (sp?) a few years ago.

Got Eric Cantona to sign my Man Utd jersey when I was a wee lad.

Thats about it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭reregholdsworth

Richard Littlejohn was in town the evening the smoking ban was introduced. I had seen him on telly harping on about the quaint backward ways of the Irish and then I saw him again on the street when I was heading out for a pint. I let him know what I thought of him. Turns out he has a criminal conviction for assault and affray outside a nightclub in England.

I saw Damien Duff in the Pav in Trinity and thought he's taller than he looks on the telly. I did not say that to him though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

javaboy wrote: »
    My brother's girlfriend's sister's (sounds made up but actually true) going out with a certain comedian from the panel.

There's a comedian on the panel? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

There's a comedian on the panel? :pac:

:D It's all we've got for comedy in this country. Be grateful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

few crappy ones...

met jeff martin 3 times, got several hugs from him (was quite drunk the first time), and had a chat with him the last time, got signatures from feeder, met the walls, a few small irish bands/musicians - mundy, i think, declan o rourke.

related to ciaran mcdonald (mayo gaa player), and my nana swears that we're related to damien duff (dont ask me cos i have no idea). she also met daniel o donnel's brother/sister in law (cant remember now), when she was in hospital. they asked her if she'd like to listen to some music, she said oh, she'd like that, then they asked if she'd like to listen to some daniel o donnel, and she said 'oh god no, not that cabbage soup!'. found out later twas the relly, and apparently teh relly is a massive fan of himself... ah well.

my boyfriend has gotten drunk and played pool with (and beat) billy corgan and the guitarist from smashing pumpkins (talked to the keyboardist about two weeks before he died, really sad apparently, he'd just had a kid, about the same age as my boyfriend's kid), met korn (who apparently went off with two of the skankiest hos you could meet around here), and stole booze off them (while gettin drunk with them), met and drank with savage garden. they're the most memorable for him, he used to work on lots of gigs... bumped into angus young (my b/f is quite tall, angus, is not), bob dylan, janet jackson, eagles, tool, u2, neil diamond, nofx. talked to jello biafra of the dead kennedys. tina turner the night before the roof fell down, apparently, she was quite good, though the music itself is ****...

we have a signed thing from mark gardner, formerly of ride, to my fella, with a little note on it too, after his best mate's band toured with his solo project. aforementioned mate is also good mates with the wolfmother lead singer (dammit! he was just over here for a week and everything, i completely forgot about that!).

so lolz, yep, lots of lame claims here, but did generate some interesting conversation as i typed.

apparently bob dylan was a bit of a twat, and the roadies were supposed to duck out of general view when he was going from dressing room to stage and back again... he was really small as well, apparently.

oh, and my best mate's brother issued andrea corr with her driving licence (or something like that), i think she forgot something she had to have, and he told her to come back and ask for him, and he'd sort it for her...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Sold Shane Horgan runners in Footlocker. Very sound bloke and had no problems giving me his autograph for my girlfriend's little brother.

Sold Keith Duffy and family runners in Footlocker. His wife is such a MILF.

Bumped into Brazilian players Cafu and Serginho in a shopping centre in Chicago. They hadn't a word of English but we managed to bully them into a photo.

Shared a pint with three members of Embrace after their gig in Chicago. Singer was a tool and didn't join us.

My best mate is now an RTE presenter.

Couple of even shittier ones not worth mentioning i.e. knowing some intercounty players etc but who doesn't know one of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Ah crap i never see anyone famous, i think it's cause I walk with me head down all the time! :(

Once had a good chat with Jason Strollmeister from the Von Bondies and Jack White from the White Stripes while we were all watching the Dirtbombs in Dublin castle. (they were still friends at the time!). My friend, who always takes the piss out of any situation, asked them if they personally knew Emimen (he's from detroit too), and they just gave him a dirty look and blanked him.

Once played air bass with Gerry Mc Evoy at the Rory Gallagher festival in Ballyshannon while Sinnerboy were playin Bullfrog Blues. It was during the bit where Gerry would have done his bass solo! He was one of the soundest people ever, told the barman to make sure he served me as the bar was mobbed.

I was once on the late late toy show singing in a choir. we sang 'the cuckoo song' and ended the show with 'santa claus is coming to town'.

Anyone remember that band 'dove'? they were fairly sh1te, and they done some crowded house cover, think it was that 'hey now' song or whatever. I once saw the girl with the dyed red hair from that band in a bar on dame street, she still had red hair. Wow that's a lame claim to fame...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Last night, I saw Jimmy from fair city. He was in my school presenting the annual talent show...During the end, someone shouted "You can't bleedin' act!"

The crowd was in stitches :D

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Dlite

I sang at a function a few years ago with a 70's funk band. I was dressed kind of like a seventies hooker with an afro. Hugh Grant was there, I drunkenly asked him over the mike if he thought I looked "divine" tonight. He laughed along with the rest of the crowd but Collin Firth told me later he didn't find it funny, I told him the same about his acting in all of his films. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I've met Ray D'arcy and Mary Hanaffin!:)
    But my worst claim to fame is that I'm friends on Bebo with someone who's friends with Wesley Quirke and Rosanna Davison!:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Glenda Gilson did a sexy dance for me in a pub in town.

Also, im related to dead comedian Dave Allen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

A few years ago while working in a grocery store in Dublin, some lad came up to me and asked if he could leave the price of two litres of milk with me as he was in a hurry to catch a plane. I refused and then copped it was some lad from Dreamteam (footy program on sky for those that aren't familiar). Think his name was Billy in it. I was a prick when I worked there. :pac:

Served Miley from Glenroe also. I was so star struck I can't remember what he bought.

Supported Echo and the Bunnymen at Bud Rising a few years ago. Saw the singer afterwards and offered to buy him a drink. When I came back with it, he had legged it. Cúnt. :P

Was in a song contest a few years ago in Vicar street. Gerry Ryan was the MC, and he got my name wrong. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Best claim to Lame ever: a man in Galway goes up to random people and tells you how he met Rory Gallagher, if you've ever seen the Little Britain with the woman who says she was Molly Sugden's bridesmaid you'll have a good idea

Ah yes, ive encountered that chap a couple times. He also fed me a story about how he beat Alex Higgins in a game of snooker or something... (although that may have been some other galway character :confused: )

I met jack charlton when I was a kid and got his autograph. He was a friend of my grandfather and they went fishing on the corrib every year.

Eddie Irvine showed up at my grandfathers 90th bday, another fishing friend I believe. I wasnt talking to him but my sisters were and they said he was a bit of prat.

I served Hector last october, nice chap.
    I also served Duncan Bannatyne (dragons den), which was quite funny, He was buying a Nintendo DS for his kid and he was trying to haggle the price down

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Shook Berties' hand. Ooohh yea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Hugh Laurie chuckled at me learning to ride a bike apparently.

Also I used to live in the house in 'Spaced'.

And another house I lived in is visible in Monty Python's 'And now for something completely different'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I kissed Frank Carson's grandson.

Damien Duff spilled my pint and I called him a prick.

Jonathon Rhys-Myers pulled the "do you know who I am line" while trying to get me to reduce the price on a second hand jumper in a vintage clothes shop in Temple Bar.

Frank and Harry from Fair City tried to buy my copy of The Green Mile by Stephen King in the same vintage shop. I declined as I hadn't finished it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I saw the guy who play Ali G on TV, on TV in that film Borat.

I win, thank you very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

If you're aware of a beverage languishing under the unfortunate moniker of 'Pussy' then this'll make sense.

As I walked out of the Donnybrook Fair on Baggot Street with two of my friends, one of whom had just purchased a can of the aforementioned beverage he let loose a witticism loudly and publicly drawing attention to his newly purchased drink.

The passer by who heard happened to be actor Gabriel Byrne, so I had the pleasure, a long with the other friend of informing our friend of what a stupid w*nker he was in front of Gabriel Byrne. Great end to a day. :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I've gone to a party in the house of the ex-mayor of Galway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement