Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are laminates suitable for kitchens?

Options
  • 09-12-2007 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Has anyone got experience of getting wood laminate in a kitchen, and is it OK, or will it be wrecked by minor spills and splashes?

I've seen other posts on here that say laminates aren't suitable for kitchens, but I've also heard of people getting them.

Companies like Doors&Floors and B&Q sell laminate that they say is "water resistant", but it seems fairly pricey to buy and then get installed (however easy it is I'm not risking doing it myself). Other companies (like Des Kelly Interiors and Noyek Newmans) have cheaper purchase and fitting deals but they say there is no such thing as "water resistant" laminate.

So I'm left thoroughly confused about whether I should pay the extra to get a water resistant finish, or whether the cheaper laminate would be suitable?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭windsurfer99ie

I have laid several laminate floors, (I let out a house to tennants) and I always use the better quality stuff. I am just an average DIYer, but I have always found the "loc" products sold by B&Q easy to use (e.g. Bevelloc and Toughloc). I have not yet done a kitchen or bathroom but will definitely use the water-resistant stuff (aqualoc?)when I do.
    If you have a jigsaw (less than Eur20) and the floor is reasonably flat then it is a quick and easy job to do. An average DIYer can do it in a day. Can you get a family member to help you / do it for you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,101 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I've put B&Q Aqualoc down in a bedroom, it will be a kids' bedroom in a few years (No.1 due in the new year) and... well let's just say that liquid spills of one sort or another will be inevitable! We will still have to be careful not to let liquids sit on the floor, but it will be more resistant than the cheap rubbish that was there when we moved in 12 months ago. Also the Aqaloc is 10mm which I think is better and takes up slight irregularities in the sub-floor better.

For proper wet areas (bathrooms or kitchens) you HAVE to use sealant between each panel, and around any fixtures or fittings. I'm still not sure if I'd use laminate in a kitchen, if the back door opens directly into the kitchen there will inevitably be dirt/grit and scratches. We have tiles now and will be going for tiles again when the kitchen is done up. Laminate is a possibility in the front hall, but there is a porch.

B&Q do a good DVD for a couple of euro which takes you through fitting laminates and engineered wood floors, including the use of sealant. Worth watching before you make your buying/fitting decisions.

Edit: definitely get a jigsaw (any cheap one will do) and a Workmate, or similar. You can cut it with a handsaw but it is quicker, easier and more accurate with a jigsaw. Measure twice, cut once :) Do some practice cuts in the waste area until you are happy you can control the jigsaw accurately, if you haven't used one before. Get the proper wedges, trying to make do with bits of wood is a nightmare. Get kneepads too. Use laminate blads on the jigsaw (teeth are reversed compared to normal woodworking blades, so you can cut on the face side and get a clean cut.)

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 25 josephiny

Thanks for your advice I'm defo feeling inspired!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Just one thinng re kitchens..i had a washing machine leak because of a blocked filter and the water got underneath the laminate and ruined it.If i'd taken it up straight away and dried it it might've been okay but as it turned out i had to throw the whole lot out.

Advertisement