Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sir Bobby Robson - BBC Liftime achivement award

• 09-12-2007 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭

Well as the title says, fair play to Sir Bob. The man having battled sickness over the past year its great to see him up there accepting an award for his work. A truly great bloke all round , a gentleman and a pure legend.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yeah just saw it there. Top man.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

A true gentleman, met him in a cardiff hotel few years ago FA Cup Final weekend, posed for photos and signed autographs for ages.

Well done Sir Bobby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can't argue with that.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Firstly, fair play. He spoke very well in acceptance. Nice touch, very moving.

I thought that SAF giving the BBC award to Robson was unreal, considering the utter contempt he normally has for the BBC, i.e. no post match interviews, rift with Alan Green etc.

Has the relationship healed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Trust DMC to bring a media studies angle to the party! :D

No I don't think its changed (Michael Crick is lurking behind every pot plant in BBC Centre).

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Well deserved award, but I was shocked to see how much trouble he had walking to and from the stage. I knew he'd been ill, but I didn't realise how serious it must have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Didn't see it but he is more than deserving .

Legend .

zaph wrote: »
    Well deserved award, but I was shocked to see how much trouble he had walking to and from the stage. I knew he'd been ill, but I didn't realise how serious it must have been.

Yeah, was thinking that myself, didnt think he was in that bad a shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Big Ears wrote: »
    Didn't see it but he is more than deserving .

Legend .

Thankfully the last disaster he was involved in wasnt mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

well done sir bob.
    a true gentleman and a legend in his own right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Why wasnt Stan on stage clapping with the rest of the lads :confused:

Oh hold on...You Tell Me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Sizzler wrote: »
    Why wasnt Stan on stage clapping with the rest of the lads :confused:

Oh hold on...You Tell Me.

He's not British?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

He's not British?

Does he have to be :confused:

The stage was made up of players and staff he worked with down the years, just so happens a lot of them happened to be English, understandable given he was English manager!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

Well done Sir Bobby. Thoroughly deserved.

Sizzler wrote: »
    Does he have to be :confused:

The stage was made up of players and staff he worked with down the years, just so happens a lot of them happened to be English, understandable given he was English manager!

Probably not, but the Ireland job wasn't exactly his finest hour and I think most of thse there would have been invited regardless of the award going to Sir Bobby

Probably not, but the Ireland job wasn't exactly his finest hour and I think most of thse there would have been invited regardless of the award going to Sir Bobby

Agreed, like it or not, his involvement in Team Staunton is a major blot on his otherwise almost flawless record.

Why dredge it up when you are celebrating the guys successes?

Why refer to him as Sir on an Irish forum by the way? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

People refer to SAF the whole time.

And what about Sir Bono, Sir Bob Geldof.

Also, there aren't really any borders on the internet.

DesF wrote: »
    People refer to SAF the whole time.

And what about Sir Bono, Sir Bob Geldof.

Also, there aren't really any borders on the internet.

I don't think Bono got the gong to be called sir in the first place and deffo never heard him referred to as it.

I have never seen Alex Ferguson called sir on any other Irish net forum. interesting that he is here.

no reason, other than why not?

Sir Bobby was easier to write than Bobby Robson I suppose :)

(BTW, Bono and Bob aren't Sirs, their Knighthoods are honoury so they only get the acclaim, not the title. If Ireland joined the commonwealth on the other hand.......lets not go there eh!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Why not :confused::confused:

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Why not :confused::confused:

Because generally honorifics like that are not used outside the nation they are granted in.

In Ireland is Legion D'Honneur member Sarkozy referred to as Grand Master Sarkozy as he should? Why do we use the British titles and not the French?

There's an old saying about Mountains and mole hills that spring to mind. :)

Because generally honorifics like that are not used outside the nation they are granted in.

In Ireland is Legion D'Honneur member Sarkozy referred to as Grand Master Sarkozy as he should? Why do we use the British titles and not the French?

MEh. American presidents present and past are referred to in Irish press as "President (Clinton etc)". They were never our president.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Agreed, like it or not, his involvement in Team Staunton is a major blot on his otherwise almost flawless record.

Why dredge it up when you are celebrating the guys successes?

Why refer to him as Sir on an Irish forum by the way?

Get over yourself ffs.

This thread was talking about Sir Bob <-- yes Sir, and what a well deserved award it is.

Willstev wrote: »
    Get over yourself ffs.

This thread was talking about Sir Bob <-- yes Sir, and what a well deserved award it is.

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Huh.

Crossed wires methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Haha Stekelly , I dont know what happened there, that post isnt even on this page.

An ol edit did the job.

Willstev wrote: »
    Haha Stekelly , I dont know what happened there, that post isnt even on this page.

An ol edit did the job.

Yeah, I was looking up and down the page trying to figure out what was goign on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I remember reading that in 12 years at Ipswich he bought only 13 players borught the rest up through the youth ranks

Advertisement