Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garth Crooks

• 09-12-2007 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭

How does this guy get work? He has to be one of, if the most annoying commentators around. :mad:

Had to turn MOTD2 off as he annoys me so much!!! Argghh!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I agree ... ive no idea how good a player he was, but his commentary and analysis is terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Yeah he is kinda annoying and was it just me or was he calling Chimbonda, Chimponda?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

BFassassin wrote: »
    Yeah he is kinda annoying and was it just me or was he calling Chimbonda, Chimponda?

Its not just you.

Contrast with Peacock is illuminating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Garth Crooks once asked Sven a question that was longer and containing more sentences than War and Peace.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070814014058AAjdhHz

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

lol, he is a bit annoying alright....

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭enda_4

I hate the way he kinda half whispers like hes doing a documentary! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

He's got a lot of Tony Blair hand movemments going on when he talks tonight too. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Glad I'm not the only one. The way he talks when he's doing commentary is like he's doing a war report or interviewing someone for the Southbank Show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I just saw MOTD2 too and I don't see anything wrong with him. I thought his analyses (the ones I listened to) were all correct. I enjoy watching games that he commentates on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Dont watch the BBC much anymore, but when I do, I am seldom impressed with their pundits. I think they lost me after Ian Wright and Peter Schmeichel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

he is damn annoying alright.
    him & jim beglin combined on one match would ruin football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

His team of the week has Beye for Arsenal

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/9656/beyetr7.png

and the brilliant Joey Barton quote

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o247/V2VXR/Barton.jpg

Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Jazzy wrote: »
    he is damn annoying alright.
    him & jim beglin combined on one match would ruin football

I actually like Jim Beglin, I think he's one of the best pundits around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

anyone else think he looks like yoda or is that just me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Smegball wrote: »
    I actually like Jim Beglin, I think he's one of the best pundits around.

maybe if your a liverpool supporter who likes hearing about how good they were when he was playing

I remember he started giving out about Zidane one day as he wasn't up to Jim's standards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

He was only on last night as the beeb were desperate for pundits as the sports personality of the year was on earlier, he obviously wasnt asked :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

He has to be one of the worst. His questions are useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Dunphy's greatest ever moment was after one of England's world cup matches in 06. England had played terrible and Crooks interviewed Eriksson after the match and completely sucked up to him. When it cut back to the studio Dunphy says "Ha, that's the first time you've seen sex between two men live on the BBC".

Absolutely classic. Crooks is a tool. Just look at his team of the week on the BBC website every Sunday/Monday. He hasn't a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

The real crime was the lack of Adrian Chiles on MOTD2. Gabbys alright but she is no CHiles. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

If sky keep putting on Redknapp, don't see why BBC should dump crooks. Crooks is bad, Redkanpps a 100 times worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

The Joey Barton quote is a classic alright!

I dont think he's that bad at all actually, he strikes me as a bit of an eccentric and some of his insights can be very good. I'd take him over Lawrenson every day for commentary anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Let's not argue over which Sky/BBC pundit is worse - fact is they are all awful! BBC's lack of adds make it all the more unbearable - there's no break from it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Crooks is woeful, had me cringing last night with his hand movements and Chimponda nonsense. Oh, and the fact he was talking a lot of gibberish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

he's annoyingly dramatic too, for no good reason!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

If sky keep putting on Redknapp, don't see why BBC should dump crooks. Crooks is bad, Redkanpps a 100 times worse.

ditto. i still cant understand why redknapp is still at Sky. I'd prefer trying to decode Peter Beardsley's analysis that listen to that tool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

The real crime was the lack of Adrian Chiles on MOTD2. Gabbys alright but she is no CHiles. ;)

Adrian Chiles is tops imo. I reckon move him into Linekers slot and the lovely Gabby can do MOTD2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Crooks thinks hes a brilliant pundit but hes damn annoying.
    I reckon Chiles is great on MOTD2 and I think Jim beglin is one of the best commentators.

But has anyone heard that woman commentator they use on MOTD? She just sounds wrong. Ear piercing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

BBC used to be the benchmark for footballing punditry,now its a farce.
    That guy Crooks is an imbacile.
    He also seems to have put on about 2 stone in the last few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Roar wrote: »
    anyone else think he looks like yoda or is that just me?

:eek::eek::eek:

I dont remember Garth as a player but I think he's a good pundit, a lot better than the likes of Lawerenson, Wright and Schmeichel.

I'm also in agreement with those that think Jim Beglin is a good pundit too, I like when he's doing co-comentary on matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

joe123 wrote: »
    But has anyone heard that woman commentator they use on MOTD? She just sounds wrong. Ear piercing...

:D sounds like a 12 year old school boy .

Here she is though.

http://www.awimb.com/fudforum/index.php?t=tree&th=264855&mid=1733028&rid=2875&S=4a79d984e060220e942fdc992d099e56&rev=&reveal=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

The worst thing about Crooks is how smug he is and it seems like he is in love with himself, the face he makes after he says something looks like he is really satisfied with the smell of his own farts. I really cant stand him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

I don't mind Garth-he's harmless
    What about Graeme Le Saux though. You can see he spends a lot of time doing his 'homework' to plan for his dull-as-hell analysis. Turns it into a school lesson. He makes me lose all interest in football, briefly.
    I find Wobbie Earle amusing, he talks like a caucasian from Birmingham. Was he raised by caucasians maybe?

Advertisement