Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Song!

• 10-12-2007 12:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭

Would anyone be interested in writing bits of a song and posting them up here?

I guess there could be some guidelines, like no more than four bars or somesuch...

I realise without proper notation, tab would be open for interpretation regarding timing and dynamics etc...
    Also, I'm playing bass, but changing note position shouldn't be too much hassle.

It'd be like the add three words game
    ( http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=295910 ), only music.

G|
    |
    D|
    5\-|
    A|
    7-5
    7-5
    |
    E|---0-0
    7---0
    |

All the best.
    AD.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

18AD wrote: »
    Would anyone be interested in writing bits of a song and posting them up here?

I guess there could be some guidelines, like no more than four bars or somesuch...

I realise without proper notation, tab would be open for interpretation regarding timing and dynamics etc...
    Also, I'm playing bass, but changing note position shouldn't be too much hassle.

It'd be like the add three words game
    ( http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=295910 ), only music.

G|
    |
    D|
    5\-|
    A|
    7-5
    7-5
    |
    E|---0-0
    7---0
    |

All the best.
    AD.

nice idea but it'd be hard to work...

need to at least include information in timing. What might work better is if people post an MP3 of their playing... hell maybe we could take the same backing track and just keep layering/remixing it or something, that could get interesting.

but stuff like this has been proposed before, and shot down over the whole copyright/steal ideas thing afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Well I thought I'd leave the timing open to interpretation so everyone would have a different idea of how the song feels. So hopefully no one would be copying eachother exactly.

Ah well, if it's not viable then it's not viable. :p

All the best.
    AD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Lol your easily dissuaded 18AD aren't ye? I think it's a great idea, would be fun to see how it turned out. Out of curiosity leninbenjamin what was the "whole copyright/steal ideas thing", surely people wearn't arguing over who would own the rights to the song once it went triple platinum? Because that would just make baby jesus cry.

Maybe keep this thread going for a couple of weeks and use it to work out how the whole idea would work. Anyone thats interested decide all the particulars of how to do it, regarding timing, people writing for different instruments, arrangment ect. Worth a discussion in anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

slipss wrote: »
    Lol your easily dissuaded 18AD aren't ye? I think it's a great idea, would be fun to see how it turned out. Out of curiosity leninbenjamin what was the "whole copyright/steal ideas thing", surely people wearn't arguing over who would own the rights to the song once it went triple platinum? Because that would just make baby jesus cry.

Maybe keep this thread going for a couple of weeks and use it to work out how the whole idea would work. Anyone thats interested decide all the particulars of how to do it, regarding timing, people writing for different instruments, arrangment ect. Worth a discussion in anyways.

Easily dissuaded indeed! :)

I was just hoping to bounce some musical ideas around.
    So for instance, the tab I posted...someone would post another tab that continues on from that. Preferably stuff they made up! Just to bounce some musical ideas around.
    For personal use the timing can be totally up to yourself.
    People could add chords or harmonies to existing pieces already posted to create unusual sounds, whatever you please really. Bits can be mixed and matched etc...
    If we were to actually record it/mix it then we could settle on something.

Good luck.
    AD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I meant to reply to this thread over the weekend but one of the worst Vodka-induced hangovers of my life prevented me from doing anything :o.
    Anyway, here's my little attempt at doing something with the tab. I have taken a couple of liberties with what was originally posted. Firstly I've removed the last G with the slide as I didn't like it. Secondly I've put the key signature as 9/4 and tempo as 170 just for a bouncy feel. The tab is below:
    I used Guitar Pro for this. The Q's are Quarter Notes and the E's are Eighth Notes. The first part is played twice and the second part is played four times.

Original Part
    [PHP]
    Q E E E E Q Q Q E E E E E E
    G||
    ||
    D||*
    *||
    A||*
    7--5
    7--5
    *||
    E||---0----0--0