Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chances of passing Exam

Options
  • 10-12-2007 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

One of my modules is 40% continuous assessment and 60% exam. I achieved most of my marks for the continuous assesment, so thats those marks in the bag.
    But basically, im f***** for the exam. If i do terribly in the exam, but still obtain at least 10% of the marks for it, Will i still manage to get an overall pass?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭redcar

Well if you have most of the marks for the CA, you must have some knowledge in there somewhere. You just have to have some faith my man... or woman...

Sure at worst you could pass by compensation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

If you do terribly in the exam portion but get an overall passing grade, it's at the module coordinator's discretion to fail you or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

No it isn't. You can fail any part of a module as long as you passs overall.

Mmm although does that depend of the subject? Last year one module we had to pass both the CA and the exam to pass overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

I asked my lecturer afew weeks ago and she said no.I hope its the case as i did **** in my continous assesments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Depends on the subject I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

I'm still confused as to whether or not this is the case for History, anyone know?

Does anyone know if this is the case for 2nd year financial accounting and 2nd year economics?

As far as I know with Accounting you just have to get an overall pass... unless she lied to us!

redcar wrote: »
    As far as I know with Accounting you just have to get an overall pass... unless she lied to us!
    Are you sitting 2nd year accounting exam on saturday.What course are you in?

• Advertisement

Unfortunatly! :(

Doing Commerce. What about you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭t_ucd

Since when? I was away on ERASMUS last year but in 2nd year we had to get at least 35% in the written exam to pass the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Depends on the course - all my courses you just have to pass overall - in saying that you can't actually pass the course without passing the end exams but you don't have to pass the continuous assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

t_ucd wrote: »
    Since when? I was away on ERASMUS last year but in 2nd year we had to get at least 35% in the written exam to pass the course.

35% isn't a pass

In engineering I'm pretty sure that you can fail your continuous assessment or your overall exam as long as you don't fail over all. They also drag you back to finish labs if you didn't pass them though

I've gone into loads of exams thinking "I only need to scrape 20% in this exam to pass. Its sweet... well not now cos it all counts but you know like before

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

In Commerce since ive been here you have had to pass both elements, one year it meant i was failing or getting 63% which is a lil ridic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

How do they let you know? If you log in and get your results and you've passed overall do you get an email from the course co-ordinator saying you failed the exam, all is not what it seems?

Crap, I have failed my continous assesment so does that mean i have failed the overall exam :(

gubbie wrote: »
    35% isn't a pass

35% overall isn't enough to pass you, no - you need 40%. But we were allowed get 35% in the written paper as long as we had enough CA marks to bring us up to 40% overall.
    drdre wrote: »
    Crap, I have failed my continous assesment so does that mean i have failed the overall exam :(

No, I'm almost sure that it's just the written paper that has a minimum pass mark - I don't think it matters if you fail CA and pass the written paper and get 40% overall between the two.

No, I'm almost sure that it's just the written paper that has a minimum pass mark - I don't think it matters if you fail CA and pass the written paper and get 40% overall between the two.

Hope you are right, Now im abit happier as my exams in the morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

It depends on the module, and even then Ive known module coordinators to bend the rule when approached.

• Advertisement

Hope you are right, Now im abit happier as my exams in the morning :)

Good luck!

Good luck!

Thanks i actually need it :)

You're a repeating traditional student, I thought.
    You dont have any CA, you will be marked entirely on your resit exam. And there is no Cap for you.

You're a repeating traditional student, I thought.
    You dont have any CA, you will be marked entirely on your resit exam. And there is no Cap for you.

Yep im both traditional and modular :)
    I have economics and accounting left from year 2 so that has continous assesment

Yep im both traditional and modular :)
    I have economics and accounting left from year 2 so that has continous assesment
    fourth time to try? :confused:

Im a bit surprised they are still letting you repeat 2 second year subjects.
    (I know one was chicken pox and that sucks, I missed some last may too due to illness)

fourth time to try? :confused:

Im a bit surprised they are still letting you repeat 2 second year subjects.
    (I know one was chicken pox and that sucks, I missed some last may too due to illness)

No not fourth time, I didnt even apply to do them.I wanted to sit them this semester.
    I knew i was staying back this year anyway.

Advertisement