Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pot-bellied pig

Options
  • 10-12-2007 1:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Greetings :)

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a pot-bellied pig in Ireland? How much would one cost? And are they hard work as a pet?

I think they're so gorgeous...I'd just love one.

Thanks for any pearls you can provide!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

You see them in the buy and sell from time to time.

be warned though, they are considered "livestock" and as such some councils don't allow them to be kept in urban areas. I had planned to keep one a while back but as my area is considered Dublin City we were not allowed even though we have a large area of of land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 sebastianv

I would do your research very carefully they were a trend a few years back and many pigs were dumped into rescues in the UK. Not sure about Ireland have only been here 10 years and only met the one in the DSPCA a very large boy.
    The good points. The are very affectionate, very very intelligent and sociable animals.
    Because they are so intelligent they need to have plenty of stimulation and can become destructive when bored, they can become very dominant and protective of one person, and will chase or "attack" other people they perceive to be in their space or who may be paying to much attention to their chosen one and they CAN BITE.
    They require a lot of attention and company, so not a pet to be left alone to it's own devices, or you may come home to no bins no fence and no shed :cool:

They eat like horses :) so plenty of food. They also need to "root" so if you have a nice grass lawn you won't have that for long.
    They can live up to 18 years so a pig is certainly for life :)
    Think about it's needs your lifestyle and make an informed educated decision.
    good luck seb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

As they are considered 'livestock,' would there also be issues with much bureaucracy via the Department of Agriculture?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

There was someone on the nationwide program a while back who had one as a pet, a very clean animal apparently and for some reason need paraffin applied to it's skin regularly.
    I wouldn't trust one alone in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MissDefied

Thank you all for your replies. May shelve the idea til I marry a farmer with a field to spare so...don't think my landlord would go for it somehow:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I also considered one but I am sure the dogs would not be impressed so for a quite life I abandoned the idea. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Remember they cannot be kept in a house with dogs as they are prey and dogs are preditors. You can never leave the two alone together, even if the two were raised together. The pig WILL annoy the dog, it wont back off when warned like another dog would and even the most placid dog is bound to eventually lose patience and seriously harm the pig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

hmm, on vets on call the other week there was a lady on who had dogs and a pet pig(s) living in the same house.

I don't think you need a lot of land for a pig but I imagine it would be better to have 2 pigs so they'd be company for each other.

They do like to churn the ground up a good bit and need to be taught from a young age to respect fencing. (i.e. not to demolish it! lol)

theres often pigs advertised in the buy&sell, maybe not ''proper'' pot bellied pigs but not all pigs are big anyway..... large whites would be the really big meat pigs. I'd love a gloucester old spot myself :P you could save a normal pig or two from becoming rashers! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Remember they cannot be kept in a house with dogs as they are prey and dogs are preditors. You can never leave the two alone together, even if the two were raised together. The pig WILL annoy the dog, it wont back off when warned like another dog would and even the most placid dog is bound to eventually lose patience and seriously harm the pig.

even a king charles spaniel...

cant see a kig charles ever snarling its teeth at any living being..!

mine just died the other nite and Im devastated at his loss. Its as bad as a human dying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

even a king charles spaniel...

cant see a kig charles ever snarling its teeth at any living being..!

mine just died the other nite and Im devastated at his loss. Its as bad as a human dying

This thread is 2 years old!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

x in the city - please try not to drag up old threads unless it's something very relevant
    Magenta - your post is pointless, next time use the report post function

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement