Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

replacing northbridge and southbridge coolers. need help!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Neither of them coolers will do the job well. The sb cooler will be noisy as hell. Head over to www.scan.co.uk and www.overclockers.co.uk there are a goof few options there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

will ya let me know which southbridge cooler ya decide to go for (if passive), the fan on my 680i lt is a wee bit noisy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

having wicked problems finding a suitable southbridge cooler that i can get.

any suggestions anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭ricka05

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭ricka05

having wicked problems finding a suitable southbridge cooler that i can get.

any suggestions anyone?

http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/home.php?cat=608
    http://www.quietpc.com/ie-en-eur/products/northbridgecooling
    MCX159.jpg
    If you cant use the fittings try to stick it with Arctic Silver Alumina Thermal Adhesive

PLEASE NOTE: Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive is a permanent adhesive. Any components you attach together with Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive will stay attached forever. Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive IS NOT intended to be used to attach a CPU heatsink to a CPU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

I have the same board as your self and i went for the Thermalright Hr-05 & Hr-05-sli for the north and south bridge, Both worked perfectly and are passive so no noise, always a plus.

Dropped shipset temps a nice bit to....

Depending on what setup you have with regards to your CPU heatsink will decide which one you can use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

srbd20: what did you use for the mosfets? and was it the hr-05 for the northbridge and hr-05-sli for the south bridge? could you invisage any problems with 2vlarge graphics cards fitted?
    thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

The mosfets on the EVGA 680i board were a bit of a problem when i was building, as the commercial products available would not fit the board (this may have changed since though).

Basically i removed the Mosfets and got rid of the thermal gunk applied by EVGA, (seriously, everyone with EVGA 680i board should do this, the amount of the stuff they use is un-freaking believeable) and applied AS5.

I cant remember which way i worked it with mine, ill check later when i get home, im using a tuniq so i think i had to use the SLI one on my Northbridge.

With the Thermalright chipset coolers, you can use either one of them, for your North or South Bridge, all depends on your setup.

I would check out the EVGA forums as a lot of the guys there have used the Thermalright chipset coolers and im sure someone will have a similar setup to you, as far as i know the XFX board is a similar layout.

The only caveat i would have with them is the fixing clip, can be a bit flimsy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

It really comes donw to whether you are going to use this board for SLI or not, as if you aren't you could a larger heatsink on the NB. You only really need those small noisy ones when you need the headroom for SLI DX10 cards

the thought of spending 300 quid on a second 8800gt doesnt interest me for sli.

not yet tho :)

• Advertisement

what did ya go for for the southbridge? any problems putting it on? and wheres the best place to buy from?

http://www.quietpc.com/ie-en-eur/products/northbridgecooling/tr-hr-05-sli
    will that fit on the southbridge????

sebastian, i put this on the southbridge.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=322427

only reason was because im not using sli.
    so i used my graphics card in the secondary pci x16 slot.
    as with this on the southbridge, the graphics card wont fit into the primary pcix16 slot.

and yeah that will fit on the southbridge. just make sure there isnt anything in the way.

the southbridge doesnt get too hot, so a small cooler will do the job. doesnt need to be fan cooled, just passive. as long as there is decent airflow in the case any passive small heatpipe will do the job.

any chance you still have the original 680i northbridge and southbridge coolers?

sebastian, i put this on the southbridge.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=322427

only reason was because im not using sli.
    so i used my graphics card in the secondary pci x16 slot.
    as with this on the southbridge, the graphics card wont fit into the primary pcix16 slot.

and yeah that will fit on the southbridge. just make sure there isnt anything in the way.

the southbridge doesnt get too hot, so a small cooler will do the job. doesnt need to be fan cooled, just passive. as long as there is decent airflow in the case any passive small heatpipe will do the job.

any chance you still have the original 680i northbridge and southbridge coolers?

and i can put my grafix card in pci-e slot 2 no problem?? (i taut it HAD to go in pci-e 1?)

its the LT model i have by the way (not copper heat pipe goin thru), (little stupid noisy fan on the SB), i doubt ill change my NB cooler as its not that noisy, but i will get rid of the SB, if ya want it its up for grabs

i need to get the 680i a1 cooler :( not the lt version im afraid.

if there are 2 identical pci x 16 ports then you can use either so i was told.

Advertisement