Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheistic spirituality

Options
  • 10-12-2007 7:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

OK lads first off i'm not looking for an argument, i'm just curious.

(And please don't tell me google is my friend as here is as good a place as any to get views on this).

Anyway, atheistic spirituality- is this an oxymoron.
    If not could atheists here tell me what constitutes their spirituality.

Someone in another thread said atheism simply meant belief in the non-existence of God (a-theism).

They said it had nothing to do with whether you believed in an afterlife per se(iirc).

So does this mean some atheists allow for the possibility of a "spiritual" consciousness outside of the material world- an eternal afterlife even :p
    I'm guessing not.
    The two are irreconcilable aren't they?

If not what constitutes Atheistic spirituality.

Spirituality, to me atleast is necessarily immaterial isn't it and anything immaterial is unproveable isn't it so it's necessarily at odds with Atheism which relies on strict rationality.
    Does that sound right to you.
    I'm waiting for someone to tell me to revise my definition of spirituality ;)

Again i'm not agitating i'm just interested to hear your thoughts on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

tech77 wrote: »
    OK lads first off i'm not looking for an argument,
    Haha, are atheists that notorious? :p Either way, I doubt there will be no argument, but the arguement will probably be among atheists. :p

Obviously, what I'm about to write is my own personal opinion and I can't speak for all atheists. One of the fun things about atheism is that nobody is expected to share opinions on anything.
    Anyway, atheistic spirituality- is this an oxymoron.
    I guess it depends on the atheist, and how one defines an atheist, and how that atheist defines spirituality. :o
    Personally, I would be inclined towards a "no" answer, though if anyone ever suggested that I was having a spiritual experience, I would be insulted.
    If not could atheists here tell me what constitutes their spirituality.
    Personally, I would define spirituality as a psychological state, probably involving ones imagination, creativity, irrationality, curiosity, and a ton of endorphins.

As a Christian child, I had "spiritual" experiences, but since becomming an atheist, I have not had trouble experiencing similar feelings.

The closest thing to spirituality I have is probably in profound experiences of love, wonder, joy, hope etc.
    The love I have for my mother who almost died giving birth to me, or the breath taking awe at viewing the sublime French Alps from an airplane, or observing the elegance of symbiosis when looking at a garden ant farm a group of aphids.

These sort of things are capable of moving me in a way that seems to be outside the usual spectrum of emotions, and they appeal to an irrational side which I allow to fester because I consider a little bit of wonder and awe to be relatively harmless, and part of human nature.

Human nature is cool. :D
    Someone in another thread said atheism simply meant belief in the non-existence of God (a-theism).
    Belief in the non-existence of God, or as many atheists would put it, simply, the lack of belief in a supreme being or god.
    They said it had nothing to do with whether you believed in an afterlife per se(iirc).
    Again, I think this is a semantic issue. Personally, I would not consider someone who believed in life after death, or the human soul, to be an atheist as they are believing in something which there is little or no evidence for, i.e they are deluded.
    So does this mean some atheists allow for the possibility of a "spiritual" consciousness outside of the material world- an eternal afterlife even :p
    I'm guessing not.
    I think atheists tend to leave the doors of possibility pretty wide open, but one who postulated that spiritual conciousness or an eternal afterlife was more than highly unlikely, might be considered agnostic.
    Spirituality, to me atleast is necessarily immaterial isn't it and anything immaterial is unproveable isn't it so it's necessarily at odds with Atheism which relies on strict rationality.

Does that sound right to you.

Spirituality, to me is a psychological state so I believe all humans are capable of it.
    I'm waiting for someone to tell me to revise my definition of spirituality
    I'm glad you agree that "spirituality" is something that means different things to different people.

I hope this helps in some way.

"Wake of Poseidon" by King Crimson just came on my itunes, and reminded me that I forgot to mention music.

Music is capable of enducing "spiritual" feelings in me. It can move me to tears or make me dance uncontrollably in ecstacy. (I said "in", not "on":rolleyes:)

God this song is beautifull.

The tune is here by the way.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa05r_5YXdc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Atheist, in the strictest sense, means one who does not believe in a God or Gods.
    Most Atheists tend to have a world view entirely free of mystical or supernatural elements.

However, it is possible to be an Atheist while having other religious/mystical beliefs.

Asiaprod and Bluewolf are both Atheists aswell as Buddhists, for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Zillah wrote: »
    Most Atheists tend to have a world view entirely free of mystical or supernatural elements.

However, it is possible to be an Atheist while having other religious/mystical beliefs.

Asiaprod and Bluewolf are both Atheists aswell as Buddhists, for example.

That's interesting.
    The basis for Atheism/refutation of God is lack of evidence for God.

So to preserve the above principle any mysticism they accept would have to be evidential in
    nature wouldn't it?

That sounds contradictory though doesn't it.

And Atheists with religious beliefs- how would that come into it.. now i'm really puzzled :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

That's interesting.

So to preserve the above principle any mysticism they accept would have to be evidential in
    nature wouldn't it?

That sounds contradictory though doesn't it.

And Atheists with religious beliefs- how would that come into it.. now i'm really puzzled :)

Er, Buddhism is an atheistic religion, as is Taoism.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's always a bit of confusion about the concept of atheism and non-religious people. People tend to assume that those who don't subscribe to a particular religion must be atheists and that an atheist is one who has no religion.

As pointed out, this is simply not true. Perhaps it's a semantic issue (such as confusing vegans and vegetarians), or maybe it's more to do with the religious stigma that used to be attached to atheists, i.e. that they were evil/sinners.
    There used to be an image in olde Ireland that if one was atheist, they were morally bankrupt and total hedonists. Non-religious people were considered equally evil. So this is perhaps how the grouping occured.

However, atheism does not exclude one from having spiritual beliefs or even participating in a religion, such as Buddhism.

Not particpating in a religion does not make one atheist. I know plenty of people who believe in a God, but declare their non-adherence to religion (as opposed to just not participating).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

seamus wrote: »
    However, atheism does not exclude one from having spiritual beliefs or even participating in a religion, such as Buddhism.
    I always have problems with the term religion. From my own school of Buddhism, we see Buddhism as a philosophy with an attached spirituality. We have no gods, our focus is more on natural laws. Our deviation is probably on the aspect of reincarnation/rebirth, then again, at one stage of its existence Christianity supported the idea of reincarnation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Asiaprod wrote: »
    at one stage of its existence Christianity supported the idea of reincarnation.

Did it? can you elaborate. Not that I'd be surprised, just curious as to the whats and whens.

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Er, Buddhism is an atheistic religion, as is Taoism.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Yeah fair enough.
    I overlooked Buddhism because I viewed it as a philosophy rather than a traditional religion.
    Not sure about Taoism tbh but I thought that had elements of worship in it as well.

Anyway just regarding atheists flirting with things like Buddhism:
    Aren't there leaps of faith to be taken with Buddhism as with other mono(theistic) religions.
    I know people say Buddhism has vague scientific parallels but isn't it just a more palatable sophisticated version of what other religions offer.
    Apart from some genuinely good teaching isn't there a lot of mumbo jumbo there as well.

I admit I think I may have had a preconceived notion of ALL atheists being hard-nosed, evidence-demanding sceptics which probably is not the case.
    They probably profess more faith than I give them credit for :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

JimiTime wrote: »
    Did it? can you elaborate. Not that I'd be surprised, just curious as to the whats and whens.

Origen of Alexandria appears to be the man.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Aren't there leaps of faith to be taken with Buddhism as with other mono(theistic) religions.
    There may well be, but the one leap of faith that defines an atheist - belief in a god - is not one of them. Hence no problemo!
    I admit I think I may have had a preconceived notion of ALL atheists being hard-nosed, evidence-demanding sceptics which probably is not the case.
    I think most atheists wouldn't consider that one has to be a hard-nosed sceptic to reject some or all of the purported god theorys - but rather share a sense of incredulity as to how anyone can. :)

They probably profess more faith than I give them credit for :p

I doubt that very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 achillesminor

I am an athiest, however I do feel I have a spiritual side - not one that would be congruent to the theistic envisioning of the term perhaps :).

My 'spirituality' comes from the pursuit of my own personal advancement; the attempt to create a state of harmony between my mind and my body, a nexus of the two, if you will.

I also believe in the Collective Unconcious posited by Carl Jung; I believe in trying to keep my ego as minimally active as possible, in an attempt to allow my mind/body to interact with this Unconcious.

That's my take on spirituality - one I have come to in the last year or two - and is about as ethereal as I get; although it most likely sounds like most New Age crap out there, and has left me feeling slightly dirty :P

I suppose, however, it all comes down to how you define spirituality; any real athiest, most likely, could not be considered spiritual by any follower of an Abrahamic religion.

That's interesting.

In many cases. My basis for lack of belief in God could be how my chocolate pie tastes and I'd be no less an Atheist for it.

You don't have to be rational to not believe in God, even though not believing in God is the rational position.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭SubjectSean

You don't have to be rational to not believe in God, even though not believing in God is the rational position.

It looks more contrary than rational. The agnostics seem to be the rational ones :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Spiritualism is a rather vague and broad term that I don't really like.
    Warm fuzzy feeling works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Origen of Alexandria appears to be the man.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Interesting. Thanks for that.
    J.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

It looks more contrary than rational. The agnostics seem to be the rational ones :)

On the balance of probabilities, the likelihood of there not being a God is greater than the 'true' agnostic position that there is no basis to judge one way or the other.

To say there definitely is no God (an outright atheistic standpoint) is obviously less rational than the statement 'there probably isn't a God' - but that is not the technical stance of an agnostic.

The agnostics seem to be the rational ones :)

Not so.

In some sort of utterly useless logic game where you cannot commit to any sort of belief without 100% proof then the Agnostic wins. In the real world we are fundamentally denied that degree of surety in anything. We make rational assumptions based on evidence and precedent. It is entirely rational to assume that something does not exist when there is no evidence for its existence. Please apply this rationale to any of the following statements:

1 - I am a vampire.
    2 - The car hurtling down the road is a hologram so you should cross anyway.
    3 - The Umbrella corporation is real, but very very clever.
    4 - The universe was created by a supernatural being of ultimate power.
    5 - The Hulk is standing behind you.
    6 - Your mother is the reincarnation of the Queen of Scots.

Every single day most human beings, including yourself, quite rightly reject points 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6. Why are you giving point 4 special treatment? The essence of rationality is to provide correct answers. The logic of the agnostic, taken to its fruition, is highly irrational, it leads to a fundamental crippling of our ability to answer questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭lookinforpicnic

Yeah fair enough.
    I know people say Buddhism has vague scientific parallels but isn't it just a more palatable sophisticated version of what other religions offer.
    Apart from some genuinely good teaching isn't there a lot of mumbo jumbo there as well.

Clearly there are many roads to atheism, and many of them do not involve the rational scientific way.

I'm going to rant a bit, it annoys me sometimes when someone asks what i believe in and I say I'm an atheist, to me it almost gives credence to theism, in that I am a 'non-believer', I same to myself..no I'm not.. I believe in all sorts of things..DNA, proteins, cells, evolution, the power of neural networks in enabling everything human. And I'm limited to saying I'm an atheist..."so you don't believe in god" is the usual response, and then i have to say, of course I don't believe in god but I also don't believe in magic, souls, reincarnation, tooth fairies, anything supernatural, and then someone says "so you don't believe in anything", yeah I don't believe in anything!:rolleyes:

The word 'atheist' I think has a lot to answer for in the typical agnostic response above which Zillah debunks. The connotations of the word 'atheism' clearly have theism as the default position, which I think will in most cases (as above) mislead intuitions, unconsciously giving a bit of respect or credence to theism, for that reason I prefer the term 'bright' but I have never used it as then i would have to explain it (and that has unwanted connotations of its own which I also think it won't be able to shed easily), its a no win position. Rant over.

• Advertisement

The word 'atheist' I think has a lot to answer for in the typical agnostic response above which Zillah debunks. The connotations of the word 'atheism' clearly have theism as the default position, which I think will in most cases (as above) mislead intuitions, unconsciously giving a bit of respect or credence to theism, for that reason I prefer the term 'bright' but I have never used it as then i would have to explain it (and that has unwanted connotations of its own which I also think it won't be able to shed easily), its a no win position. Rant over.

I think it was Sam Harris who said that we don't need the word atheist, any more than we need a special word for those who don't believe in vampires or astrology.

womoma wrote: »
    I doubt that very much.

Not sure what you mean.
    Do you mean all atheists are faithless in a general sense or something.

I (probably wrongly) had all atheists pegged as absolutely faithless, evidence-demanding nihilists.
    But faithless means refusing to believe in anything (not just God) without good evidence.

As Zillah said strict rationality is not necessarily a prerequisite for being an atheist.
    There's room for unfounded belief (faith) among them, just not when it comes to things like God. Fair enough.

Anyway I admit the term atheist has a bad rep (maybe undeservedly) and I was guilty of preconceptions about all atheists being narrowly similar belief-wise.

I have however learnt that they are a diverse group with varying beliefs and the fact they don't believe in God is just one (maybe unimportant?) aspect of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I think it was Sam Harris who said that we don't need the word atheist, any more than we need a special word for those who don't believe in vampires or astrology.

it was

http://richarddawkins.net/article,1702,The-Problem-with-Atheism,Sam-Harris
    http://richarddawkins.net/article,1723,Response-to-My-Fellow-Atheists,Sam-Harris

Advertisement