Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 318 ci Petrol tank tampered with

Options
  • 10-12-2007 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

I came home from work last week to find my petrol tank lid open even though the car was locked! It would seem that somebody (probably kids) forced it open. My main concern is that once it is open then anybody can get access to the petrol tank. DO you know if it is possible to get a petrol cap that locks? This would stop people tampering with the petrol tank when the lid is open!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

BMW don't make one unfortunately, but a Motor Factors would be able to supply you with one. If your petrol cap lid has been damaged, it'd be no harm to get that repaired anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Is the flap damaged, ie is it now possible to lock it shut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭babel

Hi,

The lid does not appear to be damaged, it does lock again alright.

ned78 wrote: »
    BMW don't make one unfortunately, but a Motor Factors would be able to supply you with one. If your petrol cap lid has been damaged, it'd be no harm to get that repaired anyway.

Do you know of any good motor factors in the dublin area that could supply one? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

babel wrote: »
    Hi,

The lid does not appear to be damaged, it does lock again alright.

Are you sure you closed it properly after you last used it? I don't think it is possible to open the flap when the car is locked with causing damage to it.

• Advertisement

High&Low wrote: »
    Are you sure you closed it properly after you last used it? I don't think it is possible to open the flap when the car is locked with causing damage to it.
    +1.

yes, 100% sure. It has happened twice now. First time I though maybe I did not close it properly.

Foudn a crowd on ebay that sell lockable petrol caps. Better safe than sorry!

Perhaps the bolt that locks it isn't engaging fully?

Anan1 wrote: »
    Perhaps the bolt that locks it isn't engaging fully?

Perhaps... I tried opening it while the car was locked by pushing it in (the usual way the cover opens) and it didnt open however when I then unlocked the car the petrol cover just popped open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Any chance you had been through the car wash? The pressure of the brushes in a car wash is enough to pop it open while you're sitting in the car with it unlocked. I've driven away from car washes before only to notice my filler cap in my wing mirror a mile down the road. If it's open then it obviously isn't going to lock when you lock the car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I would be worried of someone opening it and pouring sugar into the tank, an nasty trick before lockible fuel caps were available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

He said in his last post that it popped open when he unlocked the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I would be worried of someone opening it and pouring sugar into the tank, an nasty trick before lockible fuel caps were available.

I'd be almost as worried about some low life nicking my precious petrol!

Advertisement