Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large Fin in Bonmahon

Options
  • 10-12-2007 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

two of us were out in bonmahon sat morning, only two people on the beach, somewhat messy but better than tramore.

about twenty min into our session i spotted out of the corner of my eye what looked to be a plank of wood jutting out of the water about 15ft behind me. didnt pay much attenetion. caught the next wave and I started thinking it was strange that the wood was standing vertical in the water. got of the board, stood up and turned round to get a proper look and the "wood" was still there, heading out through the wave, vertical, about 2ft out of the water. defo a fin of something.

What the hell was is. Too big for a porpoise i would have thought

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Huh, odd. Bunmahon is my usual spot and i've never seen anything like that. The only sea life i've seen there is the seal that ofter around and a few fish jumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

defo wasnt a seal. i've gotten pretty close to them before whilst snorkelling in sandycove

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Don't want to alarm people here that surf down in Bonmahon,Waterford but that could quite possibly have been a killer whale fin.Killer Whales tend to hang around islands where there are large seal populations.If the population of seals in Bonmahon is large enough,possibly they could be swimming there.They were in Kerry a few months ago and have been documented to be best seen off the Saltee islands,Wexford.

I know it sounds strange,there has never been a documented report of a killer whale attacking or killing people in the wild but if I were to see one while I'm swimming,I'd get the hell out of the water ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Could it have been a basking shark?

How far from the shore was it and how deep was the water?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

water wasnt deep. slightly more than head height. it was between me and my mate who was past the break

• Advertisement

Nothing down there on monday anyway except a strong drag towards the rocks on the right hand side of the beach :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Surfing on a Monday?

You bollix, green with envy here. :mad:

Well I was out of the country for work and just flew back in that morning, seemed a shame to waste a good day like that you know ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Didn't mean to seem so envious and angry, fair play to you. Great you have the energy too after being away with work!!

PR1CK!!!!!

Advertisement