Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How soon?

• 10-12-2007 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Just wondering if any of the lady divers or their partners know how soon after having a baby can a woman return diving. Or has anybody got contact details for a dive doctor in the South East that I can ask/ go to after the birth.
    Due to head on back to Australia's GBR for a wedding in mid April was booked before bump came along Im due in mid Feb. Assuming birth is normal (sorry, trying to avoid detail for any squeemish guys here:eek:) what do you think my chances are for being able to dive again. (Last experience was great but the Aussies are very serious about their insurance etc. these days)

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

Firstly I'm not a lady diver (last time I checked:D) & congratulations in advance. I suggest contacting CFT & ask to be put in contact with a doctor with dive medical knowledge. They have(used to have?) a doctor based in Waterford that is on their medical council.

http://www.cft.ie/contact.htm

Benny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

Whenever you physically feel up to it. There is no medical reason why you couldn't provided you don't have a 'sunroof' baby :D
    I think by april should be fine, especially when you'll be diving off a boat.
    I'm due about the same time and energy levels depending I'll hope to have some shore dives done by mid april also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 missmagic

Thats great. Thanks Benny & Flyz. Hoping for a normal birth - there was talks of the "sunroof " variety earlier on in the pregnancy as the placenta was very low but it appears to be grand now fingers crossed.
    Is it your first too Flyz or have you a brood of junior divers?:p With any luck this one will be a waterbaby like her mom and dad:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 RogerViking

your talking maybe 8 weeks i think 'dont take my word' and only if you have been in good fitness start off shallow for a few weeks. or wait till after feb when the water stars to warm up again ...its 8c in strangford:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

Hopefully Oz would be a bit warmer than 8deg :)
    However you body may be still recovering after the birth and then to fly long haul to Oz might cause you to be too tired to do dive. But it's hard to tell until the time comes I think.

As for me I'm living in NZ and have a drysuit so water temperatures will be more like 14deg for me when I go back.

These are our first 2 on the way :D It's looking like they'll be here mid Jan now through the 'sunroof' so I'm still optimistic to be in the water by mid-April.

Hubbie said he wouldn't be too upset if they didn't take to SCUBA diving. I find that hard to believe though because we'd have 2 bored kids on holidays with us otherwise! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 missmagic

Twins! Congratulations. Double trouble.;) I was a little surprized to have just one in the scan - both my grandmothers are identical twins and my grandfathers had non-identical twin brothers they are in most generations except my parents so maybe the chain has been broken. DH's family has a lot of twinning also. Im 31 weeks tomorrow and feeling fine, except for a damn cold LOL. Im usually very energetic so Im hoping to get back into the swing of things pretty easily (provided bub allows me to get some sleep)
    Ah sure they can always snorkle if not into scuba. Over here in Ireland I wouldn't even dream of getting into the water without a drysuit for most of the year - too bloody cold:eek:. The surfers are having a great time at the moment as we are getting record waves. Unfortunately no lifeguards on the beaches during winter makes it more dangerous:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Advertisement