Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need the number of a good technician.

Options
  • 10-12-2007 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I had a problem that i posted about 4 months ago where my 3MB BT connection suddenly dropped one day over night and I couldn't even get a reliable 1MB connection. I tried everything and called everyone until one day it just decided to work again but only at 1MB.

Sadly it has all gone tits up again and I can't even get the 1MB connection to be stable any more.

Does anyone have the number of a good technician that they have used that I could call to come and have a look at the wiring in the house just to knock it all on the head?

I want a technician to check the lines before thinking of changing provider so that I know where I stand. If the internal wiring is fine then I might change back to Eircom and get them to fix it street side although everytime they check the exchange they say it's fine. All my sockets are filtered.

It is totally wrecking my head.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Who is your provider?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

subfreq wrote: »
    Hi All

I had a problem that i posted about 4 months ago where my 3MB BT

Saruman.

:D oops missed the "BT" bit.

the reason i ask anyway is my parents are in the same boat. On BT's highest home package. Used to be great, now its very slow during the day. Its NOT a line problem. Its a contention issue, its fine later on at night but during the day, especially when the schools are off its at a crawl due to everyone at home downloading stuff.

Rebooting the router i found actually speeds it up for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

I wish it was a contention issue. That would mean that I was able to GET a connection. What is happening is that my DSL connection is dropping and wont stay connected for more than minutes at a time.

When it is connected all the stats look fine and I should be able to easily hold a 3Mb connection but it just drops and connects continuously all day long.

I went through weeks of pain with BT support who threw me back to Eircom support and round and round and round.

Now i want to get a proper independent technician in to look at the problem.

I would have one last stab at BT and if you get nowhere, inform them you will be sending them the bill for getting a 3rd party involved.
    The way it should work, in an ideal world is that BT as YOUR service provider should chase up with eircom themselves... eircom being THEIR service provider. You should not have to go running between the two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 tommy

What part of the country are you in? I might be able to help you if you are in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

Hey Tommy

Based in Sallynoggin just above Dun Laoghaire. I have a suspicion as crazy as it might sound that the problem is caused by water damage somewhere. I was talking about it with a mate this morning and the problem only really seems to happen when we have heavy rain. I first had the problem earlie in the year when we had 6 weeks of bad weather and it only came back over the last 10 days during the heavy rain again.

No idea where the water damage might be though.

Any help you can give would be appreciated man. If you are in my area drop me a PM and we could arrange somthing.

Cheers - Scott

Advertisement