Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

bought a car in little island, cork yesterday & didnt even make it home...

Options
  • 10-12-2007 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

bought a car from autoxchange in little island yesterday & on way home the battery died while i was sitting waiting to pick up someone. So no prob, that can happen, got a jump start and continued on our way. Then a couple of miles outside the city the temperature guage shot up, steam/smoke came out of engine and we pulled into a garage. Added oil, water, and waited half an hour in cold, dark night for it to cool down. Then tried to continue on home. Nope, 10 mins later, all happens again. So we had to leave car in a local garage and get taxi home. Rang autoxchange this morning, they say they can do nothing till manager comes in TOMORROW... meanwhile, we have no car & money is gone to garage. All we want is our old but totally reliable car & our hard earned money back... What can we do?? Besides throwing myself on the ground outside the building and warning all other buyers off... Please help.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

What type of car, how old and did it have a full service history when you bought it?

Did you have it checked out yourself?

Did you notice any sign of leaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

You could just wait until tomorrow. One day isn't exactly going to set you one way or the other. What type of car is it? The symptoms you're describing seem like quite a simple problem TBH, most people freak when they see smoke coming from the bonnet, but the likelihood is just that a hose in the cooling system has split, or worked it's way loose.

Why did you need to add oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

just a guess here ...but were all the fanbelts still present and correct when you checked water/oil ?

Sounds to me like you lost the use of one fan belt ...possibly one that drives the alternator and the water pump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Jinks7

2002 suzuki ignis, seemed to have all service history, in good nick. Didn't have it checked out ourselves because we thought they were a reliable company..

Added oil because oil was really low, which was worrying especially as they had done a service...

My issue is the car is now sitting at a garage at the side of the road, they are not interested in going to even look at it, who is now responsible for it?

Waiting till tomorrow seems ridiculous, as they didn't have to wait till tomorrow to take the money...

Jinks7 wrote: »
    2002 suzuki ignis, seemed to have all service history, in good nick. Didn't have it checked out ourselves because we thought they were a reliable company..

So you didn't check it, but it 'seemed' to have all service history? Right ...
    My issue is the car is now sitting at a garage at the side of the road, they are not interested in going to even look at it, who is now responsible for it?

Ultimately, while it's their responsibility to collect the vehicle, it's your car, so if it's sitting at the side of the road, you're as well off for peace of mind to get it collected by a recovery company and dumped in Auto Exchange. You should also get a receipt for the recovery, and get Auto Exchange to pay you from Petty Cash for it.

If you don't get the car collected, it could be towed by the Corporation and you'll have to pay fees to get it released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

ned78 wrote: »
    So you didn't check it, but it 'seemed' to have all service history? Right ...

Surely if you're buying from a big chain with a good reputation, you should be able to take their word for it? Isn't that part of the reason you pay a premium buying from a garage over a private seller?

OP - Bad luck, but as someone else said, the car is your responsibility until it is officially taken off your hands by the garage. If you have AA cover, they should be able to tow it into the garage for you.

To the person who said 1 day isn't an inconvenience; it depends on your personal circumstances; for some people, 1 day without a car can cause untold problems, especially if you live a distance from the garage and have to take time off work to sort the problems out.

Fey! wrote: »
    Surely if you're buying from a big chain with a good reputation, you should be able to take their word for it? Isn't that part of the reason you pay a premium buying from a garage over a private seller?

It's Auto Exchange. It's like Harvey Normans, for cars.

Regardless, even if it is a main dealer, I would always ask the question. The OP has said he didn't, and assumed it had a FSH.
    Fey! wrote: »
    To the person who said 1 day isn't an inconvenience; it depends on your personal circumstances; for some people, 1 day without a car can cause untold problems, especially if you live a distance from the garage and have to take time off work to sort the problems out.

I don't buy that for a minute. One day without a car is nothing in the modern world, there's taxis, buses, and family/friends/colleagues who will all help out when the situation is explained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Most dealers will sell cars "trade" at a considerable cash discount off the normal sale price but at the expense of any warrenties or come back. This deal is normally to others in the motor trade but they will offer this to anyone who asks. You basically buy the car as seen tried and tested. It is a dangerous way to go about buying a car unless you have a good mechanic or know about cars yourself.

Most dealers will sell cars "trade" at a considerable cash discount off the normal sale price but at the expense of any warrenties or come back. You basically buy the car as seen tried and tested. It is a dangerous way to go about buying a car unless you have a good mechanic or know about cars yourself.

No one has made any reference to a trade car on this thread. The OP has bought a retail car and has had bad luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

ned78 wrote: »
    No one has made any reference to a trade car on this thread. The OP has bought a retail car and has had bad luck.
    Just something I thought I would mention as it is the only case in the motor trade where the buyer bewares. If he got it retail he has absolutly nothing to worry about. If I were him I would just dump the car back in the courtyard demand an instant refund, if that fails then get a good solicitor.They havent a leg to stand on.

• Advertisement

If he got it retail he has absolutly nothing to worry about. If I were him i would demand a refund, if that fails I would just dump the car back in the courtyard and get a good solicitor.

There's little point in him asking for a refund, as it's Auto Exchange, chances are the OP has signed up for finance, which is their own issue. It complicates the entire rejection process. The garage are entitled to have an opportunity to fix the vehicle. That's what a warranty is there for. As I've said, it sounds like a simple issue with the engine, one they'll stand over and sort no doubt.

To the OP, stay calm, it's easy to get worried when your new car breaks down, and shatters your new car feeling of happiness. Give the garage the chance to fix it, and everything going according to plan, you'll get your car back, and forget about this issue every happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Talk to a solicitor. If you have a family one they will tell you what to do over the phone, won't even charge and it will be far more informed than the muppetry you get from an internet forum.

As a solicitor I must say i detest garages and find them difficult to deal with. The good news is most judges and arbitrators seem to feel the same way.

It is always a difficult call the make whether to reject a car or not though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Jinks7

thanks for all that..

We paid cash + old car. Was not a trade car. Am torn between dumping car back in their premises right now, and waiting till tomorrow to see what happens next.

If tomorrow they are still being unhelpful, then i reckon getting the car towed to their place is next step.

After that, i reckon contact local media and spread the story around. I work in marketing and so have access to a lot of local media.

Next, is a promise to never, never, never buy a car without getting it checked by our own mechanic....

And never buy a car from autoxchange, and tell everyone I know about it.
    So beware..

And thanks again for all the advice, i have calmed down a bit since earlier.. It just gets me so mad, i personally wouldn't sell something that couldn't do what it was supposed to i.e. a car that drives

And thanks again for all the advice, i have calmed down a bit since earlier.. It just gets me so mad, i personally wouldn't sell something that couldn't do what it was supposed to i.e. a car that drives

Buying a car is the second most stressful thing you will do other than buying a house, so you're not alone, most people do get anxious and nervous! I hope it gets sorted out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Hopefully it'll all get sorted out and you'll end up happy.

Welcome to boards; hopefully the rest of your posts will be on happier subjects!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

i bought a car from autoxchanges garage in limerick three and half years ago and it turned out the car was in a serious collision and fixed up and put back on the road, i found out this coz i was having problems with the car and decided to have it assessed by an engineer in cork by the name of keith ballard of george ballard assessors who gave it a good going over and took pics and all of the entire underneath of the car they are a pack of cowboys and i would,nt recommend buying a push bike from them and op i,d recommend getting the car assessed if you want the phone number of ballards just give me a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

They are a member of Simi plus they state the following on their website.

"All vehicles get 12 months AA coverage & a 110 point AA Autocheck prior to display for complete peace of mind."

http://www.autoxchange.ie/contentv3/

DonJose wrote: »
    They are a member of Simi plus they state the following on their website.

"All vehicles get 12 months AA coverage & a 110 point AA Autocheck prior to display for complete peace of mind."

http://www.autoxchange.ie/contentv3/
    aw believe me you,ll definately need the use of the AA if you buy a car and as for the 110 point check what a load of bull they don,t even service or repair the cars themselves they have third party mechanics that do it for em!! also the simi does nothing for the consumer i,ve tried there approach and did,nt get anywhere until i went and got legal advice myself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Agree with that comment, it's the Society of the Irish Motor INDUSTRY. who's interests do you think they care about with a name like that?

OP, I hope you get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

DonJose wrote: »

"All vehicles get 12 months AA coverage

Funny, the OP did not mention anything about the AA checking the car out when it wouldn't run or them towing it. Either he did not get AA cover as advertised or he did not properly read and understand the contract which would have included it.

If he has needlessly left the car on the side of the road overnight and it gets damaged the seller would have no responsibility.

As they advertise a 110 point AA check I assume the OP has a copy of that which he insisted on getting before buying the car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Tbh, I'm sure the garage are entitled to rectify the problem and it may be only a small problem, or replace the car for a similar model or priced car. These things happen, remember it is a six year old secondhand car. Garages are always getting slated here but a lot of them do try to give good service and value for money. I've had problems with cars I've sold too but I always try to sort the problem out and provide a hire car or loan car and a to customer for the duration of the repair.

junkyard wrote: »
    Tbh, I'm sure the garage are entitled to rectify the problem and it may be only a small problem, or replace the car for a similar model or priced car.
    funny you might say that because i tried this before i had the car assessed and was told point blank that they were,nt going to give me a refund,replacement as i was,nt happy with my purchase this goes against consumer law under the sales of goods and supply of services act 1980

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Don't they only officially sell cars up to 3 or 4 years old??

Surely they would have suggested having the AA shunt the car back??

OP, I agree with the keep calm / be reasonable sentiments here. It's not a new car and it's not a very expensive car and if you want a new car service you would have to pay much much more. I suspect they may have given you an out the back door type deal, breaking their own rules for a sought after car like these Ignis yokes.

I had a timing belt changed recently and as a result of the interference, a rad hose popped off and it overheated. This happened to me with no warranty and on the Friday of a long weekend and 20 miles from home so I was knackered. It happends every day it's just today it's happened to you.

They're only human afterall and they may well yet want to bend over backwards to accomodate you so reserve judgement. Afterall, I think they've rarely if ever been mentioned here good, bad or indifferent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Give them a chance to rectify the problem. Don't go in all guns blazing yet. I would call into the Auto Exchange place in person, it a lot harder to give you a load of bull to your face & you are an immediate priority as you are standing in the office not at the end of the phone. Stay calm explain what has happened & ascertain what they intend to do as a resolution. I would definitely give them the opportunity the resolve the situation. I would also insist on a temporary replacement car until the issue is resolved.
    As others have said it is a 6 year old car & there is always the possibility for something to go wrong. Even with brand new cars things can go wrong.
    If it was me I would definitely enquire what the problem was once it has been fixed. Just in case there is any permanent damage as a result of trying to drive it with a problem.
    Hope it works out.

ye well he should,nt have to be handing over lots of cash either for the "CONMEN" that are autoxchange to feck him about i know from experience i,ve had a lot of problems with them and as for there cover cars there just as bad i ended up the first time gettin a 96 fiat punto that was done up all boy racer style it was a pure death trap second cover car was grand did,nt have a bother with it but the third one jesus i was stuck between tipp town and limerick junction with a flat tyre, there was a spare but no car jack or wheel brace in the car at all was at the side of the road four hours until hellp arrived

Advertisement