Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Vista book?

• 10-12-2007 11:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm just after buying a computer for my parents for a Christmas present. Now, neither of them is very techy so I'm looking for recommendations for a good how to guide. Maybe the ‘dummies’ series? I haven’t had a chance to look in the shop yet, to flick through the books.

I’ll spend some time with them to show them how to use it but I know my Mam wont go near it if she’s afraid she mess something up. But at least if she had a step by step guide, she would be a bit more confident.

So have any of ye any recommendations? Or have used some before?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Clseeper wrote: »
    but I know my Mam wont go near it if she’s afraid she mess something up.
    the
    Thanks.

This is exactly what people must not be afraid of when delving into there first hands on computer experience. Your not likely to learn a lot if you are afraid of pressing or clicking the wrong button or visiting the wrong page. This is how must of us learn things about OS's, phones etc. My folks are exactly the same. Afraid to try something on the computer, not even an icon position has changed on the desktop in about 3 years. The same same stuff is in the recycle bin and wallpaper remains unchanged. At least there are some good tuition courses for people these days like the European Driving Licence thingy is a good place to start. I also think it's a good idea to learn a specific application like excel and learn it well. this will give you a good understanding of how the general UI works with OS's and most applications.

Cheers,
    Syngin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Clseeper wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm just after buying a computer for my parents for a Christmas present. Now, neither of them is very techy so I'm looking for recommendations for a good how to guide. Maybe the ‘dummies’ series? I haven’t had a chance to look in the shop yet, to flick through the books.

I’ll spend some time with them to show them how to use it but I know my Mam wont go near it if she’s afraid she mess something up. But at least if she had a step by step guide, she would be a bit more confident.

So have any of ye any recommendations? Or have used some before?

Thanks.

Yep Dummies or Idiots guide to Vista should do the trick.....

Advertisement