Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So its Christmas, what Sat Nav to get the old man?

Options
  • 10-12-2007 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭

If someone was going to get you a Sat Nav what would be your choice.

I have to get one for my Dad for xmas and am wondering on what to get him.

All suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i got mine a garmin nuvi 610T, getting one for myself too :D

Reason being they have (apparently) the best maps for Ireland, the device also has bluetooth which will double nicely as a handsfree kit, plus it's slim, yet big so very easy to see and touch.

around €300 though, so it's expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

My mrs got me a Tom Tom One XL last year and i love it.
    Ability to change voice is great for making journeys more fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

smemon wrote: »
    i got mine a garmin nuvi 610T, getting one for myself too :D

Reason being they have (apparently) the best maps for Ireland, the device also has bluetooth which will double nicely as a handsfree kit, plus it's slim, yet big so very easy to see and touch.

around €300 though, so it's expensive.

Would a cheaper version such as the nuvi 250W have the same maps as the 610T???

Its not the money as 300 seems reasonable to me but my dad is very tech backwards and things like bluetooth are just not needed by him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Vegeta wrote: »

Buy a 250W with European maps and you won't have to worry about that.
    Its not the money as 300 seems reasonable to me but my dad is very tech backwards and things like bluetooth are just not needed by him

You can see a comparison between the two models here:
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?compare=compare&compareProduct=6292&compareProduct=9121&cID=134

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

The 250w is a great alternative. Maps are as upto date or even more up to date depending on where you get it from. It's also very user friendly so he shouldn't have a problem using it :o

• Advertisement

DJ Hafez wrote: »
    Maps are as upto date or even more up to date depending on where you get it from

Where would you suggest to get the most up to date maps??

Where would you suggest to get the most up to date maps??

AFAIK pixmania have NT2008(version 10) preloaded. If you venture to a halfords after tuesday you may also get one with V10 but I could'nt be certain as we don't know what version 250ws are coming in

cheers dude

would be handy to get one with the most updated maps on it already

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

AFAIK pixmania have NT2008(version 10) preloaded. If you venture to a halfords after tuesday you may also get one with V10 but I could'nt be certain as we don't know what version 250ws are coming in

DJ, u know someone in the Mahon Point Halfords? If the 250WS are coming in with V10 I'll be there on Sat morn to get one. Would they open one up there and then to check and confirm?
    Thankfully heading back to the Rebel county for Christmas :D
    BTW, OP, I had a 250 up to recently, good solid unit with no great bells or whilstles to confuse a non techie. The 250 is a few quid cheaper than the 250WS but the wide screen may be easier to see.

DannyBuoy wrote: »
    DJ, u know someone in the Mahon Point Halfords? If the 250WS are coming in with V10 I'll be there on Sat morn to get one. Would they open one up there and then to check and confirm?
    BTW, OP, I had a 250 up to recently, good solid unit with no great bells or whilstles to confuse a non techie. The 250 is a few quid cheaper than the 250WS but the wide screen may be easier to see.

Unfortunately I'm working there:p If you ask any of the lads there should be no problem to open one up to check. I'll most likely know on thursday evening so I'll post if I know what V has come in :o

• Advertisement

Unfortunately I'm working there:p If you ask any of the lads there should be no problem to open one up to check. I'll most likely know on thursday evening so I'll post if I know what V has come in :o

That would be great, would appreciate that if you could, cheers.

So I ordered the Garmin 250W on pixmania and it arrived yesterday. It had the most up to date maps the NT 2008 ones or whatever the full name is.

I have a question about it though. Can you simulate a route. Can you enter a route and then get a psuedo car to drive along it at say double/tripple etc speed just to get an idea of where you are going before heading on the trip. If its not a feature on it then no big deal but just thought it a little weird that it cant do it.

I have a question about it though. Can you simulate a route.

To simulate a route, pess the tools button, then into settings and go into system. It'll show you the option for turning on and off the GPS simulator there. When it is on, go into the map view, tap where u would like to start from and then tap set location. It will then bring you on the route from where you select to your destination

We have about 14 250ws left so if you're getting one, come early!:D (V10 loaded)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Can you simulate a route. Can you enter a route and then get a psuedo car to drive along it at say double/tripple etc speed just to get an idea of where you are going before heading on the trip. it.

Should have got a Tomtom.

We have about 14 250ws left so if you're getting one, come early!:D (V10 loaded)

Done cheers!
    I see the Fermoy bypass is on it, wasn't on the earlier version. Only thing I haven't figured out yet is the map scale was always shown in the lower left corner of my last 250, its not shown at all with the 250W, strange...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Done cheers!
    I see the Fermoy bypass is on it, wasn't on the earlier version. Only thing I haven't figured out yet is the map scale was always shown in the lower left corner of my last 250, its not shown at all with the 250W, strange...

Could you tell me how much the 250W is going for in Halfords?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: no matter.. realized I could just phone them. It's €270 for those interested.

We sold out of them yesterday evening. The next batch will be in tommorow hopefully

Advertisement