Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Sockets

Options
  • 10-12-2007 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭

Guys,
    I need to move a couple of sockets due to a re-location of my hob in my kitchen.
    I have to chip away some space for the cages in the block work. Would I be there all day using a hammer and chisel? Is there a better, easily available tool for the job?

ta

P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭10-10-20

For such a job I'd stick to a narrow cold chisel, no point in getting a kango really.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭The \/\/anderer

cages? You mean back boxes i presume.

1) Offer the back box up to the desired location, and draw a line around it.
    2) Drill as many holes as possible to the required depth. (wrap some insulation tape around the drill bit to act as a guide)
    3) Use a chisel or bolster to remove the remaining brick.
    4) Secure the back box in place and fill any gaps with plaster to make good.

You'll probably need to run a chase for the cable too?

P.S. Make sure there are no cables buried where you intend to drill.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

thanks guys,
    cages? You mean back boxes i presume.
    yup, I mean back boxes.
    You'll probably need to run a chase for the cable too?
    I have an electrician taking care of the cables.
    Drill as many holes as possible to the required depth.
    Any particular size bit to use?

P

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭The \/\/anderer

Raam wrote: »
    Any particular size bit to use?

hmm not really, maybe try 6mm.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

good advice Wanderer,

Not a bad idea to drill some holes at an angle to link up the holes if you know what i mean.

would like to stress the importance of not hitting any pipes, gas lines or electrical cables, get your sprks to check this out for you, he'll draw in the chases for you after checking the runs out, he'll do anything to avoid chasing it himself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Stoner wrote: »
    he'll do anything to avoid chasing it himself

Never a truer word...

That's what I love about bank of thanks jobs, you invariably end up doing the dirty work yourself. As I rarely do paid foxers, it means I've gotten quite handy with a con-saw over the years;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Ah i know.
    Hate chasing, especially when just using a drill on chisel mode.

I have a wall chaser myself and it is the dogs B. Saves all the mess and dust.

One method I used in the past before the chaser was to use an 8-10mm SDS but with some elec tape on it to note the depth, then pepper the wall with it, and then get the hammer and bolster or chisel mode on the dewalt and chase the rest out.

As said above, can't stress enough to look out for other services like water, gas etc

Advertisement