Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is "normal" pain after a root canal?

• 10-12-2007 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭

Just looking to see if anyone else experiences this...

I had a root canal (molar) done a week ago. The pain was very severe for the next two days but I had expected that and nurofen plus kept me sane. By the third day the pain had subsided a fair bit but I felt ill... feverish etc. By Friday that had gone. Now one week has passed and I still feel a bit sore around the gum and again I kinda expect that.. it was a fairly big job (2 hours) so i guess it's not going to go away overnight and for the most part I can put up with it without painkillers. What is bothering me more though is that I have some pain right up my cheek, just below my eye and along the cheekbone. Again it's not agonising but is sore to touch and if I lie on that side or even leaning my head over to look down I feel it. Has anyone else had this after rct? I have a follow up appt at the end of the week so I know I'll get more answers then but if any one else has experienced this it's be nice to know how long it took you to get back to normal.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Hi did the dentist tell you to expect pain? Im going for my first root canal in a few days and have heard that it is very painful but my dentist says there will be no pain afterwards..only if I was in a lot of pain beforehand there might when I gave an example of someone I know who suffered pain...was the procedure it self painful?.be:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

i had route canal and it took about 10-12 days worth of antibiotics and subscribed pain killers for the headaches, mouthache and sensitive gum to fade away.
    even then i was still mildly uncomfortable for a further week. It's quite a traumatic thing.
    You need to take a lil bit of care of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 barett

I found it quite painful, too. I can't remember how long the whole thing took exactly, but the dentist did a good job - I was forbidden to smoke and to eat milk products for quite some time which I did anyway.
    I wasn't surprised when I found it hurting for about a week or so. Painkillers helping a lot, but ice was even better. So I would try to keep the whole area cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I had a difficult molar extraction a few months ago and it was 2-3 weeks before everything settled down and I stopped being aware of the extraction site.

Here's a tip - go to the chemist and ask for Difflam mouthwash. It's technically meant for throat infections but it contains an anaesthetic and swilling it around your mouth numbs everything. Of course you shouldn't swill anything around your mouth until the socket has started to heal, which takes a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I got root canal done about 4 years ago. Anyhow the stupid bitch left some of the nerve in the tooth. By the time the anaesthetic had worn off I was in absolute agony I mean screaming pain. I had to go to the hospital to get an injection and pain killers to stop it.

I went back the next day and got the rest of my nerve removed. Most painful experience of my life.

It will take a day or two for the pain to settle down for you...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

I had one (albeit a smaller one then yours with no pain/infection previously) 3 days ago and it still hurts a bit,dentist said it's to be expected for a few days since while the tooth can't hurt the tissue around it still contains nerves and will hurt.

Advertisement