Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearwire + Eircom router

Options
  • 10-12-2007 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

Hi there

On Friday afternoon Clearwire came and installed their modem into our new office (annoyingly the only option at present). It was close of business so I didn't get a chance to look at it, but the tech told us that we *wouldn't* be able to use our eircom wireless router with it (the one you can get in the starter pack from dixons etc)

Is this true? We have 4 pc's networked off this router (in our old premises the router plugged into the PC that was connected by USB to UTV internet)

Is it not possible to go Clearwire Modem>Eircom Wireless Router>network pc's?

I would have thought so, and would have just been plug and play, but the tech seemed insistent it wouldn't.

If not, what are my options? The Clearwire connects by ethernet, so do I need to stick an extra Ethernet card in the connected PC to feed the network?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

He's right, it won't work. Many have tried it on wireless and cable and failed. It will work for almost all the DSL providors though.

The Netopia only uses RJ11 (phone connection) for WAN (input) and will only look for an internet connection through that. You need a standard 4 port router with an RJ45 (ethernet) WAN connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Ah ok, cool, thanks for that.
    Could you recommend one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

OK, we found this router:
    g54 airstation buffalo broadband router

It's tech manual says it's rj45, how do I go about getting it running?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Linksys WRT54G would be a good choice too.

€59 on www.komplett.ie

Advertisement