Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

So i got one of those scam e-mails this morning

Options
  • 10-12-2007 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

So my car is advertised on adverts.ie and buyandsell and i got this e-mail this morning. Obviously seems like the old bank draft scam. (english number, no mention of car in email, etc.)

Should i even bother replying telling him to feck off?? Anything the authorities can do??

E-mail below:

Hello, I am Duncan and am interested in the vehicle you listed for sale and will want you to get back to me with your last bottom price and also send me a photo to see.
    Regards
    Mr. Duncan Richard
    Phone: +44**********
    Email: duncrichard3@********

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Whats the old Bank Draft Scam??

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭hotshots85

Yeah got one of those two from some scammer. Its the old trick where they agree to pay you for the car by bank draft, asking for your bank account details for it to be paid in. You'll never see the money and probably end up losing whatever is in you account, or even the car too if they bother collecting it.

I also know of a person that had agreed to ship the car across to engald for a buer liek this. They were paying by some kind of money transfer, possibly western union. When they checked they're account it appeared the money had been lodged i.e if the car was 20k, 22k was lodged in error. So the scammer then proceeds to ask to repay the 2k to their account. When he did this it turned out no money had been lodged into his account, the order was cancelled so left out of pocket 2k. Even ranf up the scammer he had been talking to and was told out straight that he does this to people everday of the week and would never be caught.

Stear clear of this, or string them along with random emails for a few days for some amusement , see can you get any info out of them without giving any. Just dont give them any personal details at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

HAve fun winding him up. That's what I've done, a few times now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Got a phone call last year from an english fella "your car is in very big demand in the UK" buyer wants to meet you in ireland" "just send us 100 euro to cover our costs and we'll put you in touch with the buyer who will charge asking price plus 1000 notes"

for a fiat brava??? COME ON?? Need a bit more imagination with that scam!

Advertisement