Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Give the gift of light this Christmas...

Options
  • 10-12-2007 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭

I'll be sticking this up in cycling, too, as well as sending it off to the local paper...

I am appealing to cyclists to light up and wear reflective vests during these long winter evenings. A lot of cyclists I meet on the road seem completely oblivious to the danger which they put themselves in, as drivers can't see them until the last second, even on partially lit city streets. A huge amount of these people also appear to believe that the smartest colour for them to wear is black, and that running a red light on a bike isn't in the least bit dangerous!

This problem is compounded by the number of cars on the road with only one functioning headlight. Only last night I met a taxi with only their right front headlight working, which he tried to rectify by using his front fog lights, of which only his left one worked! I do realise that not all car manufacturers make it easy for novices to change bulbs, and that few so-called service stations carry bulbs and fuses any more, but I do feel that it is worth going to some trouble to make sure that at least the lights on you car work. Bear in mind when you meet a one lighted car on the road; what else has the owner failed to service? The brakes, perhaps?

Then there is the ongoing argument about the drivers who insist on driving with their foglights (or as they describe them, "Driving Lights") on all of the time, and worse still those who use their forlights with their parking light instead of using their dims? What exactly can they see better? Do any of them bother checking to see that they aren't blinding everyone coming toward them?

Anyway, back to my point, giving the gift of light. If you know a cyclist who doesn't have a light on their bicycle, why not get them one? Front AND back if you're feeling really generous! And maybe one g thos luminous belts or vests?

Or for the driver in their Halfblind Cyclops, why not treat them to getting their light checked, and getting their burnt out bulbs and fuses replaced? And for our foggy friends, perhaps a couple of driving lessons, a copy of the rules of the road, and a bucket of cop on?

No matter which one you know, be, or which one you might meet on the road, may you all have a safe and happy Christmas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Fey! wrote: »
    Then there is the ongoing argument about the drivers who insist on driving with their foglights (or as they describe them, "Driving Lights") on all of the time, and worse still those who use their forlights with their parking light instead of using their dims? What exactly can they see better? Do any of them bother checking to see that they aren't blinding everyone coming toward them?

They only blind the people stupid enough to stare at the lights of oncoming cars, and not the road ahead of them.

Your letter starts off as a nice reminder to cyclists, and ends up being a tangential rant on all aspects of Motoring (Taxis, Service Stations, Foglights, Manufacturers of cars, partially lit streets!) making far too many points for anyone to digest and absorb. Try sticking to the subject of cyclists, and maybe it will be heard by a more willing audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

It' not just aimed at cyclists; they're not the only ones out there unlit.

I take your point about there being too many points, though; I put it up here before sending it off to get some feedback so that it might make people think, rather than it appearing as a rant. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ned78 wrote: »
    They only blind the people stupid enough to stare at the lights of oncoming cars, and not the road ahead of them.
    I don't know about other people on here, but my field of vision, when I'm looking at the road ahead, also includes the cars on the other side of the road, seeing as I don't suffer from tunnel vision. You don't need to be staring directly into them to be affected by the extra, and totally unnecessary glare caused by them.

Alun wrote: »
    I don't know about other people on here, but my field of vision, when I'm looking at the road ahead, also includes the cars on the other side of the road, seeing as I don't suffer from tunnel vision. You don't need to be staring directly into them to be affected by the extra, and totally unnecessary glare caused by them.

Of course you do! By not looking at the lights, they're in your peripheral vision which is unfocused, and as a result, doesn't cause glare. When I drive, I also take in everything on the road, but even if a car is coming towards me on the other side of a dual carraigeway with main/full beams on, it's easy to just ignore it by looking away and concentrating on the road ahead of you.

ned78 wrote: »
    Of course you do! By not looking at the lights, they're in your peripheral vision which is unfocused, and as a result, doesn't cause glare.
    Ah well, that's OK then ... I must be just imagining it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ahem; this isn't the "Don't look toward the light" thread; this one is designed to try and get a safety message across to people, and to edit the letter in the opening post to get that message across best.

So take the fight elsewhere please.

So take the fight elsewhere please.
    He started it :D

lol, guilty as charged m'lod!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Uggh ... why is a rant about cyclists in the motoring forum ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Well after nearly killing 2 pedestrians in an hour on Friday night they could definitly do with getting visi vests for Christmass! Who stands out at the edge of the road and the hard shoulder on a pitch black N route right where the hard shoulder ends for a junction!!

• Advertisement

craichoe wrote: »
    Uggh ... why is a rant about cyclists in the motoring forum ?

Did you actually read it the whole way through? Or is the point about the one-headlighted cars too subtle?

The hi-vis vests were mentioned in the cycling forum, too.

I'll be sticking this up in cycling, too, as well as sending it off to the local paper...

I am appealing to cyclists to light up and wear reflective vests during these long winter evenings. A lot of cyclists I meet on the road seem completely oblivious to the danger which they put themselves in, as drivers can't see them until the last second, even on partially lit city streets. A huge amount of these people also appear to believe that the smartest colour for them to wear is black, and that running a red light on a bike isn't in the least bit dangerous!

I believe the RSA covered this in full already
    http://www.rsa.ie/NEWS/News/RSA_Issues_Festive_Road_Safety_Appeal.html
    This problem is compounded by the number of cars on the road with only one functioning headlight. Only last night I met a taxi with only their right front headlight working, which he tried to rectify by using his front fog lights, of which only his left one worked! I do realise that not all car manufacturers make it easy for novices to change bulbs, and that few so-called service stations carry bulbs and fuses any more, but I do feel that it is worth going to some trouble to make sure that at least the lights on you car work. Bear in mind when you meet a one lighted car on the road; what else has the owner failed to service? The brakes, perhaps?

Well .. this is pretty obvious and illegal.

Daytime running lights and Foglights are two different things. Alot of motorcycles have the lights on by default when you turn them on and you only have the option to put them on full. A few countries have Daytime Running Lights as a legal requirement, i.e. they come on when you start the car and you can't turn them off.
    Anyway, back to my point, giving the gift of light. If you know a cyclist who doesn't have a light on their bicycle, why not get them one? Front AND back if you're feeling really generous! And maybe one g thos luminous belts or vests?

Where i live there are too many bicycles ;) and they have right of way over cars.
    Or for the driver in their Halfblind Cyclops, why not treat them to getting their light checked, and getting their burnt out bulbs and fuses replaced? And for our foggy friends, perhaps a couple of driving lessons, a copy of the rules of the road, and a bucket of cop on?

The cops stop you here with a blown light you have to change it at the roadside or its towaway time for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Daytime running lights and Foglights are two different things. Alot of motorcycles have the lights on by default when you turn them on and you only have the option to put them on full. A few countries have Daytime Running Lights as a legal requirement, i.e. they come on when you start the car and you can't turn them off.

Theres an obvious difference in intensity between DRLs and fog lamps; and the worst offenders for "leaving fogs on" (small, gutless, old cars with dodgy decals - add your own definition of this stereotype here...) are from before the era when DRLs were common.

Rear fogs are more of a problem than fronts, I find - the muppet with the front fogs on is gone quite quickly but you're behind the muppet with the rear ones on (and they definately AREN'T DRLs) for a lot longer.

Did I mention Daytime Running Lights AT ALL? As i said earlier, if that's what you want to moan about, please take it to a different thread, or start your own one.

Also, it's not a thread about the RSA.

It's a draft of a letter to local papers to try to get people to be seen, or to ensure that their friends are seen. Both cyclists and motorists. Is that a bad thing?

Did I mention Daytime Running Lights AT ALL? As i said earlier, if that's what you want to moan about, please take it to a different thread, or start your own one.

Also, it's not a thread about the RSA.

It's a draft of a letter to local papers to try to get people to be seen, or to ensure that their friends are seen. Both cyclists and motorists. Is that a bad thing?

Because its more about what p*sses you off than what issues there are on the road. At least the RSA did a bit of research, your writing a letter based on your experience of driving around and seeing the odd dipstick with his foglights on.

How many drivers have you seen with fogs on vs DRL ?

Do you have any numbers or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

I agree that cyclists should have some kind of reflective gear on outside of the lights on bicycles anyway. As for foglights, I think there are so many people out there who don't know what a fog light is let alone whether it is on or off !! its just another pretty red light on the dash !! Rear fog lights are a nuisance as they make it very hard to judge distance, and discern brakelights. They give me road rage mon !!

Because its more about what p*sses you off than what issues there are on the road. At least the RSA did a bit of research, your writing a letter based on your experience of driving around and seeing the odd dipstick with his foglights on.

How many drivers have you seen with fogs on vs DRL ?

Do you have any numbers or what.

ARRRGGGHHHH!

DRL - Daylight Running Lights; dipped lights used during the day.
    Fog Lights - exactly what it says on the tin; NOT DRLs.
    Driving Lights/Lamps - FOGLIGHTS as described somebody trying to justify driving around with their FOGLIGHTS on all the time.

Now go start your own thread and argue all you want.

Advertisement