Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Plastic tray under passat engine bay

Options
  • 10-12-2007 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi,

I ran over some rocks recently in my passat which dislodged the plastic tray under the engine and it eventually ripped off.
    Is this tray needed? Does it protect the the engine? Or is it there to make the engine look pretty?
    I don't mind replacing it just want to know how useful it is and how long I can get await without going to a mechanic

Thanks
    Darragh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Same got ripped off my mondeo about 3 years ago. I never replaced it. I think it is only for sound insulation because I don't think the petrol models ever had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭darraghsherwin

Mine is a petrol model, so I wonder does that make any difference?
    Thanks
    Darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Stops the engine bay getting dirty too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

not important tho...jus stops the engine gettin dirty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I'm pretty sure these things also have an effect on the aerodynamics of the car, which manufacturers love to quote (CdA: Coefficient of Drag x Area) as it has a direct effect on fuel consumption.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

You don't need it, falls off a load of cars, common thing really

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

Had it come off my old Passat... seem to remember it being cheap enough to replace. I'm fairly sure the garage sourced one from a scrappers....

I suppose it's not really needed, but it does stop all the crap bouncing up into the engine bay and doing something else...

I am down country roads a lot and gravel is forever being thrown up. I figured on replacing it as a preventitive measure...

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭darraghsherwin

I'll get it replaced next time it is in for a service, I was worried it might be important and I didn't want to be driving it around if it was going to be causing damage to the engine.
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

No, best thing is get a quote for the part now, they can be quite expensive I think. If you don't like the price you can get one in your own time then from a scrappie.
    The petrol models have them (obvious to you as you have petrol). The S4 I think has a different type, think it's from harder material, and some guys "upgrade" to this type.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The one on my (diesel) Passat came loose too recently (the mechanic hadn't secured it right after the service) but they bolted it back on properly 2 weeks later when i brought it up to them - you're lucky yours came straight off. Mine involved a call to the AA as it was dragging along the ground (and I was wearing a suit at the time).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It's a sound deadening/stone guard. It's not essential. Driving without it won't cause any direct damage, but it does keep debris from the road away from rotating parts like drive belts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Also keeps a few senors dry - the are notorious for coming off! mine is currently secured with enough cable ties to encirle the earth!!! its handy for knowing when im bottoming out on country roads as you can hear it rubbing :D

Advertisement