Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the FFs ever live back up to their outrageaously high rep.?

Options
  • 10-12-2007 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

K well its obvious that the majority of FF players will always refer back to FFVII and da like when talkin bout the best FF games. I myself found the main storyline in VIII to be harder and better but the question is will the future FF games every live up to the glory of these old classics?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The main storyline of FFVIII was absolute trash and probably the worst of teh whole series. I feel the series really has gone backwards since the amazing FFX (a much better game than FFVII tbph). The reason really is that the main team left for mistwalker and it's up to a completely new team to make the game. The new battle system put a lot of strain on the team and was responsible for the numerous delays and the rushed feeling of the final game. Hopefully the team has found it's feet. That team can make great games, they were responsible for the excellent Vagrant Story. Hopefully they find their feet with the next game. What I would like is an FF game that feels like the old FF games and not a successor to Vagrant Story. I would liked to have seen a refinement of FFX's already brilliant battle system without any random battles.

Of course there are always the Mistwalker games to look forward to, they are more like FF games than the last few in the main series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 TheBigBiscuit

I myself found the main storyline in VIII to be harder and better

but yeah... ten was good, i cried a little inside after X-2 though and nine kinda seemed light hearted or something although it was still fun to play! I like the old setup but its like the people at square are trying to change it too much, I never got around to playing Vagrant Story unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Can i be dangerous and say i MUCH preferred X & VIII to VII

Discuss....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

armour87 wrote: »
    Can i be dangerous and say i MUCH preferred X & VIII to VII

Discuss....

FFX I can understand. FFVIII, you are just sick and wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

VI a strong contender for best game of all time.

VIII some fun not bad

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Well, I am sick.

I would have to say VIII too, it was the first FF i played so naybe there is an element of sentimentality to it, no denying VII was brilliant but everyone thinks its easily the best... that i can't agree with:(

TY BigBiscuit. I found 8 2 b faultless, except for the story but the game as a whole was a very enjoyable 100 hours of my summer inside.

Faultless. How about the horrendous storyline, cheesey and annoying characters that annoy you no end so you end up feeling no sympathy for them, lvoe story elements were dire, dreadful drawing and junctioning system that was tedious and was very easy to break the game with and woeful bad guys that that just kept popping up in the storyline for no particular reason.

Still the game was some how a lot of fun, which is more htan can be said about FFXII.

Anyway there's no beating FFVI for best ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

gosh!!i am glad nobody mention my point of view!!:)

tell ya guys,FF series is living as another form on x360(sadly) !!named:LOst Odyssey!!

the fighting system is great(very tactical they say,not like those dumb lvl up ftw from X,i like FFXII,kinda challenging,but yazimat upset me,4days for a boss?retard me),story is touching(yes,a side quest can make your tears drop again),music is crazily good!!i am really looking for it!!!

most important,there is a trailer of LO out there...search trailer 5 on youtube...i am stunned!!it's like FF6 in 3D!!!(i miss the character design tho,but the new artist is quite famous as well,very good comic,i could recommend it if you read Japanese or Chinese....)the music is f**king brilliant!!!and the game seems take place like a world in FF6 as well(for some of you may notice the uniqueness of FF6/9 to the others)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Of course there are always the Mistwalker games to look forward to, they are more like FF games than the last few in the main series.

Can you list a few games as im looking for games similar to old FF style

VII was the first I played & loved that game, storyline, esp chasing weapon around world before defeating it, chocobo racing, whole game is excellant.
    I liked VIII & the whole garden scenario & refining the cards to get kick ass weaons.
    IX just couldnt get into at all
    X loved blitzball & storyline
    X-2 dress spheres??? whole game was pile of W**K
    XII struggling to get into.

I also did the most stupidest thing ever, I gave away VII & VIII to a kid who had "lost" his. At the time I didnt realise how much id miss them :(

Keith C wrote: »
    I gave away VII & VIII to a kid who had "lost" his. At the time I didnt realise how much id miss them :(

yeah ha i had VII a few years back and lent it to sum1.... about 4 years ago i went around looking for it in the shops but nowhere to be seen, i even bought it online but got the american version ha! if any1 knows a site where i can get it please let me know:D

Well I could go on all day.

Xbox 360:

Blue Dragon: If you like FFV you will love this. Great game but don't expect much story. Made by most of the original team behind FFX and below.

Eternal Sonata: Fantastic RPG, well worth getting.

Coming Soon: Lost Odyssey looks absolutely amazing, very FF especially considering it came from the same team behind Blue Dragon. Infinite Undiscovery looks great, it's a tri-ace game so won't be affected by the square enix root.

Playstation 3

White Knight Story is the only one I'm looking forward to. It's by level 5 who haven't produced an RPG thats less than amazing.

PSP

Final Fantasy Tactics is wonderful, stay away from the GBA tactics games. If you can import get the wonderful Jeanne D'Arc by Level 5 and Brave Story.

Playstation 2

The two level 5 games are brilliant Dragon Quest VIII and Rogue Galaxy.

Suikoden 5 is great although it takes about 5 hours before the game really gets going. When it does it's one of the best RPGs in years.

Grandia 2 really shouldn't be missed.

Loads I'm forgetting here.

PS1

Grandia 1, like the sequel only better

Suikoden 1 and 2: 1 is great, 2 is probably one of the best stories told in a videogame but it's extremely hard to find.

There's other Squaresoft games as well including Vagrant Story, Xenogears and Front Mission 3

If you have a Sega Saturn you can't miss out on the JRPG daddy, Panzer Dragoon Saga. There's been no better JRPG since imo.

Well I could go on all day.

[Playstation 2

The two level 5 games are brilliant Dragon Quest VIII and Rogue Galaxy.

Suikoden 5 is great although it takes about 5 hours before the game really gets going. When it does it's one of the best RPGs in years.

Grandia 2 really shouldn't be missed.

Loads I'm forgetting here.

[

great post

is the €15.49 dragonquest here, the same as dragon quest VIII below??

http://www.play.com/Search.aspx?searchtype=PS2&searchstring=dragon+quest&page=search&pa=search

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

great post

is the €15.49 dragonquest here, the same as dragon quest VIII below??

http://www.play.com/Search.aspx?searchtype=PS2&searchstring=dragon+quest&page=search&pa=search

Yeah it is. Nice price actually.

Sweet I think ill go with that, it was £34 on www.thehut.com :eek:

Edit: £36

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

(

If you can get your hands on it, The Legend of Dragoon for the PSX was a brilliant old style rpg, its a bit hard to get though as its very old now.

If you've a psp then go for Tales of Eternia, a surpisingly good rpg with a really neat battle system. Also Crisis Core, the rpg prequel to FFVII is coming out at some stage next year and the reviews so far are good.

The Kingdom Hearts games, on the PS2 are really good too. While the addition of some of the FF characters is a bit gimmicky, it actually has a good storyline and good gameplay (the first one anyway, the second one has contextual button pressing which makes it way too easy)

I'd definitely get Dragon Quest VII though, brilliant game, quite challenging but loads of fun.

I'd have to recommend against Legend of Dragoon. Awful boring battle system, terrible plot and boring characters. Not worth tracking down imo.

Kingdom Hearts 1 is a brilliant game. Not really an RPG it's more like Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden with levelling up and can be quite tough at times. Kingdom Hearts 2 is decent but is a big step back from the first game, it's too easy and it's lost a lot of it's magic.

Tales of Eternia is wonderful along with all the tales games. If you have a Gamecube or Wii the absolute best in that series is Tales of Symphonia and you really shouldn't miss out on that wonderful game. Might be tough to track down but it's more than worth it.

And again, I can't recommend Dragon Quest VIII highly enough, decent cartoony story, huge quest, wonderful characters, loads of well written and acted laugh out loud moments, fully orchestrated sountrack and a battle system that gets deeper and deeper the more you play.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

+1 that! on armor87!!

FFX didn't it for me. Got lost in that game altogether. Defnitely in my top 3 of all time games! I loved FF8 too.... XII was a shocking disappointment

It doesn't look like they'll ever been to that standard ever again :(:(:(

And again, I can't recommend Dragon Quest VIII highly enough, decent cartoony story, huge quest, wonderful characters, loads of well written and acted laugh out loud moments, fully orchestrated sountrack and a battle system that gets deeper and deeper the more you play.

Have ordered Dragon Quest from play for €15.49, have kingdom hearts, got to a certain stage then got stuck, cant remember what world it was but stopped playing, might start it up again for the craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

FFIV - still haven't finished it. Got to the giant of babil but I've got a whole lot of levelling up to do... The leaving cert mocks wasn't the best time to start on that game... What I played was very good though.

FFV - The battle/ability system was one of the best, right up there with FFVII. While the story was obviously somewhat lacking I enjoyed all the sidequests, and it was certainly memorable (esp Gilgamesh).

FFVI - Definitely the best on the snes. Characters - great. Music - great. Kefka - One of the top 3 FF antogonists, possible the best.

FFVII - My first FF and still probably my favourite. Story was the best of the lot. Character development was great. Materia. Sephiroth. Music(interrupted by fireworks, j-e-n-o-v-a, birth of a god, you can hear the cry of the planet... really solid soundtrack). Lossa stuff. Amazing

FFVIII - Just outside my top 3. I seriously liked this game a lot. Moombas were class. Music was excellent. I liked laguna's story a lot and there was some amazing music too (the mission, fragments of memories, truth). Ultimecia was balls though. But her castle was cool.

FFIX - Right up there with FFVII. I didn't get into it when it first came out, but I gave it another blast last june (during leaving cert) and I REALLY loved it. Much more balanced and solid than FFVIII. The soundtrack was better aswell, on par with that of FFVII . Kuja is right up there with kefca. Ozma was highly satisfying to beat. Just a great FF.

FFX (finally getting on topic) - bollocks. I really disliked this game. Everything felt so superficial and contrived... The story was crap (that religious stuff was just ****ing annoying). The voice acting was abysmal. The characters were dull (Tidus was a queer, Yuna was just boring, Wakka - was wakka, Auron's character felt very contrived. He didn't really achieve what he was meant to be in my oppinion. Rikku and Lulu were alrightish...). Seymour was the worst antogonist yet. The music was a major step down (probably due to less Nobuo, Still a few good tunes, like Via Purifico)

I also bought FFX-2 recently cos it was cheap. Haven't gotten into it at all. I like the reprisal of the Job system from FFV/earlier ff's. The character designs were kinda cool aswell I suppose. That kinda stuff belongs more in a game like Sin and Punishment though...

I'm still waiting for FFXII to go down in price. Anyone know how much it is at the moment? I'll probably pick it up in january.

That's probably where I'll stop to be honest. I don't have a PS3 and I don't see myself getting one unless I see a future FF turning the current state of things right around.

On a side note, my copy of FFVIII broke a few years ago, so I got a japanese friend to pick up a copy for me from japan a few months ago. I'm trying to use an emulator for it so can anyone reccommend me a good one that can play japanese format games?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

kawaii wrote: »

FFVIII - Just outside my top 3. I seriously liked this game a lot. Moombas were class. Music was excellent. I liked laguna's story a lot and there was some amazing music too (the mission, fragments of memories, truth). Ultimecia was balls though. But her castle was cool.

yes...simply undeniable...FF8 's music is one of top in FF series...maybe same as FFT...FF6...gah...i am so lucky i have all the soundtrack:D

was listening more than 5hours merely on Eyes on Me at that time!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

kawaii wrote: »
    FFIX - Right up there with FFVII. I didn't get into it when it first came out, but I gave it another blast last june (during leaving cert) and I REALLY loved it. Much more balanced and solid than FFVIII. The soundtrack was better aswell, on par with that of FFVII . Kuja is right up there with kefca. Ozma was highly satisfying to beat. Just a great FF.

FFX (finally getting on topic) - bollocks. I really disliked this game. Everything felt so superficial and contrived... The story was crap (that religious stuff was just ****ing annoying). The voice acting was abysmal. The characters were dull (Tidus was a queer, Yuna was just boring, Wakka - was wakka, Auron's character felt very contrived. He didn't really achieve what he was meant to be in my oppinion. Rikku and Lulu were alrightish...). Seymour was the worst antogonist yet. The music was a major step down (probably due to less Nobuo, Still a few good tunes, like Via Purifico)

How can you prefer IX over X? Hell how can you like IX at all, it was terrible. Terrible skill system (you learn them from the weapons?), none of the characters had personality except Vivi (probably my fav FF character of all, ironically). Terrible villians (?Seymour kind of reminded me of Kuja, so I don't know how you love one and hate the other). And mostly crap mini games, (the card game in IX seemed to be completely random in IX, it had no proper rules).
    The only good parts in IX nine where the FMVs with the summons in them (Odin, Bahamut, Alexander, really cool scenes) and Vivi's storyline (which they then butchered and made into Zidanes storyline)

X had a brilliant levelling up system, good storylines overall for each character (okay, some of the characters are annoying eg Tidus, but the overall storylines are good), a good villian (in Sin), one of the best minigames in a Final Fantasy (Blitzball)

Think FFX is a far stronger game than FFVII. The story wad excellent and didn't feel rushed. Battle system was the best yet. Soundtrack was brilliant (actually think a lot of uematsu's work on this ost was the weakest). Characters other than Tidus who was a little weak were great with nice subtlies. I especially love how Wakka gets over his racism of the al bhed through his friendship with rikku.

Thought FFIX was an amazing game. Very like the old FF's and 4 character battles were back. Story was a biy weak but no were near the monstrosity in VII. Characters were absolutely brilliant imho especially Vivi. Thought it was just heaps of fun.

Ok i know this is completely unrelated and you've probably seen it b4 but tell me this isnt funny...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQqhH2DGQsw

:D:D:D:D:D

Advertisement