Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game of the year

Options
  • 10-12-2007 2:44pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Article
    Bioshock got the Game of the year award which is fine by me. I'm really not too sure about their choice of Dirt for best driving game though, that has to be wrong surely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The Orange Box is my favourite of the year. Honourable mention goes to Super Mario Galaxy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mario Galaxy for me but the sheer value for money that is Orange Box almost took it. If portal was an 8 hour game it would be a different story.

The best multiplayer award to Halo 3 is a joke. Team Fortress 2 and Call of Duty 4 make a mockery of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

COD 4 for me.
    And i agree whilst i had great fun with DiRt , PGR4 beats it by a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i don't think portal would of been as great as it was if it was double it's length.

the beauty about it was it knew when to stop, but still has the extra playability with the challenges and also with half life series having a strong modding community i'm sure map packs will be released.

going to pick up mario galaxy soon when all assignments are finished which is next friday :)

bioshock getting game of the year to me is a travesty, it's a standard shooter that just ripped the whole system shock series off and brought it to the mainstream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Cremo wrote: »

bioshock getting game of the year to me is a travesty, it's a standard shooter that just ripped the whole system shock series off and brought it to the mainstream.

And thats a bad thing why?
    If SS2 is so great, whats so terrible about a game created by its original developers, using it for inspiration for a brand new IP? Seriously, ffs, it would be worse if they decided to use daikatana for inspiration. Bioshock may not be the most original game but its story, setting, gameplay and characters are sublime so who gives a **** if it copies some game from 1999 that 90% of people who bought bioshock probably never played?

[/rant]

Goty for myself, jeez i dont think i can pick jsut one this year, its too hard. Between Halo 3, Bioshock and possibly the darkness. EP2 is great but i just never think of it as being a full game because of the shortnes sof it. Portal i think was good but overrated.
    Also id disagree with pgr4 beating Dirt, i like both games but the awful difficulty spikes in pgr4 put me off it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

0ubliette wrote: »
    possibly the darkness.

There's not possibly about it for me. The game was a rancid puddle of **** and one of the worst games I've played in a very long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Pffft!
    Who needs the spike (?) game awards when you can make your own vote count in the boards.ie game awards!

And I also loved the Darkness, but given the huge divide of opinion on it, I can't see it winning GotY anywhere...

(Mass Effect, followed closely by Mario Galaxy and Portal for my GotY btw...)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

But SS2 was so much better than Bioshock, so, other than the graphics, it was a lesser knock off. It was still good, but by no means the game of the year, IMO.

There's so many to choose from. It'd be a toss up between the Witcher, which I thought had a great story, great atmosphere, gratuitous sex and violence (I'm easily amused), or Portal, which was just a fantastic breath of fresh air.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

I have to say I don't think Galaxy deserves so much credit. I have the game and Im on 70 stars but I cant put it anywhere near my favourite games like HL2, Res4, Halos,

it feels & looks old.

The wii is a dissapointment 4 me with the xception of the virtual console.

Saying all that, Galaxy is very enjoyable and a must for Mario heads but I just want more from the wii. As it stands Wii sports is still its killer app!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's not possibly about it for me. The game was a rancid puddle of **** and one of the worst games I've played in a very long time.

Fair enough, but it had some of the best acting, (jackie, jenny, uncle paulie) memorable scenes (who can forget sitting on the sofa with jenny watching tv? And the first ever first person kiss that didnt look laughably ridiculous?) the nightmare WW1 setting that had more atmosphere than alot of other games released this year..i could go on. Personally id rate it higher than current xbox darling COD 4, which is IMO, the GOTY alright...as in, most overrated game of the year. Its a game, liek MOH:A, that tries to put a new spin on the FPS genre, and tho it doesnt always succeed, its successes more than make up for its failings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

humanji wrote: »
    But SS2 was so much better than Bioshock, so, other than the graphics, it was a lesser knock off. It was still good, but by no means the game of the year, IMO.

There's so many to choose from. It'd be a toss up between the Witcher, which I thought had a great story, great atmosphere, gratuitous sex and violence (I'm easily amused), or Portal, which was just a fantastic breath of fresh air.

Is SysShock2 better? I think we're all just clouded by memories here. Yes it was and is a brilliant game but we need to face some facts about it. The graphics aren't great, the difficulty level was obscene at times and the later levels seem rushed and unfinished.

In my opinion BioShock take all of the elements that made SS2 great,takes out the bad bits, adds a few more and then ramps up the experience with stellar graphics, an amazing story and the best voice acting around. On top of that its only the second game to feature a believable Irish accent!

I think it deserves GotY hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well the graphics were great for the time. You can hardly, fairly compare that. In several years time Bioshock is going to look dated too. But the gameplay and the atmosphere was incredibly. Biochock just takes these ideas and puts them in a different location. I finished Bioshock and I doubt I'll ever go back to it. I've finished System Shock a couple of times and I still go back to it.

0ubliette wrote: »
    Fair enough, but it had some of the best acting, (jackie, jenny, uncle paulie) memorable scenes (who can forget sitting on the sofa with jenny watching tv? And the first ever first person kiss that didnt look laughably ridiculous?) the nightmare WW1 setting that had more atmosphere than alot of other games released this year..i could go on. Personally id rate it higher than current xbox darling COD 4, which is IMO, the GOTY alright...as in, most overrated game of the year. Its a game, liek MOH:A, that tries to put a new spin on the FPS genre, and tho it doesnt always succeed, its successes more than make up for its failings.

COD 4 has one thing over the darkness other than the graphics. It was fun to play. The darkness was an absolute dog of a game and the decent acting or atmosphere can't save it. The story was emo pish as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

The best multiplayer award to Halo 3 is a joke. Team Fortress 2 and Call of Duty 4 make a mockery of it.

QFT my man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭j0e

The wii is a dissapointment 4 me QUOTE]
    agreed i bought it at release kept it till october but then had enough, in the end sold it and bought a xbox and never looked back, game of the year id say should be cod4 it proves that well designed is the fundamental point in any game also the graphix rock. This game alone has made 2 of my flatmates get 360s. Biggest disappointment id say would be paper mario

edit: just read the catogories biggest pile of ****e ever, best military game? but no best sports game which imo would have went to skate

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

LoTRO was probably the no1 for me (although i bored after the stupid level 50cap),Orange box a close 2nd and Crysis/CoD 4 third

Oh and Albatross18 S3 for freeware

edit:Bioshock i cant comment on but SS2 was up there with Deus Ex in the classic department , if its a rip off on that well that a good thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

j0e wrote: »
    The wii is a dissapointment 4 me QUOTE]
    agreed i bought it at release kept it till october but then had enough, in the end sold it and bought a xbox and never looked back, game of the year id say should be cod4 it proves that well designed is the fundamental point in any game also the graphix rock. This game alone has made 2 of my flatmates get 360s. Biggest disappointment id say would be paper mario

edit: just read the catogories biggest pile of ****e ever, best military game? but no best sports game which imo would have went to skate

Why wait for almost a year and then sell it when Metroid Prime 3 and Mario Galaxy are about to come out?:confused:

and skate. was utter ****e, abso****inglutely terrible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I vote COD4 on PC as my game of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Torn between Halo 3, CoD4 and Rogue Galaxy. Halo 3 has the edge in multi-player, but Rogue Galaxy is the best Jap RPG in 10 years. Probably Rogue Galaxy, just.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Release of this Rogue Galaxy over here in the works?

Never heard of it.

What platform?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

tman wrote: »

and skate. was utter ****e, abso****inglutely terrible!

Quoted for painful truth. Never has a game irritated in such uncompromising ways. Maybe it just caught me on a bad day, but everytime I ran into one of those goddamn curbs I wanted to yell expletives loudly. Im all for realism, but skate. annoyed the hell out of me, and it can bail in EA's special, uber-flamey levels of hell.

As for game of the year, BioShock was great so not too many complaints there. Of course, the entire contents of The Orange Box and Super Mario Galaxy were better, but at least a worthy contender took the title. All these lists though are far too contentious, and Ive learned not to get worked up about them. Except the Spike awards of course, which can join skate. down yonder.

And lollers at Retr0 and his ravenous outbursts everytime the Darkness is mentioned :p
    (I rather liked it)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Loved The Darkness too, really got into it.

Your opinion is wrong retro :D

COD 4 has one thing over the darkness other than the graphics. It was fun to play. The darkness was an absolute dog of a game and the decent acting or atmosphere can't save it. The story was emo pish as well.

yeah those respawning enemies and their magic hand grenades that can land at your feet from a mile away are a ****ing paragon of gaming fun. Not to mention the wholly original and completely compelling storyline of Russians collaborating with arabs to bring down the free world with DOUBLE YA EMM DEES!! Tom Clancy himself would've been embarrassed by it

Well the darkness didn't exactly have a great story either. It was just a terrible revenge story with a main character with a case of the tentacles and some awful WW1 horror levels to increase the emo.

As for the combat, I can live with enemies with accurate grenades. What I can't stand are enemies with AI so dumb that it belongs in a world before Wolfenstein 3D. Creep right up to a bad guy with your tentacles and the proclaim 'WTF!' and stand there for 5 minutes ignoring the creepy tentacles until you get bored and rip their hearts out. The weapons are piss poor and are practically useless, only good for taking out lights which you do for 90% or the game and the majority of darkness powers are just as useless. the darklings seem to only exist to get stuck in the scenery because they never killed one bad guy for me. Enemies are just the same generic thugs over and over but even though CoD 4 has the same problem it makes up for it with a variety of different and unique set pieces while the darkness provides bad guys standing in plain view taking pot shots without ever looking for cover.

I'd rather play a game with some semblence of fun instead of a light bulb shooting sim which is the gaming equivalent of chinese water torture. It remains the only game I've bought that was so bad that I traded it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

armour87 wrote: »
    Release of this Rogue Galaxy over here in the works?

Never heard of it.

What platform?

It came out on the PS2 during the Autumn. It's by the same team that made the Dark Cloud games and Dragon Quest VIII - highly recommonded.

While I'm at it, I'd have to throw Puzzle Quest in there too as GoTY material - I've probably spent more time playing it than any other game this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Game of the year for me was the first game i played this year, Zelda Twilight Princess. God of War 2 a close second.

I'm sure the last game i play this year Mario Galaxy could top it yet! Cant open it until the 25th.

Portable game of the year for me would definetly be Anno 1701 for the DS.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

It came out on the PS2 during the Autumn. It's by the same team that made the Dark Cloud games and Dragon Quest VIII - highly recommonded.

Don't think they made DQVIII. That was Square Enix, Level 5 developed Rogue Galaxy. Havn't played it anyway. After trying to enjoy FF12 for 4 hours i may be off JRPG's for life.

It is better than FF 12 isn't it? Might get it for xmas if someone can tell me that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Zelda was a hot contender for last year, wasn't it?
    humanji wrote:

this was what i was trying to say more so than anything else. Bioshock brought nothing really new to the table except good graphics and a decent enough story line and there were better contenders for GOTY.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Bioshock would probably be in my top 3 for the year, but I think my GOTY would have to be Mass Effect.

• Advertisement

Well the darkness didn't exactly have a great story either. It was just a terrible revenge story with a main character with a case of the tentacles and some awful WW1 horror levels to increase the emo.

Cause there were so many emo's in WW1?
    Believe it or not the darkness did have a pretty good story and if youd played it to the end youd have seen it also had a fantastic ending. Fair enough if you didnt get on with it but saying its completely **** is just wrong.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages4/927014.asp

The game has some fo the best characters in a game, incredibly well acted (for a game) and memorable set pieces (stalking the halls of the boat stabbing people with the tentacles was just evil) and it has mike patton, which instantly makes it cooler than 99% of anything else released this year. I just find it sad when generic 'terrorist-em-up's' like cod4, which is mroe or less identical to every previous cod game, gets wanked all over and something a bit new or different like the darkness gets the bums rush.

Advertisement