Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game of the year

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Chumpski wrote: »
    Don't think they made DQVIII. That was Square Enix, Level 5 developed Rogue Galaxy. Havn't played it anyway. After trying to enjoy FF12 for 4 hours i may be off JRPG's for life.

It is better than FF 12 isn't it? Might get it for xmas if someone can tell me that.

Level 5 made DQVIII for Square. It even uses the same engine as Rogue Galaxy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭jasonbourme.cs

have played most of the big name games this year

Halo 3 . singleplayer was good nice graphics , multiplayer nothing too original , more of the same from the halo team .

Bioshock . really enjoyed this game . but really couldnt be @rsed playing more than once , would have liked a multiplayer for this using plasmid in DM would have been cool

COD4 , loved the single player ( despite the rediculas story ) , admittedly played it/cleared it on veteran so have full appreciation for the game as it was intended to be played not the n00bs who ran through it on easy in 5 hours . multiplayer is awesome the whole unlock system giving added incentive for online play

would defo have to go with COD4 for GOTY . Mario Galaxy a very close second .

id say rockband might have toppled either of those choices as number 1 or 2 if they'd get their finger out and release it in europe !!!!! :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I wouldn't argue with Bioshock really but it wasn't just inspired by SS2 it was virtually a carbon copy. I can think of very few aspects of Bioshock that weren't taken almost as was in SS2. Oh they did change it so you didn't have to turn on the regeneration booths. By all means take your inspiration from a classic game but ffs try and advance it a bit. It had a great concept and well realised world and I did enjoy it. It just irked me how much of it reminded me of SS2 but as has been said I would be in the minority. At the end of the day I think it says alot about games that Bioshock is a GOTY using ideas that were developed 7 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

i'd go with cod4 personally for sheer fun

the darkness was a joke of a game to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

j0e wrote: »
    Biggest disappointment id say would be paper mario

wait, WHAT?
    are you mad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I played Bioshock and really enjoyed it. GOTY? I do not know i havent played many games this year, id probably say the witcher was better but im only into the first 2 or 3 hours of gameplay.
    On the topic of SS2, i replayed SS2 a year or 2 ago with the high resolution texture pack thing and the game was totally great again, and i thought on second time round could be one of the best games ever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

0ubliette wrote: »
    Cause there were so many emo's in WW1?
    Believe it or not the darkness did have a pretty good story and if youd played it to the end youd have seen it also had a fantastic ending. Fair enough if you didnt get on with it but saying its completely **** is just wrong.

I did finish it and still thought the ending and story were awful. The only thing that kept me playing was how amazing I heard the ending was and the fact that it was mercifully short. What I got from the ending was a series of scripted sequences with no player control showing how the game really should have been and mike patton spout absolute rubbish.

I'm going to stop talking about the darkness now because that game just riles me up the wrong way.

I'd also whole heartidly recommend Dragon Quest VIII to any RPG fan. It's a far better game than FFXII. Haven't gotten around to playing more than 15 minutes of Rogue Galaxy but if it's as good as DQVIII and the other level 5 game Jeanne D'Arc then it should be excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

My choices for GOTY would be: Bioshock, Portal, Mario Galaxy.

Halo 3, no way cause it's just more of the same in every way with no real innovation (don't care about making movies or forge) and the single player wasn't brilliant.

COD4 was more of the same as well, but it's just done so much better than the previous games and halo for that matter. And they have innovated in multiplayer by bringing in the leveling system tied to unlocking bonuses. It's just a lot more fun to play than halo, in single and multiplayer.

Mass Effect was excellent in terms of style and presenting the story, loses points for graphics problems (not really it's fault though), being too easy towards the end, and being a lot more linear than it was pretending to be.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I haven't played Bioshock yet but I hope it's nothing like System Shock 2, which I thought was appalling. After seeing it in so many "best pc games ever" lists I bought it for some ridicolous price off Ebay. I got right to the end but just realised it was a chore rather than something to be enjoyed.
    I sold it again on ebay for a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

jayteecork wrote: »
    I haven't played Bioshock yet but I hope it's nothing like System Shock 2, which I thought was appalling.

SS2 was amazing for it's time in terms of storytelling, depth and presenting a complete and convincing world.

Bioshock is amazing now for those same reasons. It does play in some ways like SS2 with a new skin, but they've made a lot of improvements in terms of gameplay and story telling. Some people complained that Bioshock was dumbed down, but they were really just complaining about the absence of things that were in system shock 2 that they said provided depth but were really just a pain in the ass (like weapon degradation or inventory management),

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Gotta be the Orange Box by a large margin, or more specifically Portal, though TF2 is growing on me more and more as I continue to play it.

Other contenders for me would be Ratchet & Clank, Assassin's Creed, Heavenly Sword, Crackdown and Mass Effect.

I don't agree with most of the games that seem to be scooping all the awards this year to be honest. Bioshock got boring after a couple of hours and I couldn't be bothered going back to it, COD4 is solid but it's just another war game, Mario Galaxy is brilliant in some ways but the core of the game, the controls and camera, are a pain compared to the superior mechanics of Ratchet & Clank I'd been playing beforehand. And Halo 3 is totally over-rated, but then everyone's realised that by now, as I discovered by the rubbish trade in value for it in Game last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

steviec wrote: »
    And Halo 3 is totally over-rated, but then everyone's realised that by now, as I discovered by the rubbish trade in value for it in Game last week.

You probably got a rubbish trade in value because 1) there's a lot of copies of it floating about and 2) Gamestop give rubbish trade ins .

Sure the singleplayer is overrated, but the multiplayer is incredibly addictive and easy to play. And it is THE Xbox flagship title. It's hard to imagine another game being as big as this one. And before people point to GTAIV, I mean games that are solely for the XBOX 360.
    Gotta be the Orange Box by a large margin, or more specifically Portal, though TF2 is growing on me more and more as I continue to play it.

Maybe but a good portion of Orange Box is a game from three years ago. And the other games are a bit short to stand up on their own.

I enjoyed Bioshock but it was hardly as revolutionary as some people made it out to be. It was a a LOT like System Shock 2 except revamped for the next generation. It did have a compelling storyline though. But I doubt I'll be playing it again no matter how much DLC (extra plasmids etc) they release for it. I will be buying Bioshock 2 though ;)

And as for Assassin's Creed.

Most overrated game of the year would be a more fitting award.

No-one seems to have mentioned Mass Effect yet. I haven't played it yet but from what I've read, it seems like a contender.

Advertisement