Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf R32 - Opinions?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

SuprSi wrote: »
    Just wondering what people's opinions of the Golf R32 are? 4WD, 250bhp, 3.2 V6 engine - about as good looking as a Golf can be. Anyone own one?

For those of you unfamiliar with it;

http://www.desktopmachine.com/framepic.php?id=4736&size=1024

Seriously dont think it is worth the money, I have a GTI an have driven the R32.Its a petrol guzzler and with the new tax changes its going to be expensive to run.
    Seriously if you want that power just get a GTI and get it re mapped for approx 500 and you will get close to an R32.I wouldnt spend an extra 10k for afew more bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

drdre wrote: »
    wouldnt spend an extra 10k for afew more bhp.

You also get 4*4 - which should be well worth the extra few bob, particularly in wet Ireland.

To be fair I have read a few reviews that state the GTi is so good it makes the R32 fairly pointless.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    You also get 4*4 - which should be well worth the extra few bob, particularly in wet Ireland.

To be fair I have read a few reviews that state the GTi is so good it makes the R32 fairly pointless.

I know what you mean by the 4x4 , But 10k :rolleyes: ,Why not go for something different as i would never ever pay around 45-50k for a plain old golf.The main thing is the engine other wise its really a basic golf with afew changes like exhaust etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

like drdre I own a GTI and have driven a R32 and couldn't justify the extra loot to buy it.

whippet wrote: »
    like drdre I own a GTI and have driven a R32 and couldn't justify the extra loot to buy it.

Thanks for backing me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

GTi owner here. I couldn't justify it, but that could be just my budget. 4 wheel drive might be a clincher! Great looks as well...

Just depends how rich you are I guess!

lightening wrote: »
    GTi owner here. I couldn't justify it, but that could be just my budget. 4 wheel drive might be a clincher! Great looks as well...

Just depends how rich you are I guess!

It does really depend on money but seriously couldnt justify spending 50k on a R32, Id prefer 50k on a new 3 series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

the new tax and VRT rates will kill it as a new purchase in this country. I think it falls into the 2k per annum road tax :eek:
    But if you can get a slightly used one, you won't have that problem!

craichoe wrote: »

I really like the S3, It has to be in white with some carbon fibre extras :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

drdre wrote: »
    with the new tax changes its going to be expensive to run.
    It will not be any different if the OP gets one before July 08. Not that they're cheap to tax anyway, as they're in the highest band on the old (current) system.

I'd prefer to spend 50k on a DC5 (quicker than an R32 and way better looking) + a sun holiday + plasma TV + Blu ray surround system + a new laptop + PS3 + ...

JHMEG wrote: »
    It will not be any different if the OP gets one before July 08. Not that they're cheap to tax anyway, as they're in the highest band on the old (current) system.

I'd prefer to spend 50k on a DC5 (quicker than an R32 and way better looking) + a sun holiday + plasma TV + Blu ray surround system + a new laptop + PS3 + ...
    Yep the list can go endless but a new DC5 is about 45k as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭21stone

bucket of ****

all that power and only in rear

what a waste

21stone wrote: »
    bucket of ****

all that power and only in rear

what a waste

Now thats a bit extreme,Have you ever driven one.I can bet you havnt as you would never say this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Could someone take me out of the dark and tell me what a DC5 is? I assume since JHMEG came up with the idea that it is some sort of Honda and would I be right in saying it's some sort of a 'teg?

E92 wrote: »
    Could someone take me out of the dark and tell me what a DC5 is? I assume since JHMEG came up with the idea that it is some sort of Honda and would I be right in saying it's some sort of a 'teg?

Honda Integra

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=755918

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

I'd consider the R32 to be a different car to the GTI, v6 non-turbo 4 wheel drive, smooth dsg/auto gearbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

If you can afford it, and like it, go for it. IMO, it's alot different than a Golf GTI and slightly less common

JHMEG wrote: »

They are totally different cars, its like comparing apples with oranges.
    A FWD coupe with no torque versus an expensive 4wd V6.

They will both drive totally differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

there was one in the traffic ahead of me last .....friday ?..........and it might as well have been a 1.4. Only the two pipes got my attention, and I knew what it was, but really, for that money, a car should shout from the tree-tops.

As others have said. -the tax alone, not to mind it now being in the 36% VRT bracket makes it a dead duck.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    there was one in the traffic ahead of me last .....friday ?..........and it might as well have been a 1.4. Only the two pipes got my attention, and I knew what it was, but really, for that money, a car should shout from the tree-tops.

As others have said. -the tax alone, not to mind it now being in the 36% VRT bracket makes it a dead duck.

Yeah its really like a basic Golf from far away. It should really be eye catching for that kind of price like the new 650bhp golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Some people prefer a bit more subtlety in a performance car. A business owner visiting a client say, last thing you want is the client saying I'm paying this fella to much!

Some people prefer a bit more subtlety in a performance car. A business owner visiting a client say, last thing you want is the client saying I'm paying this fella to much!

That happens in a Ferrari or Lambo,The client says "Wow im paying this guy too much" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

This is why I really like it. It's sportier looking than the GTI, which I also really like, but not too sporty that it looks like an Impreza. €2k a year in tax is pretty hefty though :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

50K will get you a new 2.0T Audi TT. 200bhp FWD though.

Its in the 28% VRT band too from July.
    Maximum speed in km/h
    240 (governed)
    Acceleration 0-100 km/h in sec
    Fuel consumption: urban/extra urban/overall, l/100 km
    10.7 / 6.0 / 7.7
    CO2 mass emission, g/100 km

ronoc wrote: »
    They are totally different cars, its like comparing apples with oranges.
    A FWD coupe with no torque versus an expensive 4wd V6.

They will both drive totally differently.
    They are totally different, and I'm not comparing them.. I would take the DC5 any day as it's a drivers car, and is quicker on the track. Don't forget the R32 has that heavy V6 dragging the nose around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I reckon depreciation on this model would be more severe than a GTI if thinking of buying new. It may have more power, but its a good deal heavier than the GTI.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Vw slipped up with the new MK5 R seriously slipped up,the MK4 R was a special car inside and out no chance of mistaking it for anything else,the MK5 looks too standard,although mechanicaly the MK5 is a far superior car esp in the drive and handling.

Alot to be said for it,not just 4wd but 4motion if you have ever driven a 4motion based car in the wet you will know the super confidence it givesyou in the handling of the car,then there is the V6 sound and probably one of the nicest OEM exhaust notes ever.

High running costs are a bitch though,if i was buying an R32 id buy a MK4 but then i was buying a MK4 R32 i would opt for the MK1 S3 still has the motion but with a turbo and will remap to 280 ish easily,oh and its only a 2.0lt!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

tossy wrote: »
    i would opt for the MK1 S3 still has the motion but with a turbo and will remap to 280 ish easily,oh and its only a 2.0lt!
    1.8T I'm sure you mean?

• Advertisement

Remaps are great

Advertisement