Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT reductions and the Price of Extras

Options
  • 10-12-2007 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Was just thinking today, having read the thread about the guy who said that Lexus had increased the prices of some of their models already by 2-3grand, that all optional extras also incur VRT at the current rate of the car.

So with some cars dropping in VRT by upto 10%, it will be interesting to see if the dealers also drop the cost of their extras like metallic paint, alloys, sun roofs etc.

Wondering if its worthwhile making a note of current prices of extras now and seeing if they also drop come next july.

Another one to watch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

yes, factory fit options should definitely move in-line with the adjusted VRT... e.g. Met paint on a Golf GTI currently costs significantly more than it does on a 1.4... for the same amount of paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

JoeA3 wrote: »
    yes, factory fit options should definitely move in-line with the adjusted VRT... e.g. Met paint on a Golf GTI currently costs significantly more than it does on a 1.4... for the same amount of paint.

Yea it will be interesting all right. Will have to keep an eye on it alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I wouldn't rule out the idea that car prices won't go down by as much as we're expecting but there will be extras normally found on UK spec cars but left out for Ireland because of VRT put in in lieu instead. It would save the manufacturers money by having an identical spec level for Ireland and the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Yeah, strange one this. I have bought in several very high spec cars from the UK and have been lucky enough not to have any VRT charges added on for leather/alloys/ICE etc.

However, guy I know who brings in cars for the company he works for (for directors & reps) told me he gets stung for everything :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

I'm going to watch this very carefully as I've decided to buy a BMW 318i ES next July.

Current Irish prices here, and current uk prices here

The 318i ES has a 10% VRT reduction (30% currently dropping to 20%) from July 2008. The current price of this car on the BMW.ie website is €40650. This should mean the price including VRT will drop from €40650 to €37500.

Like I said, I'm expecting this to be passed on FULLY to the consumer ... I'll be watching very very carefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    I'm going to watch this very carefully as I've decided to buy a BMW 318i ES next July.

Current Irish prices here, and current uk prices here

The 318i ES has a 10% VRT reduction (30% currently dropping to 20%) from July 2008. The current price of this car on the BMW.ie website is €40650. This should mean the price including VRT will drop from €40650 to €37500.

Like I said, I'm expecting this to be passed on FULLY to the consumer ... I'll be watching very very carefully.

Good man Gandalf. I'll be watching this with interest myself. I wouldn't be surprised if we see car specs increase inline with the UK and prices creeeping back up, but for a better sepcced motor.

But I think it's important to see that any VRT reductions on optional extras are passed on the the consumer and it doesn't turn into profiteering by the motor industry.

God knows Irish Motorisits have paid their share over the year and its time to get something back!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

better save off that current price list now, for fear it might.........'disappear' in July...........might be handy to have, as backup......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

galwaytt wrote: »
    better save off that current price list now, for fear it might.........'disappear' in July...........might be handy to have, as backup......

Already done my friend ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Gandalf23, did you not read my post telling you how VRT was calculated?(especially as you asked me to explain how it was done) if you did you'd know that you VRT adjusted figure is wrong(you asked me in this thread).

Advertisement